Litchi App vs GO
1590 12 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mith.saul
lvl.1
United States

Hello all - Everyone here seems to be quite knowledgable regarding the P3S, so I wanted to ask - has anyone had any experience using the Litchi app, vs the GO app? I have seen several sites really purporting the benefits of using the Litchi app - but wanted to hear any thoughts from DJI forum users. I have not had any issues using the GO app, other than "losing connection" - and the Litchi app touts that you can pre-program your flight path and the drone will complete its programmed flight path even in the event of lost connection. Also, if anyone does use Litchi, is it required that you have a desktop/laptop computer to configure and download a pre-programmed flight path into your P3S, or can you use an iPad (which is all I currently have)?
Many thanks - mith
2018-8-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

For a long time I was a devotee of Litchi. But recently I have experienced some strange drop-outs with it and have returned to GO.

I'm on a P3P ....

Is Litchi available for IOS iPad ? When I used it - it was only for Android......

Nigel
2018-8-30
Use props
mith.saul
lvl.1

solentlife Posted at 2018-8-30 07:40
For a long time I was a devotee of Litchi. But recently I have experienced some strange drop-outs with it and have returned to GO.

I'm on a P3P ....

Hello Nigel - you may be correct (that Litchi is only compatible with Android). I thought I had read somewhere that you could use your computer to download a pre-programmed flight path, and I was assuming it would possibly work with an iPad as well.
Thank you for replying.
2018-8-30
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Litchi works with IOS products, but I use it with android. I have used it for over 3-years now. Litchi's primary draw I believe is that ability to create waypoint missions on your computer or I-pad, and then download to your phantom. I really like Litchi and use it probably 90% of the time, but you still need the GO app to set some of the settings on your phantom. But again, the missions is the biggest plus here. Litchi does have orbit, panorama, and functions very similar to the GO app. I think it does maintain a better signal too. I am not 100% sure if you can use your I-pad to create missions though. I have an android tablet and although you can create missions on it, it won't let me do it on the Litchi-hub, which is where you do it on your computer and then download it to your phantom. You could try to access the Litchi hub on your I-pad to see if it works before you buy the software. The hub is free, only have to create an account, which is free too. Good luck.
2018-8-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Litchi cannot make any difference to signal ... that is down to the controller - not the app.

I now see that there is a Litchi for IOS ...

Nigel
2018-8-30
Use props
mith.saul
lvl.1

solentlife Posted at 2018-8-30 10:22
Litchi cannot make any difference to signal ... that is down to the controller - not the app.

Awesome!! Thank you both (Nigel and Ricardo)!! This is great info. I will look into the Litchi hub on my iOS tablet and see what happens from there. I will post how it turns out here.
Again, thank you both so much!!
Mith
2018-8-30
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1482434 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lots of Litchi users on forum but I've been running Litchi on iPad for a while. Can use Google Earth to plan, import into litchi Mission Hub & then to Litchi. Or just use last two steps. And can plan flight directly on iPad. Nothing quite like the first time the P4 goes off and does it's own thing; hoping comes back.
Remember to shut DJI Go down if using Litchi & vice versa.
2018-8-31
Use props
mith.saul
lvl.1

sky wombat Posted at 2018-8-31 04:05
Lots of Litchi users on forum but I've been running Litchi on iPad for a while. Can use Google Earth to plan, import into litchi Mission Hub & then to Litchi. Or just use last two steps. And can plan flight directly on iPad. Nothing quite like the first time the P4 goes off and does it's own thing; hoping comes back.
Remember to shut DJI Go down if using Litchi & vice versa.

LOL Sky!! I agree - I'm sure that the 1st time I send my drone off on a pre-programmed flight pattern I will be praying that it returns home!!
I will try the method & steps that you suggested above, to get a flight program into my drone using Litchi - and see how it goes. I will keep you posted. And yes, I will be sure to remember that I must shut down 1 app, in order to run the other app.
Many thanks for your input and suggestions.
Mith
2018-8-31
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

As another mentions ...

1. You need GO to set some user options and also for some calibrations that LITCHI does not have.
2. GO is required for registration of your AC, LITCHI mentions this in setup.
3. You must not have GO running when you use LITCHI .. that is a specific detail stated by LITCHI, Its good advice anyway so you have maximum processing power / memory available.

One point you must be aware of ... when you send out the AC on an Autonmous mission - there is NO RTH function !! I repeat ... there is no RTH failsafe as the AC is basically working to instructions and not to Controllers commands .......... LITCHI manual explains this ...

Nigel
2018-8-31
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Actually, not to disagree with Nigel, but if you have the "Smart-Return to Home" feature turned ON in your GO app, your mission could be aborted and return home.
This is how it works:
Normally when you fly a Litchi waypoint mission, it loads it onto the aircraft and then takes off on the mission. As Nigel mentions, it is no longer responding to your controls. And in the previous versions it would always complete your mission if it could, regardless if it lost signal. That is why you have to make sure you have enough battery to make the entire trip. But with the last couple of newer Litchi versions, it uses the DJI firmware and some settings such as the Smart RTH, and if it thinks your phantom cannot make it back, it will abort the mission and RTH. I had this happen several times and it took me some time to figure it out. It all of the sudden would RTH on missions I have previously flown many times. It just sensed it was a long way from home and kicked in the RTH as a safety.
With help from Litchi, the fix was to turn off the Smart RTH feature in the GO app, and now the missions will work with no safeguards in place. It will go where you send it if it can or runs out of power and lands.
So, you have no smart features now working for you and you are on your own!
Of course you need to be doing some pretty long missions for the RTH feature to kick in, but it will happen it you don't turn off that feature in the GO app. Now maybe you will want to just play with it and leave everything the way it is to begin with.
Hope this helps understanding how the waypoint missions work.
Just another word of caution. Make sure you know the area you are flying in and pay attention to altitudes. The hub is very useful in telling you what the elevation is, etc., but what can get you into trouble is towers, or highline wires you may not be able to see. Have fun!
2018-8-31
Use props
Etienne_W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58245 ft
Belgium

solentlife Posted at 2018-8-30 10:22

Litchi doesn't panic like Go when there is a signal drop, no wall to wall red error message.
2018-8-31
Use props
mith.saul
lvl.1
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-8-31 05:07
As another mentions ...

1. You need GO to set some user options and also for some calibrations that LITCHI does not have.

Oohhhhh - that is good information! I had not thought of the absence of the RTH function - but I presume the autonomous pre-programmed flight path should bring the drone back home. Either way, I'm sure  my stomach will be in knots until I see my drone coming back home. LOL
2018-8-31
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

mith.saul@gmail Posted at 2018-8-31 14:49
Oohhhhh - that is good information! I had not thought of the absence of the RTH function - but I presume the autonomous pre-programmed flight path should bring the drone back home. Either way, I'm sure  my stomach will be in knots until I see my drone coming back home. LOL

Yes it will basically come back to your last waypoint. So, yo want that to be somewhat close to your takeoff point. You do also have the option in you mission as what you want it to do after the mission is complete:
Land
Return to homepoint
Hover
Check out how to use Litchi in the free Phantom-school tutorial. It will help you a lot.
2018-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules