Clipped A Tree - 15-20ft up - Problem.
2090 15 2015-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shops
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I did a crazy, stupid thing yesterday. I took off with my P3A & noticed that my Pilot app only showed about 8 Sats. While looking at the Controller I momentarily took my eye off the drone which clipped the branches of a tree some 15ft up . My P3A tumbled to the grassy lawn. I wiped off the grass stains & noticed a couple of niks in one of the Rotor Arms. The props seemed fine but one of them was just touching the arm as it rotated. I guess the arm is slightly bent. I put a little pressure on it to try & stop it touching which successfully worked but the prop rotation is still too near the arm which to me would put the drone out of balance. I did a test flight & all seemed well. It did however seem a bit twitchy which could well have been the slight breeze. However, I am concerned about the prop clearing the arm less than the other three. Any suggestions?
2015-5-29
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you ost a photo? Finding it hard to picture the issue you have. Find it hard to think the arm is bent enough for a prop to touch it.. Would think its more a prop issue. Try putting the spare set os propellers on.. Also post a picture if you can.

Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying.

2015-5-29
Use props
shops
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Tried putting on new prop. Same problem. It's weird as the arm is not obviously bent!
Pics attached:-

2015-5-29
Use props
bradleydraifing
lvl.2

United States

Have you been flying with those stickers on the motors? You're supposed to take those off..
2015-5-29
Use props
kevintate9
New

United Kingdom

Looks like it took the full force on the end of the arm in the last photo.
Your shell is clearly bent as shown by the bulge in the last photo, the shell also seem distorted in other places.
A small variation in the level here will exaggerate along the length of the prop.
Try loosening the fixing screws under the arm and flexing the plastic back into shape to level the motor.
2015-5-29
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah, photos speak louder than words It might fly like that but will probably never perform the way it should. I would look at sending it back to DJI to get it fixed or wait out until shells are available and DIY the repair. Also remember to remove the yellow stickers on the motors ( unless you just placed thrm back for the photos ).

Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying

2015-5-29
Use props
shops
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks.

I bought mine from Buzzflyer in the UK. Should I deal with them as I understand DJI are a nightmare to deal with!
2015-5-29
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I'd talk to Buzzflyer but I would think a bit of Epoxy Resin would fix that... :-)
2015-5-29
Use props
shops
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jon.jongodfrey Posted at 2015-5-29 21:01
I'd talk to Buzzflyer but I would think a bit of Epoxy Resin would fix that... :-)

Buzzflyer unable to advise when DJI will be doing a spare shell. Trouble is arm is slightly warped causing the propeller tip to nearly touch arm. Can't see how epoxy would help?
2015-6-9
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

shops@themoon.c Posted at 2015-6-10 05:49
Buzzflyer unable to advise when DJI will be doing a spare shell. Trouble is arm is slightly warped ...

If you are willing to remove the motor and internals on that "wing", you can probably use an industrial duty heat gun to heat up the plastic to see if you can reform it.

Use a pair of leather gloves to keep from burning yourself. You can use the top half you presently have by turning the unit 180 degrees to see how it fits and stop when you get close.

Don't add any epoxy to your quad as whatever weight you add to one side need to be added to the other for balance.
2015-6-9
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I would try it without removing the motor and with a prop installed.  When it is warm/hot near where the deformations are (the folds you can clearly see), bend it easily the opposite way and try to get the folds to straighten - while looking at the tip of the prop and its distance from the arm.  When you achieve the correct distance, hold it like this without the heat gun and get someone to place a cool hand towel (slightly dampened with ice water) around the arm where it is damaged.  If after this, the prop tip is at a correct distance (and stays there), you could try a test flight.

BTW -  Don't feel too bad - I've been flying Phantoms a year now. I did the same thing, but my poor P3 is in drone heaven now.  Getting another soon.
2015-6-9
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Buzzflyer unable to advise when DJI will be doing a spare shell. Trouble is arm is slightly warped ...

sorry... sounds like a new shell.  Not cheap! :-(
2015-6-10
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

Think about the positives.   I would love to change the shell of the P3.   I nice sleek shell, black, more professional looking would be something I would look into.  

Others have had similar issues.  Apparently the case is not easy to open on the P3.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-15559-1-1.html

2015-6-10
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I saw that you can order a new shell for the Phantom 3 -  78 $ CDN .
2015-6-10
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

kenmasters Posted at 2015-6-10 23:22
Think about the positives.   I would love to change the shell of the P3.   I nice sleek shell, black ...

Here you go.  Nice black shell.  

http://www.roccitydesign.com/Hyd ... ced-Shell_p_38.html
2015-6-11
Use props
quinnow1
New

United States

I would try using a hair dryer to warm that area up very good, and at same time apply slight pressure to see if you can gain back the degree it was before being bent. The hot air from the dryer will for sure make that easier.
2015-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules