5687 73 2018-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27273678 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So, whilst everyone throws out there Mavic Pros and Mavic Airs and runs towards the Mavic 2 heres why you shouldn't!

Portability:
The Mavic Air is half the weight and size of the new Mavic 2..... the spare batteries are also half the weight!

Price:
The Price of the mavic air is now not bad at all, especailly as DJI is chucking in a free battery or DJI Tello! Take a LOOK!

Camera:
The Mavic Air records the exact same resolution as the Mavic 2 at the exact same frame rate so unless your into intense colour grading then once its on youtube it will make no differnce at all!

So, pickup a second hand reduced price one now and enjoy an incredible piece of kit that came out in 2018! But most of all, keep creating incredible content!
Thanks

Just check out some of the footage the mavic air is capable of!

2018-8-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Very nice footage i must say.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-8-25 12:05
Very nice footage i must say.

Cheers Suren, feel free to Subscribe if you want to see more, cheers
2018-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You are correct, there is no substitute for a skilled photographer and these were great drones when they came out and still are, and capable of really great video/photography, your own above is no exception.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-25 12:10
You are correct, there is no substitute for a skilled photographer and these were great drones when they came out and still are, and capable of really great video/photography, your own above is no exception.

Incredible bits of technology!

Thanks man
2018-8-25
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The mavic air has a much lower range, much lower flight time and a far more inferior camera.
Resolution and megapixels are a tiny part of what actually makes a camera good.  The air still has crappy dynamic range and noise even at base ISO.
Your footage has kind of proved the point with compression artefacts and noise in the shadows and burnt out highlights.  Its OK within the limitations of the camera BUT the camera is very limited.
2018-8-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Mavic Air continues to be a great aircraft producing very good footage and I have never regretted the purchase for sure. Nevertheless I have also ordered the M2P and I am looking forward to it.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-25 12:21
The mavic air has a much lower range, much lower flight time and a far more inferior camera.
Resolution and megapixels are a tiny part of what actually makes a camera good.  The air still has crappy dynamic range and noise even at base ISO.
Your footage has kind of proved the point with compression artefacts and noise in the shadows and burnt out highlights.  Its OK within the limitations of the camera BUT the camera is very limited.

Although I partly agree, this is not what the post is really about..... Its half the price of the new mavic 2 and I am happy with a few KM range.... My footage has no post editing and all the camera settings are in auto so its not perfect. For the average drone lover a Mavic Air is fantastic! Unless your really into that camera stuff!
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-25 12:55
Mavic Air continues to be a great aircraft producing very good footage and I have never regretted the purchase for sure. Nevertheless I have also ordered the M2P and I am looking forward to it.

No doubt the MP2 is a better aircraft for most things but for pure portability I expect youll still find yourself taking the mavic air out with you
2018-8-25
Use props
RickC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Why do people always take sides? Cant we like all the Mavics the same?

It's bad enough when you see all of these "android is better... no Apple is better" but now we do it with the exact same brand. Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom... they are all amazing drones, amazing cameras and they all have their pluses and minuses. We are all here for one like minded reason thiugh.. our love for aerial photography, videography and flying drones.
2018-8-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

DJI_ALEX Posted at 2018-8-25 12:58
No doubt the MP2 is a better aircraft for most things but for pure portability I expect youll still find yourself taking the mavic air out with you

I shall make up my mind on that once I have first hand experience. I prefer to act on facts rather than speculation.
2018-8-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

RickC Posted at 2018-8-25 13:07

It's bad enough when you see all of these "android is better... no Apple is better" but now we do it with the exact same brand. Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom... they are all amazing drones, amazing cameras and they all have their pluses and minuses. We are all here for one like minded reason thiugh.. our love for aerial photography, videography and flying drones.

I couldn't agree more, thank you very much for your post!
2018-8-25
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I just love drones in general.
I have a DJI spark and a Yuneec typhoon q500+
I like them both very much.
Each has its own quirks and benefits that the other don’t.
And someday I wish to get Mavic 2 zoom

Safe flying.
Alex.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RickC Posted at 2018-8-25 13:07

It's bad enough when you see all of these "android is better... no Apple is better" but now we do it with the exact same brand. Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom... they are all amazing drones, amazing cameras and they all have their pluses and minuses. We are all here for one like minded reason thiugh.. our love for aerial photography, videography and flying drones.

Very true, the point of this post is saying you dont need to scrap your older mavic just to buy a new one, just film and be happy!
2018-8-25
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

DJI_ALEX Posted at 2018-8-25 12:55
Although I partly agree, this is not what the post is really about..... Its half the price of the new mavic 2 and I am happy with a few KM range.... My footage has no post editing and all the camera settings are in auto so its not perfect. For the average drone lover a Mavic Air is fantastic! Unless your really into that camera stuff!

For anyone that wants camera quality the MP2 is a huge upgrade.

If you want zero effort, social media video than yes the air is fine.

A lot of us fine the MP (and MA) camera to be utterly awful so yes we "need" a MP2 to produce acceptable footage.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alex Batalov Posted at 2018-8-25 13:20
I just love drones in general.
I have a DJI spark and a Yuneec typhoon q500+
I like them both very much.

Exactly, doesnt matter what you have as long as you have fun! You dont need the latst and greatest!
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-25 13:21

True, but to the average person they both produce great footage
2018-8-25
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

DJI_ALEX Posted at 2018-8-25 13:23
True, but to the average person they both produce great footage

Define "great".

Ive had people that know nothing about photos comment on the weird looking artefacts and white skies before now.

Like i said, acceptable for social media.  Not a lot else.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-25 13:41
Define "great".

Ive had people that know nothing about photos comment on the weird looking artefacts and white skies before now.

Fairplay, but they are still great devices
2018-8-25
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I think you will find that the vast majority of drone users are hobbyists not professionals.
Looking at the mavic range from that perspective they are all very good machines and all are just as portable as each other when you compare to the phantom range.
As far as image quality goes well i think that really depends on the individuals requirments, for the vast majority of users i see no point in upgrading to the m2p but for proffesionals then yes it would have a great advantage to them to upgrade.
I have owned drones for quite a number of years but only owned dji products for the last year or so i love my p4p for its image quality but i bought the mavic pro for its portability.
Would i buy a m2p the answer is no why would i upgrade im not a proffesional i dont have any need for those new features.
You guys all talk about how the air is so much more portable than the pro etc well step back and look outside the box guys n girls the whole range of mavic drones is extremely portable.
My very first drone used to take up the whole boot of my car now i can fit a far superior drone with a camera that is 100x better in my pocket.
You guys that compare this to that make me laugh. Just get out and enjoy your drones and have fun instead of trying to out do each other.
2018-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-25 13:21

I have to say all that is not strictly true, I have seen some incredible footage shot on P3’s , it was incredible because of very talented photographers/videographers, and some excellent work in post, better cameras will not substitute ever for better and more creative photographers , but if you think or dream that you can be more creative with better equipment, then go for it, it won’t necessarily make you better, you won’t be any worse, and it should give you the drive to become as good as you can, and have a great time doing it.
2018-8-25
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thanks for your insight with the Mavic Air.
I have the MP and I am very happy with it. Even with the new M2P coming out, I am guessing DJI is working on the next new generations of drones.
If I purchase a new drone it will be in a few months. I just want to see if the M2P lives up to all the hype.
2018-8-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't need one I want one
2018-8-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Nicely done - thanks for sharing.
2018-8-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Nicely done - thanks for sharing.
2018-8-25
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

You figure out your budget and what you can afford to lose in the sky because the radio control flying hobby is risky.  Then you select the best drone to fit your needs.  Short aerial 1080p shots of the area I am running around in with my handheld or tripod camera is all I need so,...,maybe eventually a Mavic Air when my Spark is inoperable/broken.

A Spark Drop 4.gif
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-8-25 19:14
You figure out your budget and what you can afford to lose in the sky because the radio control flying hobby is risky.  Then you select the best drone to fit your needs.  Short aerial 1080p shots of the area I am running around in with my handheld or tripod camera is all I need so,...,maybe eventually a Mavic Air when my Spark is inoperable/broken.

Its all relative to your needs, some of the footage shot on the spark will be much more impresive than that of the Mp2
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-8-25 19:14

Its all relative to your needs, some of the footage shot on the spark will be much more impresive than that of the Mp2
2018-8-25
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

DJI_ALEX Posted at 2018-8-25 13:21
Very true, the point of this post is saying you dont need to scrap your older mavic just to buy a new one, just film and be happy!

Very true DJI_ALEX! Can't agree more. Stunning footage BTW, congratulations
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-25 22:49
Very true DJI_ALEX! Can't agree more. Stunning footage BTW, congratulations

Thank you
2018-8-25
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer

Spain

Guys, I have a question.
How do you reply to someone’s quote so that in your message first appears the other persons quote.
Like it was done in the latest post before this one.
I clicked on everything but I still can’t figure out how to reply to someone’s quote.

Thanks and safe flying.
Alex.
2018-8-26
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Great footage here Alex. I agree that the Air is the choice for portability and it takes very good video, Wonderful video, especially for all of us here that are not professionals by any means. The pros in this business don't hang around and troll this forum to quip about which drone is best. They have done their research and are hanging 3000 dollar cameras off the bottom of hex quads and inspires. some of them have two 3000 dollar + cameras hanging off the bottom of a quad and one cameras is FLIR, They can't be bothered with the mavic series quads. The mavics have their niche, and are wonderful pieces of tech for the price, but it isn't for the pros in the buisness.
2018-8-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Alex Batalov Posted at 2018-8-26 05:29
Guys, I have a question.
How do you reply to someone’s quote so that in your message first appears the other persons quote.
Like it was done in the latest post before this one.

Cut and paste.....
2018-8-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Alex Batalov Posted at 2018-8-26 05:29
Guys, I have a question.
Like it was done in the latest post before this one.

By clicking on the reply button of the other persons post which also triggers a notification to that person. This is important when responding to a DJI Admistrator here. Without getting the notification it is difficult for them to notice that you have written to them.

Reply Button.JPG
2018-8-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bill B Posted at 2018-8-26 06:43
Great footage here Alex. I agree that the Air is the choice for portability and it takes very good video, Wonderful video, especially for all of us here that are not professionals by any means. The pros in this business don't hang around and troll this forum to quip about which drone is best. They have done their research and are hanging 3000 dollar cameras off the bottom of hex quads and inspires. some of them have two 3000 dollar + cameras hanging off the bottom of a quad and one cameras is FLIR, They can't be bothered with the mavic series quads. The mavics have their niche, and are wonderful pieces of tech for the price, but it isn't for the pros in the buisness.

I wouldn’t go that far, if you think all professionals are carrying massive cases through airports , to get only aerial footage/photographs, your wrong, many many professionals using both P4Pro and Mavic Pro , with astonishing results, I think if you watched bigger picture you will clearly see amazing footage shot using M2P and Zoom, I have seen much worse footage by pros using I2 with its top of the range cameras .
One thing we will always see is there is no substitute for talent and creativity, and the amazing footage that can be obtained by all these aircraft. It has nothing to do with mines bigger than yours.
2018-8-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Great footage here Alex. I agree that the Air is the choice for portability and it takes very good video, Wonderful video, especially for all of us here that are not professionals by any means. The pros in this business don't hang around and troll this forum to quip about which drone is best. They have done their research and are hanging 3000 dollar cameras off the bottom of hex quads and inspires. some of them have two 3000 dollar + cameras hanging off the bottom of a quad and one cameras is FLIR, They can't be bothered with the mavic series quads. The mavics have their niche, and are wonderful pieces of tech for the price, but it isn't for the pros in the buisness.

I fully agree with hallmark007 here above. I have seen plenty of footage done even with Spark in extraordinary quality that I am far from even having come close to until now. I hope to get there some day, but it will require a lot more training, experience plus the ability to "grasp the right subjects and moments".
2018-8-26
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer

Spain

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-26 07:17
By clicking on the reply button of the other persons post which also triggers a notification to that person. This is important when responding to a DJI Admistrator here. Without getting the notification it is difficult for them to notice that you have written to them.

Thank you very much
2018-8-26
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

If you don't want one, then don't buy one.
Why do you feel a need to tell others what they should do?

I have a Mavic Air and like it.
I have ordered a Mavic 2 Pro because I want one, and I can afford it.

2018-8-26
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-8-26 08:38
If you don't want one, then don't buy one.
Why do you feel a need to tell others what they should do?

Im not telling people what to do.... Im simply saying, if your new to drones or looking for an upgrade here is why you should consider the MA rather than going straight to Mp2, hope you like the new drone
2018-8-26
Use props
DJI_ALEX
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep, belive it or not I am actusally a bit of a pro myself..... Not in filming, thats just a hobby!

But mavics are still great for portability, thanks, pleased you enjoyed that quick little edit
2018-8-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules