compass error
2127 14 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ingashaba
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325108 ft
Netherlands

I need some expertise from official forum members to assess on what happend that particular day,...

Here is the link to the flight record :
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YR1FUKA1T2V5T9USEZIJ/

I had many flights with my dji drones and mavic pro and I never ever experienced that problem before !My new mavic pro didn't even had a scratch because I was always handling it with alot of care and attention and now it is broken.

2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looking at your log, it looks like you may have taken off from a roof top or very close to buildings or concrete surface, this environment is prone to magnetic interference, I will try explain what happens in such situations below.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass.

While I can’t be certain you picked up interference from the ground or surrounding area it is the most common cause.
I have seen many cases where people start their aircraft in or on their car in their house and then bring it outside so damage is already done and we will see exact same warnings and and reaction from aircraft.

We all should check our compass when we start our aircraft and maybe more of this could be avoided, you can do this by checking the compass values in your app also check small red triangle in the lower left corner of your telemetry, it should be on the same heading as your aircraft.

One last thing I will say is we must always try to land aircraft immediately when this occurs.
2018-9-2
Use props
Ingashaba
lvl.3
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 10:30
Looking at your log, it looks like you may have taken off from a roof top or very close to buildings or concrete surface, this environment is prone to magnetic interference, I will try explain what happens in such situations below.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.

Actually I did not take off from a roof top and I did not take off very close to buildings, I took of from the blue marked mobile location on the map ! The red line showing the path of the flight is miss aligned and should be centered and aligned correctly with the blue marked mobile location on the map. I made some flights in the past some years ago with my DJI phantom in the exact same location and nothing bad happend. I still have some pictures of that flight with my DJI phantom.

2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ingashaba Posted at 2018-9-2 13:28
Actually I did not take off from a roof top and I did not take off very close to buildings, I took of from the blue marked mobile location on the map ! The red line showing the path of the flight is miss aligned and should be centered and aligned correctly with the blue marked mobile location on the map. I made some flights in the past some years ago with my DJI phantom in the exact same location and nothing bad happend.

You took off from what I can only describe as concrete city , the area you took off from would not be described as a suitable area to launch a drone from, if you are getting compass problems from launching in this area and you choose to ignore it then you are likely to run into more problems.
Flying environment is clearly explained in your manual if you choose to ignore then it will be at your own risk.
Compass problems are not aircraft malfunction, they can be avoided.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Actually I did not take off from a roof top and I did not take off very close to buildings, I took of from the blue marked mobile location on the map ! The red line showing the path of the flight is miss aligned and should be centered and aligned correctly with the blue marked mobile location on the map. I made some flights in the past some years ago with my DJI phantom in the exact same location and nothing bad happend. I still have some pictures of that flight with my DJI phantom.[view_image]
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c755ce_02fc7aea24944c8ab1e43b2ca6bfcd55.jpg/v1/fill/w_1068,h_801,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/c755ce_02fc7aea24944c8ab1e43b2ca6bfcd55.webp[/img]
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c755ce_1fe4560d05804033a833e81714190072.jpg/v1/fill/w_1068,h_801,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/c755ce_1fe4560d05804033a833e81714190072.webp[/img]

Red marker is directly above the coordinates you launched from
2018-9-2
Use props
Ingashaba
lvl.3
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 13:38
You took off from what I can only describe as concrete city , the area you took off from would not be described as a suitable area to launch a drone from, if you are getting compass problems from launching in this area and you choose to ignore it then you are likely to run into more problems.
Flying environment is clearly explained in your manual if you choose to ignore then it will be at your own risk.
Compass problems are not aircraft malfunction, they can be avoided.

Before I took off I always check the list in the app to see if there is no error and everthing looked normal. Only after some seconds(0m 15.9s) after takeoff  the compass error occured. Where are the other forum members ? Isn't the official dji forum for everybody instead of 1 person ?
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ingashaba Posted at 2018-9-2 13:46
Before I took off I always check the list in the app to see if there is no error and everthing looked normal. Only after some seconds after takeoff  the compass error occured.

If you read what I wrote you will understand why it happened after you took off, your app will not always detect magnetic interference, that’s why envoirment is so crucial to flying drones.
2018-9-2
Use props
Ingashaba
lvl.3
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 13:42
Red marker is directly above the coordinates you launched from[view_image]

I took of from the blue marked mobile location on the map not the red one ! The red line showing the path of the flight is miss aligned and should be centered and aligned correctly with the blue marked mobile location on the map.   I also noticed on the map a drone startup company called Avular. And by the way I just wanted to take a selfie with my mavic pro since I already have detailed footage of that area !
2018-9-2
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Before I took off I always check the list in the app to see if there is no error and everthing looked normal. Only after some seconds(0m 15.9s) after takeoff  the compass error occured. Where are the other forum members ? Isn't the official dji forum for everybody instead of 1 person ?

Speak properly and show some gratitude at least. You asked for expert assistance and there are not many that can give you that better than hallmark007. What he has explained to you is essential. DJI will ask you to file a case and send in the drone if they are to judge the matter more officially.
I feel sorry for your loss though.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ingashaba Posted at 2018-9-2 13:59
I took of from the blue marked mobile location on the map not the red one ! The red line showing the path of the flight is miss aligned and should be centered and aligned correctly with the blue marked mobile location on the map.   I also noticed on the map a drone startup company called Avular. And by the way I just wanted to take a selfie with my mavic pro since I already have detailed footage of that area !

You picked up magnetic interference from the envoirment you were flying in , if you think this was a aircraft malfunction then you are deluding yourself, I’m just trying to explain how this occurs and how to try avoid it, if you feel the information I’m giving is wrong that’s fine.
2018-9-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Before I took off I always check the list in the app to see if there is no error and everthing looked normal. Only after some seconds(0m 15.9s) after takeoff  the compass error occured. Where are the other forum members ? Isn't the official dji forum for everybody instead of 1 person ?

Ok, here is another forum member. Seeing the flightrecord and the pictures you have posted here I could only repeat what hallmark007 has responded to you. I just couldn't explain it as good and competent as he can.
2018-9-2
Use props
Ingashaba
lvl.3
Netherlands

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-2 14:06
Speak properly and show some gratitude at least. You asked for expert assistance and there are not many that can give you that better than hallmark007. What he has explained to you is essential. DJI will ask you to file a case and send in the drone if they are to judge the matter more officially.
I feel sorry for your loss though.

Thanks for the info.  Since you say you are experts could you be so kind
to tel me why my internet is redirected to other organisations and so on ?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-164564-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-164560-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-164559-1-1.html
2018-9-2
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

@Ingashaba, according to the data in your flight log, the compass was off by about 180 degrees. You can see that at the beginning of your flight when you move the right stick toward the left and your Mavic moved to the right. That's a sign that some type of nearby interference was affecting the compass.

To prevent something like this from happening again in the future, make sure you do these checks each time before taking off.
2018-9-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Using Blue dot, it looks like you took off from base of set of steps (tall steps) about six feet to right of and two feet back from metal box (used as half steps)?
2018-9-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Actually I did not take off from a roof top and I did not take off very close to buildings, I took of from the blue marked mobile location on the map ! The red line showing the path of the flight is miss aligned and should be centered and aligned correctly with the blue marked mobile location on the map. I made some flights in the past some years ago with my DJI phantom in the exact same location and nothing bad happend. I still have some pictures of that flight with my DJI phantom.[view_image]
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c755ce_02fc7aea24944c8ab1e43b2ca6bfcd55.jpg/v1/fill/w_1068,h_801,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/c755ce_02fc7aea24944c8ab1e43b2ca6bfcd55.webp[/img]
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c755ce_1fe4560d05804033a833e81714190072.jpg/v1/fill/w_1068,h_801,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/c755ce_1fe4560d05804033a833e81714190072.webp[/img]

If you live nearby or frequent the area where compass problem occurred.
You can check for magnetic field interference in particular takeoff spot two different ways.

1) Take a working DJI drone to area, and looking at compass heading as it is slowly rotated while sitting on ground.  Along with looking at Compass Sensors, under drone's advanced menu - sub-menu of IMU/Compass Sensors.  If displayed Bar(s) are Yellow or Red, there is interference.  If displayed Bar(s) are Green and nearly go all way across, there is possibility of intereference.

2) Use one of magnetic field detecting Apps for iOS or Android OS SmartPhones.  The Apps can show deviation (plus or minus) from Earth's normal magnetic field.

Interference to Earth's magnetic field can occur primarily in two ways.  

1) A source that produces a magnetic field (lmagnetic / steel plate) or energized field (motor / power line).
2) A source that interferes with Earthy's magnetic field.  Example would be large metal building.

2018-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules