Angry birds.
2499 37 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark_One
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112123 ft
South Africa

After getting my MA a couple of weeks ago, I decided to first test out the controls and some of the feautres in my backyard before going exploring.
Had a near run in with an Egyptian Goose when it swooped down on the drone whilst landing after testing the precision takeoff.

Luckily it decided rather not and took evasive manuvers just passing under the drone.

Anyone else had any encounters with angry birds?

Angry goose.

Angry goose.
2018-8-27
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geese are super territorial, especially when nesting.  With that said, that’s an awesome photo.  I just try to avoid birds as much as possible and give them there space.  It was long their skies before ours.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-27 04:56
Geese are super territorial, especially when nesting.  With that said, that’s an awesome photo.  I just try to avoid birds as much as possible and give them there space.  It was long there skies before ours.

Thanks for the response, now that I know they're in the area I avoid backyard tests as I am aware of their territorial impulses - having been chased by them before even owning a drone.  Luckily it was just a simple takeoff/landing exercise, I think had I been flying around it might have followed through.
2018-8-27
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Geese? No. But I have had the occasional fly by from hawks and an eagle. I fly out in the country a lot and I always seem to have a "squadron" of birds (usually swallows) circling the drone as I fly. I can't figure out if they are just curious or they think I'm one of them. As above, geese are territorial and they are probably in a class all by themselves. On the farm, geese would chase me around the yard when I was a kid, so I wouldn't be surprised if they challenged your drone on occasion.

Might be something that you're just aware of and pick your take off spot to avoid encountering them. But yes, that's an awesome photo.
2018-8-27
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Mighty angry Egyption Goose there. Cool shot.
2018-8-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

What a fantastic and lucky shot, thank you very much!
2018-8-27
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I've been swarmed by swallows. More than i could count circling closely as i hovered. Absolutely Awesome photo you got there!
2018-8-27
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is an awesome shot. I'm sure it was a pretty scary experience!
I was engaged in 'avoidance maneuvers'  this weekend as well...  but no camera shots nearly as good as that!!
2018-8-27
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome Pic!!!
2018-8-27
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

I have had some seagulls buzz my drone over water.  It was a bit terrifying...
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-27 07:14
Geese? No. But I have had the occasional fly by from hawks and an eagle. I fly out in the country a lot and I always seem to have a "squadron" of birds (usually swallows) circling the drone as I fly. I can't figure out if they are just curious or they think I'm one of them.  As above, geese are territorial and they are probably in a class all by themselves. On the farm, geese would chase me around the yard when I was a kid, so I wouldn't be surprised if they challenged your drone on occasion.

Might be something that you're just aware of and pick your take off spot to avoid encountering them. But yes, that's an awesome photo.

Even though I don't have that many flights under my belt I always try to take into account the nearby birdlife/wildlife.  Drone was already coming to land when I noticed this guy flying overhead next it suddenly made a u-turn which turned into a dive bomb towards me. Not surprised though as have you I to have been chased many times by the likes of farmyard geese and ducks.

Was quite chuffed to end up with an image after the flyby as I've had somewhat an obsession with photographing birds for quite sometime, namely birds of prey. Some interesting experiences there as well.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-27 08:28
What a fantastic and lucky shot, thank you very much!

Extremely lucky but I'll take it
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

FlySD Posted at 2018-8-27 09:09
I have had some seagulls buzz my drone over water.  It was a bit terrifying...

I'm already slightly nervous when flying over water so naturally I think most people would find that terrifying.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Many thanks!
2018-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that looked bad.
Yes, I had a lot of swallows swarming around my bird on some occasions.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

3-D Posted at 2018-8-27 08:55
That is an awesome shot. I'm sure it was a pretty scary experience!
I was engaged in 'avoidance maneuvers'  this weekend as well...  but no camera shots nearly as good as that!!

I think my heart may have skipped a beat for a second as it was only my first day of flying...
One of those images you don't plan for. I work as photographer and often get myself into sightly hazardous/awkward situations for the sake of the shot so I would say it was mixture of reflex reaction and luck.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-27 11:20
Wow, that looked bad.
Yes, I had a lot of swallows swarming around my bird on some occasions.

Was definitely a close call also based on the feedback it would seem swallows are naturally curious when it comes to drones.
2018-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mark_One Posted at 2018-8-27 11:42
Was definitely a close call also based on the feedback it would seem swallows are naturally curious when it comes to drones.

Yes, that is my experience too.
But they do ruin the shot......
2018-8-27
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark_One Posted at 2018-8-27 11:24
I think my heart may have skipped a beat for a second as it was only my first day of flying...
One of those images you don't plan for. I work as photographer and often get myself into sightly hazardous/awkward situations for the sake of the shot so I would say it was mixture of reflex reaction and luck.

I'm working hard to get to making photography a profession.  
Believe me, the flying gets better and better.  As a professional photographer, you probably already see things differently the most other people.

You'll start to see every place and location with a fresh view in no time.  Pack it, and keep it with you!  you'll find yourself using it more often than you think!
2018-8-27
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

Last weekend I had a humming bird attack my MA.  I did not get any pictures though, he was too fast.
2018-8-27
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome shot!!
2018-8-27
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

That is awesome I set it as my background at work for a few hours. Made me laugh every time I saw it.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

3-D Posted at 2018-8-27 12:34
I'm working hard to get to making photography a profession.  
Believe me, the flying gets better and better.  As a professional photographer, you probably already see things differently the most other people.

Definitely some of the shots I've taken so far have been in areas that I travel through on a daily basis and already it's opened the door for countless new perspectives. I've already made a list of locations I would like to revisit with the MA so many adventures to come.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Packer Backer Posted at 2018-8-27 16:55
That is awesome I set it as my background at work for a few hours. Made me laugh every time I saw it.

2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Thanks!  
2018-8-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome capture   
2018-8-28
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Thank you kindly
2018-8-28
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

I'd title it
"You came to the wrong neighborhood!"
2018-8-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome   
2018-8-28
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

FntX Posted at 2018-8-28 00:44
I'd title it
"You came to the wrong neighborhood!"

Had that exact phrase pop into my head just after it happened.
2018-8-28
Use props
Sam Lantz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 25751486 ft
Sweden

Amazing shot, I have Ravens and swallows chasing my drone quite often :-)
2018-8-29
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

Sam Lantz Posted at 2018-8-29 00:40
Amazing shot, I have Ravens and swallows chasing my drone quite often :-)

Thanks, it seems most people have had encounters with swallows. As for Ravens I'm always a bit weary , on a camping trip once had one steal food from my plate while I was eating...
2018-8-29
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-8-27 13:07
Last weekend I had a humming bird attack my MA.  I did not get any pictures though, he was too fast.

Humming birds can be lightening fast. I would be a little less concerned of them causing a crash  due to their size though.
2018-8-29
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

Cool photo
2018-8-29
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
South Africa

2018-8-29
Use props
Edward470
lvl.2

Bangladesh

Yes, I did it. But with the angry birds game. Ha ha...
2020-5-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's one angry Egyptian goose.    Great capture.
2022-1-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Seems like one of those shots that certainly are unexpected, but once you get them, you will be happy you caught it. Of course, it might not be worth it in the long run to risk being attacked by those.

Luckily, my only experiences with angry birds have been with the game... which is of Finnish origin by the way
2022-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules