Samsung Note 9 Issue
5874 13 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansac71f21f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48442 ft
United States

Anyone else having issues with a Samsung Note 9 connecting to a Spark via Controller?
My WIFI connects but APP never sees Spark.

I just got a new Samsung Note 9, I used the Samsung software to copy my old phone (S8+) to the new Note 9.I had not used my Spark for awhile, and was at a friends house and wanted to show them the Spark, when I connected to the Spark it wanted me to update the controller and it was not optional.
I tried to do the update, but it seemed to time out, I think that time out was just downloading the update file, but I am not sure.
Anyway that timed out and I decided to reconnect to the Spark Wifi and told it to forget the SSID, when I tried to connect back I had forgotten the password (I did change it from 12341234 and the copy from old phone to new phone carried it over I guess). Since I could not remember it I googled the way to rest my controller to defaults. To do that I held down the controller power buttom for 9 seconds and it reset.

I then get connected fine via the Note 9 on the SSID, it says I am getting a IP (192.168.1.20) but when I open the DJI GO 4 APP it just says "Disconnected". I think once it did say connected, but I had to swap back to my internet WIFI to download the update again, then when swapping back to the Spark it again would never say connected.
Since then I have tied MANY times to connect to the Spark on my Note 9 and even though the WIFI says connected it never says Connected in the DJI APP.

I called support, they told me to uninstall the APP and reinstall and reinstall. I did that, but same issue.
They then asked me to connect via an old phone if possible, I had a old Note 4, that has been sitting around that did have DJI APP on it, I tried that it connects fine!! No issues that I can tell connecting, but I have not flown with it. (It is a POS)
Support said the Samsung Note 9 is not yet supported! which sucks cause it is a brand new top of the line phone.

So I I figured posting this here to see if anyone else maybe is having issues with a Samsung Note 9 also may be the next best step.

I honestly would prefer never using a phone with a Drone agian, they should sell a more expensive controller with the screen a app built in maybe.

2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there,  thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the Inconvenience that you have faced. Regarding with that I would suggest to give a try using an OTG cable for connecting the device to the Remote and please keep us posted whenever you're able to try it. Thanks!
2018-8-27
Use props
fansac71f21f
lvl.1
United States

Ok I tried with a OTG cable and it connects! But then says it needs a firmware update for the controller, it then says it can not use the OTG connection to do the update.
It seems strange that when I connect with my older Note 4 phone it connects and says nothing about an update.
Also OTG is a good test, but I would like my WIFI to work anyway.

2018-8-27
Use props
fansac71f21f
lvl.1
United States

OK so my old Note 4 was connecting fine by never said anything about the update, but that phone has no mobile connection, only WIFI, so maybe that has something to do with that? If so it seems strange the software is not smarter about looking at your drone and downloading updates while on WIFI and having it ready to go.
I connected the Note 4 via OTG and then connected to WIFI internet, it tehn said I needed to update on my older Note 4! I then downloaded the update, but even though I was connected on OTG it would not push the software to the drone until I swapped back to the Spark WIFI, then it updated both the Spark and the Controller both and it completed fine.
I then went back to Note 9 to see if that had any effect on WIFI and it still will not connect via WIFI! Which really sucks cause that phone makes the Note 4 look like old crap.
2018-8-27
Use props
fansac71f21f
lvl.1
United States

The Note 9 will now work via OTG only, but not WIFI at all. I would love to know if this is just because of my Note 9 has an issue or if anyone else has an issue with the Note 9 connecting via WIFI.
2018-8-27
Use props
Lucas_Skyline
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2822 ft

Quick question: does the note 9 fit in the spark controller (even with OTG)? Many thanks
2018-8-28
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Lucas_Skyline Posted at 2018-8-28 06:59
Quick question: does the note 9 fit in the spark controller (even with OTG)? Many thanks

yes.  i use a NOTE 5 SAMSUNG
2018-8-28
Use props
fansac71f21f
lvl.1
United States

The Note 9 does fit also, it is tight but with no case it fits.
2018-8-28
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

nice phone
2018-8-28
Use props
fansac71f21f
lvl.1
United States

Yes, wish it worked with Spark WIFI! Seems strange DJI does not test new phones as the are launched.
2018-8-30
Use props
Joerg Duesmann
lvl.1
Flight distance : 134524 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,
do you try to switch off the "mobile data" in the front menu of your phone? (Same menu when you switch on torch or mobile hotspot)
Have a Note 8 and same problem. After i switch the mobile data off the connection was fine.
Dont forget to switch it back on after flight ;)
Let me know if it works.
Regards
2018-9-2
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try using with the phone in "airplane mode" Then just enable JUST WIFI ( if connecting to the remote using a cable just leave WIFI off also)....Also, verify that the phone isn't jumping to another "remembered WIFI connection because the one to the spark or controller does not have or need an internet connection and some phones default is to disconnect a connection without internet and jump to one that DOES
2018-9-2
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Have a look in your phones WiFi settings
2018-9-2
Use props
djiuser_xHooHMMIp57r
New

Turkey

What kind of cable did you use to connect note 9 to the controller? Does a simple USB-USBc cable work?
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules