Sorry - Another M2P thread. Hasselblad camera?
2391 35 2018-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RickC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

So I was just thinking about it and I'm curious.

What makes the camera on the M2P a Hasselblad camera? As opposed to the Zoom camera not being one or the P2P with the 1" sensor not being a Hasselblad? They haven't really discussed what makes it that aside from it having the words printed in white lettering on the camera and a few color profiles (which would be more of a software thing rather than a camera thing).  DJI owns a majority share of Hasselblad so is this basically just a P2P camera put in to a different package with the words HASSELBLAD printed on it so they can use it as a selling point or is there really something different about the camera that makes it a Hasselblad over a normal DJI camera like the others?

I'm not knocking it because I ordered a M2P myself. I was just more curious since that camera name is getting tossed around so much but I'm not really seeing much describing what makes it that aside from the print on it.

2018-8-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Maybe tell us what would make it a hassleblad Camera for you .
2018-8-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. The L1D-20c camera on Mavic 2 Pro was co-engineered between DJI and Hasselblad over the last 2 years, assisting with such vital aspects including lens definition, the image processing engine, image effect optimization as well as Hasselblad’s world-renowned Natural Color Solutions (HNCS). HNCS or the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution is a proprietary color rendering profile that was initially developed for Hasselblad's professional medium format cameras. HNCS, as its name implies, is designed to render lifelike and natural appearing color for a wide variety of subject matter. The result in the L1D-20c means that aerial image makers will have even better image quality than ever before from a drone camera. HNCS is just one aspect of the collaboration between Hasselblad and DJI, the other include lens definition, the image processing engine and image effect optimization. HNCS provides a result that mimics the human vision response in a wide variety of image-making scenarios. With other color profiles, certain subject matter (e.g. vibrant green grass, bright red/orange trees in fall, or skin tones) can prove challenging for the camera to interpret, resulting in unnatural or splotchy appearance. Because HNCS has been optimized to mimic the eye, areas of high detail or vibrant color are now made visually pleasing through smooth color gradations and even tonality. Hope this helps us with regards to your concern. Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-24
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-24 10:03
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. The L1D-20c camera on Mavic 2 Pro was co-engineered between DJI and Hasselblad over the last 2 years, assisting with such vital aspects including lens definition, the image processing engine, image effect optimization as well as Hasselblad’s world-renowned Natural Color Solutions (HNCS). HNCS or the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution is a proprietary color rendering profile that was initially developed for Hasselblad's professional medium format cameras. HNCS, as its name implies, is designed to render lifelike and natural appearing color for a wide variety of subject matter. The result in the L1D-20c means that aerial image makers will have even better image quality than ever before from a drone camera. HNCS is just one aspect of the collaboration between Hasselblad and DJI, the other include lens definition, the image processing engine and image effect optimization. HNCS provides a result that mimics the human vision response in a wide variety of image-making scenarios. With other color profiles, certain subject matter (e.g. vibrant green grass, bright red/orange trees in fall, or skin tones) can prove challenging for the camera to interpret, resulting in unnatural or splotchy appearance. Because HNCS has been optimized to mimic the eye, areas of high detail or vibrant color are now made visually pleasing through smooth color gradations and even tonality. Hope this helps us with regards to your concern. Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a safe flight always.

Thank you so much for responding informatively. That explained it for me perfectly and now it makes sense.
2018-8-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

RickC Posted at 2018-8-24 10:05
Thank you so much for responding informatively. That explained it for me perfectly and now it makes sense.

Hi, no worries. For more information about our new product. Kindly visit our official YouTube tutorials for your reference. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8-vxWY64sBOZVVeCqtTx6OIeyofq_Ver
2018-8-24
Use props
ItOL5arVrD9m
lvl.2
United States

It's marketing, that's it. I'd be surprised if the sensor wasn't a Sony sensor like on the P4P. (btw, you said P2P but I'm sure you mean P4P)

DJI bought a majority stake in Hasselblad a while back, so they effectively own the company. It's in their best interest to try and boost up that brand and vice versa.

Perhaps the lens glass was designed in house, but that's yet to be seen. The most we know for sure is the "color science" was created by Hasselblad… for whatever that's worth.
2018-8-24
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

When it comes to making cameras, Dji is pee-wee football compared to hasselblad which is NFL. The mavic Pro 2 has an actual professional quality camera. Hassebland is the “apple” of camera company’s so we can expect unbelievable quality photos and videos from this thing.....
2018-8-24
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>

Its a Sony sensor, like the rest.
Saying its a co engineering with Hasselblad is like saying Hyundais with the Pininfarina logo is a Ferrari.
I just ordered the M2P, but right after i came across some raw files DNG and mov, and still my P4P records sharper images, so im starting to regret it.
They are still struggling with that smudgy look, and color noise, even at iso 100.
I want a better camera, even if its on a old P4P
2018-8-24
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

ItOL5arVrD9m Posted at 2018-8-24 10:13
It's marketing, that's it. I'd be surprised if the sensor wasn't a Sony sensor like on the P4P. (btw, you said P2P but I'm sure you mean P4P)

DJI bought a majority stake in Hasselblad a while back, so they effectively own the company. It's in their best interest to try and boost up that brand and vice versa.

You are right, I meant P4P. for the past 2 days on every forum and facebook group it's been M2P M2P M2P so I sort of got that burned in my head when I typed P4P.
2018-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very good question.
I guess only users like you will be able to tell soon what it really means.
2018-8-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

ItOL5arVrD9m Posted at 2018-8-24 10:13
It's marketing, that's it. I'd be surprised if the sensor wasn't a Sony sensor like on the P4P. (btw, you said P2P but I'm sure you mean P4P)

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. The camera was designed and applied to the new Mavic 2 Pro, bringing the aerial photography creation experience to a new level, and optimizing lens, image processing, and image effect. By using Hasselblad's Hasselblad Natural Color Solution (HNCS) the camera makes photographers able to achieve utmost color accuracy. Both versions of Mavic 2 are made in Shenzhen, China where DJI is located however in the design process and software creation we tapped into our strategic partners at Hasselblad located in Gothenburg, Sweden, and Denmark. Hope this answers the concern you had for us today. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-24
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-24 10:31
Saying its a co engineering with Hasselblad is like saying Hyundais with the Pininfarina logo is a Ferrari.
I just ordered the M2P, but right after i came across some raw files DNG and mov, and still my P4P records sharper images, so im starting to regret it.

While I mostly agree with you, it's a bit early to declare this...
2018-8-24
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-24 10:47
While I mostly agree with you, it's a bit early to declare this...

One thing is certain, Hasselblad has never made any sensor, they have always been used with third parties digital backs.
The past decade a danish company called Imacon have made their backs, that company was merged with Hasselblad, and 6-7 years ago another german company called Ventizz, aquired 100% of the Hasselblad company, in case someone thought Dji had bought them ;)
2018-8-24
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-24 12:32
One thing is certain, Hasselblad has never made any sensor, they have always been used with third parties digital backs.
The past decade a danish company called Imacon have made their backs, that company was merged with Hasselblad, and 6-7 years ago another german company called Ventizz, aquired 100% of the Hasselblad company, in case someone thought Dji had bought them ;)

Yep,  Sony makes sensors for like 70% of all cameras.
2018-8-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. The L1D-20c camera on Mavic 2 Pro was co-engineered between DJI and Hasselblad over the last 2 years, assisting with such vital aspects including lens definition, the image processing engine, image effect optimization as well as Hasselblad’s world-renowned Natural Color Solutions (HNCS). HNCS or the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution is a proprietary color rendering profile that was initially developed for Hasselblad's professional medium format cameras. HNCS, as its name implies, is designed to render lifelike and natural appearing color for a wide variety of subject matter. The result in the L1D-20c means that aerial image makers will have even better image quality than ever before from a drone camera. HNCS is just one aspect of the collaboration between Hasselblad and DJI, the other include lens definition, the image processing engine and image effect optimization. HNCS provides a result that mimics the human vision response in a wide variety of image-making scenarios. With other color profiles, certain subject matter (e.g. vibrant green grass, bright red/orange trees in fall, or skin tones) can prove challenging for the camera to interpret, resulting in unnatural or splotchy appearance. Because HNCS has been optimized to mimic the eye, areas of high detail or vibrant color are now made visually pleasing through smooth color gradations and even tonality. Hope this helps us with regards to your concern. Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a safe flight always.

Thank you very much for this very competent response indeed!
2018-8-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-24 12:53
Thank you very much for this very competent resonse indeed!

Hi, no worries. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-24 12:32

DJI has bought the majority last year, that is a matter of fact which you can easily research. I am not yet in a position to be able to judge on this new Mavic 2 Pro camera. But if I was a majority owner of Hasselblad, I would be very careful on what to print the name on. And I have no doubt that the camera will be intensely scrutinised just for that.
My order will go out tomorrow ;-)

2018-8-24
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-24 13:09
DJI has bought the majority last year, that is a matter of fact which you can easily research. I am not yet in a position to be able to judge on this new Mavic 2 Pro camera. But if I was a majority owner of Hasselblad, I would be very careful on what to print the name on. And I have no doubt that the camera will be intensely scrutinised just for that.

http://www.ventizz.de/Hasselblad.php

2018-8-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-24 13:14

[view_image]

We are in 2018 now.
2018-8-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

[view_image]

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/ ... elblad-drone-camera
2018-8-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

[view_image]

Think you will clearly see Parent DJI,
A parent company is a company that owns enough voting stock in another firm to control management and operation by doing and influencing or electing its board of directors.
2018-8-24
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>

Anyways, even with the power from the Hasselblad engineers, they werent able to make a camera that was better than the 2 year old P4P camera.
2018-8-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-24 14:17
Anyways, even with the power from the Hasselblad engineers, they werent able to make a camera that was better than the 2 year old P4P camera.

We shall see and come on, they have to keep something in their magic hat for P5 or whatever will come next, don't you think so?
2018-8-24
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

There are separate subforums for this drone so please use the correct subforum to keep it clean(er) here and thank you hehe
2018-8-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Submit the two new Mavic 2s to DxOMark for evaluation and inclusion.

DxOMark benchmarks for popular drone camera sensors
2018-8-24
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-24 14:17

I think you're talking about the Tom's Tech Time images. Those images looked great to me. Remember that he has his own settings on there, I believe sharpness was down -2 so it naturally looked a bit soft. Other than the softness... the dynamic range on those shots are much higher than the P4P. Are you sure you pixel peeped the images?
I'm personally really looking forward it, the dynamic range alone is very nice.
2018-8-24
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Simple answer is DJI buy Hasselblad so they can put the logo and name on their drone
2018-8-24
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-24 15:46
There are separate subforums for this drone so please use the correct subforum to keep it clean(er) here and thank you hehe

Yeah, except there isnt. I actually tried to tag it but there wasnt an option to.
Screenshot_20180824-204341_Chrome.jpg
2018-8-24
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

RickC Posted at 2018-8-24 17:45
Yeah, except there isnt. I actually tried to tag it but there wasnt an option to.

sorry dude it's on my pages. Must have not updated your side. Where you at? I'm Missouri,USA and i see it no problems
2018-8-24
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-24 17:52
sorry dude it's on my pages. Must have not updated your side. Where you at? I'm Missouri,USA and i see it no problems

I am in Iowa myself. I saw the post about them adding it but for some reason it wasnt in my drop down choices. So i debated between Discussion or the camera option.
2018-8-24
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-24 14:30
We shall see and come on, they have to keep something in their magic hat for P5 or whatever will come next, don't you think so?

I agree, it also makes sense, since the Mavic is still cheaper than the P4P.
They will ride the storm off the Mavic 2, then announce the P5, in time for Christmas, thats tactically the best thing, sales wise
2018-8-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-25 00:21
I agree, it also makes sense, since the Mavic is still cheaper than the P4P.
They will ride the storm off the Mavic 2, then announce the P5, in time for Christmas, thats tactically the best thing, sales wise

Two very interesting links have been posted by other forum members here. The first is from one of the developers of the camera giving quite some inside information and on the second sample shots can be downloaded:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/ ... -review/#more-17580

https://www.hasselblad.com/colla ... I%20Mavic%202%20Pro
2018-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m not sure but your starting to sound very silly, you sold your P4Pro bought new M2P, and now your doing your research.
No point in locking the gate after the horse has bolted. (;+).....
2018-8-25
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. The L1D-20c camera on Mavic 2 Pro was co-engineered between DJI and Hasselblad over the last 2 years, assisting with such vital aspects including lens definition, the image processing engine, image effect optimization as well as Hasselblad’s world-renowned Natural Color Solutions (HNCS). HNCS or the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution is a proprietary color rendering profile that was initially developed for Hasselblad's professional medium format cameras. HNCS, as its name implies, is designed to render lifelike and natural appearing color for a wide variety of subject matter. The result in the L1D-20c means that aerial image makers will have even better image quality than ever before from a drone camera. HNCS is just one aspect of the collaboration between Hasselblad and DJI, the other include lens definition, the image processing engine and image effect optimization. HNCS provides a result that mimics the human vision response in a wide variety of image-making scenarios. With other color profiles, certain subject matter (e.g. vibrant green grass, bright red/orange trees in fall, or skin tones) can prove challenging for the camera to interpret, resulting in unnatural or splotchy appearance. Because HNCS has been optimized to mimic the eye, areas of high detail or vibrant color are now made visually pleasing through smooth color gradations and even tonality. Hope this helps us with regards to your concern. Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a safe flight always.

Thank you for your concise explanation it's much appreciated. I knew about HNCS but it was interesting to learn the rest of Hasselblad's involvement.
2018-8-25
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

There's more to a camera than a sensor and if sony make the sensor then that's a good thing. The colour science is applied after the readout from the sensor which is where the Hasselblad magic happens.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-8-25 03:33
Thank you for your concise explanation it's much appreciated. I knew about HNCS but it was interesting to learn the rest of Hasselblad's involvement.

Hi, thank you for the appreciation. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules