What drone for beginner's kind of intense training
866 6 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CoopSTAY
lvl.2
Brazil

Hi,

I am about to buy my first drone and finding it hard to decide which one, maybe you can help me.

I decided to start to work in the inspections field in the near future, therefore my objective is to quickly accumulate flight hours in order to become a good enough pilot as fast as I can.

So there is a need for relatively long practice sessions (and thus multiple extra batteries). I cannot fly on my neighborhood because there are lots of buildings there, so I am going to have to go out only to train, and I will want to make each time count!

At first, I thought a more affordable product (such as Spark) was ideal for a begginer's training, but its low max flight time can become a pain during my sessions! Moreover, I wonder if such an intense usage pattern (above average, maybe) would require a stronger product, like a Phantom, regarded by DJI as an "entry-level professional" product, while I see the Spark more like a kind of toy.

What would you do? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks!
2018-8-29
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft

The Spark is a great set of training wheels. I now have a Phantom 4Adv as my second drone. I'm glad I went through all the training motions on the Spark. I would have killed the Phantom during the training process, probably a few times over.   Unlike most sets of training wheels I don't want to get rid of the Spark once lessions are learned, the Spark has remained my main drone.  Battery life? Yes it's 12min in the real world, but it's more than enough time to fly any mission that I need. I have 4 spares when I just want to fly around.  Best of luck in this awesome hobby
2018-8-29
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

I would get Spark and have at least 2 spare battery!
2018-8-29
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I was planning on starting drone work in the near future, I'd buy the drone I think I'd need to do my work. That would allow me to learn everything I need to know about the drone I'd actually be using in my work.

If you decide to buy a cheaper drone, makes sure it's at least a DJI drone. All consumer DJI drones fly the same. If you learn to fly one, you'll be able to fly any of them.
2018-8-29
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

All the DJI drones have a simulator mode which allows you to fly...without flying...right off the mobile device screen using the RC...just like you would real world.  The simulator helped me a lot, initially.
2018-8-29
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi folks,

I concur that Sparky gives lots of fun flying it. Battery flight time is not really an issue for a beginner.
But IMHO Sparky is not really good for getting more confidence in flying drones, because it can't be deliberately put to ATTI mode.
I *hope* DJI will add that to a future version though.

If you plan to go to bigger drones, it essential that you can safely control your bird just with ATTI mode. Its the law in many countries.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-8-30
Use props
CoopSTAY
lvl.2
Brazil

I appreciate a lot all the help.

So, my two concerns about Spark, as I pointed out --- low max flight time and strength (durability) --- do not look like major. Good.

Based on your input, I guess the best way in my case (and what I am going to do) is: start with the low budget Spark to learn the basics, then, as a next stage, move on to the target drone (by the way, probably a Phantom in my case) to master it, including ATTI.

I have already purchased Spark Fly More Combo plus 2 extra batteries (making a total of 4).

Thank you!
2018-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules