CAA Close Proximity Permissions
1074 6 2015-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi,

Does anyone have this permission or know where I can find info on it.

I'll be intrigued to know what the requirements are for it.

Ive been trawling the CAA website / docs but cant find anything on it, although understand it exists.

Cheers
2015-5-28
Use props
Scotflieger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
United Kingdom

What do you mean by close proximity permissions?  If you want to get closer than the 50m rule then the person, building simply has to be under your control.  If you mean getting close in congested areas then you are looking at the new CAP 722 UAS Operational Saftey Case with the Vol 3 safety assessment. This is still embryonic and I understand no such permissions have yet been issued. Class 1 sub-7kg RPAs have an exception for congested areas but again no closer than 50m to any person, building, vehicle, etc.
2015-5-28
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Scotflieger Posted at 2015-5-29 06:26
...no closer than 50m to any person, building, vehicle, etc.

Sure beats the heck out of the US FAA limitation imposed on those who get 333 exemptions - they insist on 500 feet, which is impossible to achieve in practice unless you're flying in the desert.  (50m = about 160 feet).
2015-5-29
Use props
Scotflieger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
United Kingdom

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-29 21:08
Sure beats the heck out of the US FAA limitation imposed on those who get 333 exemptions - they ins ...

Hi Pete, the UK CAA has been very proactive in working out how to regulate commercial use of RPAs and developing safe operational procedures.  They are probably world leaders.

For Class 1 0-7kg RPAs, like Inspire 1 and Phantoms, the 50m rule is universal for persons, buildings, vehicles and vessels NOT under the control of the Remote Pilot (RP).  This reduces to 30m during takeoff and landing.  'Under the control' means that, for example, a client has given permission for you to operate close to his premises and properly briefly staff.  Then it for the RP to do a risk assessment to say how close it is safe to fly to the subject.  Personally, I would not get closer than 2m from a building or 5m from a person.  The other limit is no closer than 150m or over organised groups of more than 1000 people (eg. concerts or sporting events).

All other aviation restrictions apply as for other aircraft (ie. airports, danger areas, restricted areas).
2015-5-29
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi Scotflieger, yes that's it in congested areas and now I recall Vol 3 is in early days from ground school.

Its going to be intriguing to see when this will be implemented, its imperative to part of my work which is mainly in congested areas.
2015-5-29
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi Pete, that is a crazy and ridiculous figure!

I was told USA were given the chance to be the leading authority on UAV governance but messed it up and it got took off them, not sure of the details though so take that with a pinch of salt.
2015-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules