Are Android Devices charged by the Mavic 2 Controller?
4941 19 2018-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

*Corrected post on 08.26.18
This was my only gripe with the original Mavic Pro. Flying with an Android device drained the controller's battery faster. Living in the heat of Texas, I couldn't fly with my Apple devices because they would automatically dim the viewing screen. So, can we use the Mavic 2 controller with Android devices without the controller charging the Android device's battery?

2018-8-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

It actually is the other way round, the RC is charging the mobile device. From what I have read so far, with Mavic 2 there will be an option to switch this off. But I am not 100% sure if this will work only for iOS devices or for Android too. In any case you do not have to worry that your mobile will be drained.
2018-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It will be similar to P4Pro in that it will charge your device, with one big difference you will be able to stop it charging your device if not required.
2018-8-25
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-25 11:49
It will be similar to P4Pro in that it will charge your device, with one big difference you will be able to stop it charging your device if not required.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the late response. You mean if the RC will charge the Android devices automatically while connected? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2018-8-26
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-26 10:51
Hi, sorry for the late response. You mean if the RC will charge the Android devices automatically while connected? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Yes, this is what I meant. I have corrected my original post.
2018-8-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Moni Johnson Posted at 2018-8-26 11:27

Hi, sorry for the late response. We will check this scenario to the right department for further clarification. Your patience is highly appreciated. Thank you.
2018-8-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Moni Johnson Posted at 2018-8-26 11:27

To be honest I actually was a bit surprised by your original post. Before I had only read complaints fearing that the Android device would drain the RC. You had been complaining that the RC was draining your Android device in the original post. Good that you have clarified this.
2018-8-27
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-27 08:46
To be honest I actually was a bit surprised by your original post. Before I had only read complaints fearing that the Android device would drain the RC. You had been complaining that the RC was draining your Android device in the original post. Good that you have clarified this.

I absolutely posted incorrect info originally!
2018-8-27
Use props
Merced69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327096 ft
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-27 08:31
Hi, sorry for the late response. We will check this scenario to the right department for further clarification. Your patience is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Is there any plans to turn this off with the MA soon?
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Merced69 Posted at 2018-8-27 11:06
Is there any plans to turn this off with the MA soon?

Hi, sorry that we haven't received any information about this. No worries we have forwarded the issue to our engineers to identify what seems to be the issue and for us to rectify it if the issue would be our end. Thanks for understanding.
2018-8-28
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Mavic Pro even V 1 eats up battery on it's own. It depletes at a rate of about 1% every 115 sec or 1:55
With a fully charged Android device on Fast Charge mode, it will deplete the RC at a rate of 1% every 65 sec or 1:05
With a fully charged Android device with Fast Charge mode disabled, it depletes the RC at a rate of 1% every 96 sec or 1:36

I don't know what the MP2 controller discharge rate is, but given a similar design it is probably close to the same.

I can still fly a good 3 batteries on MP1 with fast charge disabled, and have close to 60% batt life on the RC. That is taking the AC 20 min or so flight, and battery down to 20% and landing.
2018-8-28
Use props
SoCal Dude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 695650 ft
United States

From the M2 User Manual (page 40)...

"The built-in battery has a capacity of 3950 mAh and a maximum run time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. The remote controller charges the mobile device with a charging ability of 500 mA@5V. The remote controller automatically charges Android devices. For iOS devices, first be sure that charging is enabled in DJI GO 4. Charging for iOS devices is disabled by default and needs to be enabled each time the remote controller is powered on"
2018-8-28
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SoCal Dude Posted at 2018-8-28 15:25
From the M2 User Manual (page 40)...

"The built-in battery has a capacity of 3950 mAh and a maximum run time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. The remote controller charges the mobile device with a charging ability of 500 mA@5V. The remote controller automatically charges Android devices. For iOS devices, first be sure that charging is enabled in DJI GO 4. Charging for iOS devices is disabled by default and needs to be enabled each time the remote controller is powered on"

Well damn. I don't want the Mavic 2 Pro then.
2018-9-5
Use props
Mavic 2 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 8-28 08:36
Hi, sorry that we haven't received any information about this. No worries we have forwarded the issue to our engineers to identify what seems to be the issue and for us to rectify it if the issue would be our end. Thanks for understanding.

Hi Tony,

So, I see that for IOS devices everyone now has an option to turn OFF the device charging from the controller.

Can you please let us know if this feature will also be supported in future ANDROID updates?  I'm on latest controller/mavic 2 pro/DJIGO4 app (as of 12/4/18) and still no option with my android device.
2018-12-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mavic 2 Raptor Posted at 12-4 20:00
Hi Tony,

So, I see that for IOS devices everyone now has an option to turn OFF the device charging from the controller.

Hi, thank you for your feedback. It was related to the android system and hardware. The Android phone needs on-going 500mA to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the Charging mode. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-5
Use props
Mavic 2 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-5 08:36
Hi, thank you for your feedback. It was related to the android system and hardware. The Android phone needs on-going 500mA to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the Charging mode. Thank you for understanding.

Thanks for this info, Tony.   Well that is unfortunate because I'm sure that the android device will not only be drawing 500mah (unless you have some type of electrical current limiter designed into your controller) because the tablet or phone also will be utilizing CPU power, GPS power, screen power, etc and I'm sure It could be drawing much more than 500mah.  With a 2970mah battery in the controller, I could see an android tablet plus the current draw of the controller significantly draining that controller battery much faster than just the controller itself.
2018-12-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mavic 2 Raptor Posted at 12-6 13:18
Thanks for this info, Tony.   Well that is unfortunate because I'm sure that the android device will not only be drawing 500mah (unless you have some type of electrical current limiter designed into your controller) because the tablet or phone also will be utilizing CPU power, GPS power, screen power, etc and I'm sure It could be drawing much more than 500mah.  With a 2970mah battery in the controller, I could see an android tablet plus the current draw of the controller significantly draining that controller battery much faster than just the controller itself.

Sorry about this. It is recommended to charge the mobile device fully before connecting with the RC. If there is anything new, we'll release it. Appreciate your support and attention.
2018-12-10
Use props
DanCernese
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32172 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-12-10 03:01
Sorry about this. It is recommended to charge the mobile device fully before connecting with the RC. If there is anything new, we'll release it. Appreciate your support and attention.

This is not a realistic recommendation.  My Samsung android tablet still had 94% charge and is very very quickly draining my RC.
2019-4-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DanCernese Posted at 4-19 08:11
This is not a realistic recommendation.  My Samsung android tablet still had 94% charge and is very very quickly draining my RC.

I understand your situation, but this was related to the android system as the Android phone needs on-going 500mA to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the Charging mode. Sorry about that.
2019-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules