What if I do not UPDATE software/firmware?
1593 10 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tomslk
lvl.1

Indonesia

If I choose not to update my firmware and software is there any downside? I have not had any issues with my Phant 2 Vision + V3 drone as it came out of the box 3 months ago. I know there are a couple of new updates but it appears people are having all kinds of issues.

If I do not update will it cause issues I may not be thinking about?
2015-5-27
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

i have my P2 four 5 months with no firmware update flighing non naza mode.
i have make 30 flight at the moment with not serius problems.
maybe i'm wrong and do a big mistake, but i choose that because it's working perfect for me. (at the moment)
2015-5-28
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Sorry but I am the opposite, the firmware updates are put out for a reason. Could be a simple change or could be a fix for a know issue. I do the update and so far have had no problems with them other than having a problem with the firmware killing my gimbal. DJI took care of that and replaced my camera and gimbal unit. My second bird didn't have any problem. If you read the info on the update they tell you what changes were made. Some are minor as no fly zones and others to fix issues with the bird itself. The last updat to 3.14 was kind of stupid for all except for the area intended but they still have to put it out for all birds. A lot of time their is a lot of hype blaming problems on upgrades when the finger can't be pointed some where's else.

Would. E similar to not doing the Windows upgrades on you computer. A lot of bug fixes and patches to make the Windows more efficient and protected.
Alway a lot of hype about upgrades but most are for the good of the user and the product. There are firmware upgrade made all the time to internet routers, camera and really anything that is software/firmware functional.
The choice is yours but I wouldn't want to miss out on a fix that is need for the bird.
2015-5-28
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

do you update your PC's firmware?  if so you probably want to update your quad's firmware.
2015-5-28
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-28 18:45
Sorry but I am the opposite, the firmware updates are put out for a reason. Could be a simple change ...

I have a microsoft surfuce i updateed every week (auto update) crashed i down grated
i have a pc , the same story
i have a dvd drive i firmware update and then became to cd player

if i must upgrade a divice to fix a problem and make another one ... there is no point

but again meybe i'm totaly wrong!
2015-5-28
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

The DJI Firmware Police will be after you......
2015-5-28
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Personally I always update but if you don't want to that's fine, just remember that to avoid a firmware mismatch error you need to keep all your firmware as it is now, so don't update the vision app or RC.

2015-5-28
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Sometimes when you update you have to install new drivers. Same with DJI sometimes when you update you have to install new firmware. Most PC problems can be corrected I.E. driver for the dvd rom. Sometimes all it takes is a codex to play DVDs when they couldn't before. The correct software/ firmware with the right revision makes all the difference in functionality. Some updates are safety items and those are needed.  It's like trying to open a Microsoft Word document and your using Word Perfect. Older copies would do it until they start crossing platforms. Same as with IOS and Android. Apps don't work from one to another. We update our phones and our tablets and so we should update our Phantom to. Work through the issues. Use the forum, users helping users!
2015-5-28
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

lol, I learned years ago never ever update windows or it will stop working, I work for a huge company 60,000 plus windows PC's and we disable windows updates on every single one to prevent them from breaking the computers.

I did do the firmware update and I am having issues with all my batteries now, Still flys fine but I can not trust the battery readings at all. I have been using a stop watch and only fly for 10 minutes before I land and replace battery
2015-5-28
Use props
kss113
lvl.2
United States

Hmm. I have upgraded my phantom every time without any issues.  I am also in IT and upgrade my pc's laptop, tablets etc..  all the time no issues, especially on windows update Tuesday every 2nd Tuesday of the month.
2015-6-2
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

I am at the conclusion that updating to 3.14 has changed my  led flash sequence for compass calibration. In NAZA mode, after the vertical rotation I would get 1 green flash then 3 red flashes followed by 1 green indicating satellite status. Now at the end of the vertical rotation I get 3 red flashes followed by a series of fast green flashes for 2 seconds or so then it would go into the satellite status mode. Before the update I never got a failed compass calibration but after the update it seems to be more sensitive. About 1 out of 6 calibrations fails and it is indicated by continuous red flashes.
2015-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules