Shutter speed - another view
570 8 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3

We all are taught video shutter speed needs to be twice the frame rate, and no faster; otherwise we get 'bad' video.  At this shutter speed there is some motion blur every frame as the camera moves or pans or tilts across the scene, and this blur smooths out any judder as the individual frames advance through scene.  With higher shutter speeds we can see the judder on our computer monitors.

But there is another way.  If you view your video on a modern 4K TV set you won't see any judder.  This is because these TVs have built in motion smoothing.  And it works really well.  The TV actually creates new fill in frames and inserts them between every frame.  So if you shoot at 24 fps, the actual displayed fps is much higher, and any motion is very smooth.  It actually looks even better if you run the shutter speed higher, to eliminate the motion blur.

If your target display is a 4K TV, I'd say forget about low shutter speeds, and control exposure with shutter speed and don't use filters.

Motion smoothing has different names from different TV maufacturers, and most newer TVs have this feature.  Samsung has Auto Motion Plus; Sony has Motionflow; LG has TruMotion.  My experience is with Samsung, which works really well.

Classic movie viewers tend not to like this feature, and turn it off, because they consider motion blur as part of the movie experience.  But for those of us that shoot action, we expect to see the action motion, not blur.  There is a push for 120 fps video because of this.  But if you have a 4K TV with motion smoothing, try shooting at a higher shutter speed with some turns and tilts and see if you like it.  You won't need 120 fps.  
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Possibly true but i'd argue in general, 4K tvs are rare.
If you have a specific audience with a specific thing like a 4k tv then yes, its fine.
Ive never actually SEEN a 4k TV.  Not once.  I don't own one, i dont know anyone that does own one.  A lot of videos are also watched on computers and mobile devices these days too.

People get WAY too carried away with the shutter speed thing anyway.  Yes if you have big movements between frames (so low, fast, close to something) you may well need one.  But for most peoples videos which involve gentle panning, higher altitude flying and so on theres no need at all.
2018-9-2
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

I had some pretty bad judder on vid I took using tripoid mode yesterday I have only watched it on my 1440p monitor. I'll check it out on the LG B7A and see what it looks like. I chalked it up to super bright sun. I just could not dial it in. I have ND filters ordered too.
2018-9-2
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 09:44
Possibly true but i'd argue in general, 4K tvs are rare.
If you have a specific audience with a specific thing like a 4k tv then yes, its fine.
Ive never actually SEEN a 4k TV.  Not once.  I don't own one, i dont know anyone that does own one.  A lot of videos are also watched on computers and mobile devices these days too.

Thanks for the comments, I understand your points.

The purpose of this post was to point out that display technology itself has been changing, and if we are producing video for older display technology we can miss out on the benefits of these changes.

My understanding of how this evolved, the TV companies wanted to switch to the more cost effective LED backlit LCD display technology at about the same time 4K was emerging, so they combined these two developments.  A result of this was judder was actually enhanced, it looked worse, so motion smoothing technology was developed to solve this.  So these three technologies were all introduced at the same time.  This combination now dominates the TV market, and all larger TVs are made this way.  You can't really buy a TV with older technology anymore.  TV prices have gone way down so it is pretty easy to upgrade.

I don't know about other parts of the world, but in the U.S. about 25% of households have 4K TV, and I've seen estimates it will be 50% by the end of 2019.  These may not be the same households that document their world with DJI drone videos; but many of them are, and I hope they learn about motion smoothing.

Of course HDR TV is now the big thing.  There is no end.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Its substantially lower for europe (best figure i can see is 10% households). Asia excluding Japan is substantially lower again.
I cant see it becoming the majority for many many years.  Things work differently to the US - people generally don't upgrade until the existing one breaks.
Maybe in 10 years time 4k will be common...But then there'll be 8k HDR.

A large chunk of my job involve photo and video sales for stock and other things.  Currently 4k content makes up roughly 3% of my total video income which gives me a hint at the current market penetration!.

2018-9-3
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

Just about everyone I know has a 4k tv in their house these days.

There is very few 1080p Tv's being manufactured since 4k has became so cheap.

4k content is another story though, with many people still only viewing 720 or 1080 on their 4k sets.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Again its regional.  Step outside the US and 4k TVs are rarer than rocking horse sh*t.
Im currently in the UK and have still yet to see a single 4k tv in my life.  I dont know a single person that has one.

People are buying smart TVs that don't always do 4k.  And people tend to buy a new TV now when their existing one breaks which could be years.

Until my 4k sales ratio rises it good double figures im doubting theres a lot of call for the content at all.
2018-9-3
Use props
Chpouky
lvl.3

Motion smoothing is the cancer of TV's ^^
2018-9-3
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 07:51
Again its regional.  Step outside the US and 4k TVs are rarer than rocking horse sh*t.
Im currently in the UK and have still yet to see a single 4k tv in my life.  I dont know a single person that has one.

Im in UK as well mate.

Surprised youve not seen one yet.

You maybe have but just not realised it. Its not really the junp in quality people make it out to be.

HDR on the other hand....
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules