1964 27 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Did DJI support pay serious attention to their customer enquiry?  Please see below from my original message and DJI support reply.  And feel free to comment as I don't even think the support read my original message at all before jump to conclusion with below reply.

Below my original enquiry in blue
I just got my Mavic 2 Pro last week.  And the flights yesterday scared me have to write to support for an answer.  Please noted although my M2P has not been crashed nor damaged.  But it can end up in this direction if I have not switch off the controller immediately during flight.

Please see below dropbox links for the directory store my flight logs and all the way screen recording.  I am using iPhone X to connect with M2P RC and all app and firmware update to the latest.

This is a 16mins flight and I marked below for the timelines troubles happened.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g144vdkuatz7kwm/MP2%20flight%20data%20disordered%202%20Sept%202018.mov?dl=0

at 3min
1.) antenna. notice in fact this antenna notice happen in all my flight which I don’t usually get from Mavic Pro or Air.  This situation usually happen when I use the mod directional antenna when fly over 3km, but now this happened to M2P with distance less than 2km and consider the M2P controller is not directional so this is really strange.
2.) Tried to touch point of interest in Smart flight, but no response and DJI go 4 just suddenly quit itself.  My first time need to switch off the controller and make sure M2P trigger RTH.

at 9:28min
Flight distance of telemetry data start freeze up at 2203m.  The drone stay in the same position on the map but it is actually moving.

at 10:27min
DJI Go 4 hang and jump right back out with disconnected indication show with M2P.  My second time have to switch off the controller and make sure M2P is in RTH.

at 11:50min
Flight distance of telemetry data frozen again at 1269m and suddenly the distance shrink to 867m at 12:26min.

And DJI support reply in Red
Apologies for the inconvenience that you experience. Regarding what happened to your drone. It could be that you are losing signal because you are too near to the windmill, the tower has a strong magnetic interference that affects the performance of the drone. I would like to suggest flying your drone to a different place within the same distance. Try to fly it without magnetic interference so that the signal coming in and out from the drone won't interfere.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

You will receive an email survey two days after this email if not responded. If you happen to be away and won’t be able to answer this email timely, please disregard the survey and reply to us directly.

2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

The app unstable still? I really want to try litchie when it gets here. Read they have a version that works now, might want to give that a try. Never had any luck with those directional reflectors on. I actually lost distance.
2018-9-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-3 18:23
The app unstable still? I really want to try litchie when it gets here. Read they have a version that works now, might want to give that a try. Never had any luck with those directional reflectors on. I actually lost distance.

I use original M2P controller without any mod or signal reflector install.  But the warning message just keep pop up, which I have to point very precise toward the drone.

I suspect thats a over heat problem since that day is sunny and hot.  But this over heat not just my phone may be also the controller as well.  And I look for answer from DJI but they reply me with such BS instead.
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Ah you know on mavic, used to have phone overheat problems because it was always charging the phone from the rc :\ I ended up installing a android app called disable usb charging (needs root)
2018-9-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-3 18:33
Ah you know on mavic, used to have phone overheat problems because it was always charging the phone from the rc :\ I ended up installing a android app called disable usb charging (needs root)

I am using iPhone X and don’t feel the RC is charging the phone.  But I did turn on the screen recorder as my previous lesson for lost of my Mavic Air.  I already fly few times with M2P the only problem happen is on the sunny day last Sunday, I tried at cloudy and night time everything is fine except the .antenna warning issue is persist in almost every flight.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Magnetic field at levels involved (windmill) would not effect Radio transmissions between Mavic Pro 2 and Remote Controller.
Metal of Windmill tower could semi reflect or semi block Radio transmissions between Mavic Pro 2 and Remote Controller, but it would be in a very narrow path.

Overall, given distance your drone was away from windmill, the metal of windmill tower and any magnetic field of windmill tower was in no way the problem.

What I do believe was cause of radio transmissions between Mavic Pro 2 and Remote Controller was distance between them +2,480-meters (or 8,136-feet).  There also appears to be metal railing with taller foliage that could be semi interfering with Radio transmissions.
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Could be interference like a close by wifi ap. If you could switch locations and see, least rule that out and try litchie. That sounds annoying
2018-9-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 18:50
Magnetic field at levels involved (windmill) would not effect Radio transmissions between Mavic Pro 2 and Remote Controller.
Metal of Windmill tower could semi reflect or semi block Radio transmissions between Mavic Pro 2 and Remote Controller, but it would be in a very narrow path.

Thanks for your comment.  Please also check the footage at time 10mins after, the distance is a lot closer to home point but the problem in DJI GO 4 still happen.
2018-9-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-3 18:52
Could be interference like a close by wifi ap. If you could switch locations and see, least rule that out and try litchie. That sounds annoying

Actually this was my second flight of the day.  The first flight is in location 10miles away, although not the same problem but once I try to select point of interest it is still nothing and I have to quit the DJI go app in order to continue.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bigger picture - involving DJI support's response of "Try to fly it without magnetic interference so that the signal coming in and out from the drone won't interfere. "

Another case of DJI support lacking in technical knowledge, and
another case of DJI support failing to even look at and consider distance drone was away from Windmill tower.
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2018-9-3 18:57
Actually this was my second flight of the day.  The first flight is in location 10miles away, although not the same problem but once I try to select point of interest it is still nothing and I have to quit the DJI go app in order to continue.

Where are the apple users in this forum? I don't have a m2 yet (coming Thursday) but it really sounds like software. I watched the video, no reason for it to crash like that.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2018-9-3 18:53
Thanks for your comment.  Please also check the footage at time 10mins after, the distance is a lot closer to home point but the problem in DJI GO 4 still happen.

Even at 10-mins, your drone is still 2,188-meters away.  At that distance, with possibility of signal interference on ground in front of you, and all other radio transmissions in area (RFI), I am not surprised there was transmission problems between drone and remote.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I would suggest testing radio transmissions between Drone and R.C. in a remote area (no buildings, no power-lines, no radio towers, etc,); with a clear line of sight between you and drone.  
Taking note of when (distance & time) first signs of radio transmissions occur.  Then compare that distance to drone's specs.
2018-9-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-3 19:00
Where are the apple users in this forum? I don't have a m2 yet (coming Thursday) but it really sounds like software. I watched the video, no reason for it to crash like that.

The similar happen when I hook up the connection with Epson BT300 thats an android device.  After 2km far the control on BT300 and M2P controller become non-responsive.  There is obvious delay in the controller, I can’t even stop the video recording and change to camera mode.  And just for while the DJI GO 4 app crash and can’t even restart again.  I have to switch back to my iPhone X for control and luckily M2P triggered the RTH and on the way home.  How scary!
2018-9-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 19:04
Even at 10-mins, your drone is still 2,188-meters away.  At that distance, with possibility of signal interference on ground in front of you, and all other radio transmissions in area (RFI), I am not surprised there was transmission problems between drone and remote.

the only thing between is the sea for just 2km, M2P should do better than that.  But my main concern is the unresponsive control.  I can’t even stop the video recording and it suffer massive sign delay, I suspect the DJI Go 4 app is really hungry for power and overload and overheat the devices in hot weather.  This is just my guess.
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2018-9-3 20:42
The similar happen when I hook up the connection with Epson BT300 thats an android device.  After 2km far the control on BT300 and M2P controller become non-responsive.  There is obvious delay in the controller, I can’t even stop the video recording and change to camera mode.  And just for while the DJI GO 4 app crash and can’t even restart again.  I have to switch back to my iPhone X for control and luckily M2P triggered the RTH and on the way home.  How scary!

Sounds like it still needs work. Probably use the app for calibration and fly litchie
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2018-9-3 20:49
the only thing between is the sea for just 2km, M2P should do better than that.  But my main concern is the unresponsive control.  I can’t even stop the video recording and it suffer massive sign delay, I suspect the DJI Go 4 app is really hungry for power and overload and overheat the devices in hot weather.  This is just my guess.

From what you have said, you are using an iPhone X.

You may not know this but, unlike previous iPhones running iOS; Apple has made changes to iOS for iPhone X to where Apps continue to use memory and stay somewhat active.  Apple is trying to keep people from killing off Apps.  As a result, Apple has made it harder to kill off Apps on iPhone X.  Simply rebooting (or even power-cycling) iPhone X, will not kill off the apps - the running Apps at time of reboot (or power off/on) will be back.

As such, you probably have lots of Apps running on your iPhone X, using up both memory and CPU cycles.  You need to kill off all running Apps and then try a test flight in a remote area to see whether you still have trouble with GO-4 App.

I know from watching video, your iPhone X is not in Airplane mode, because video briefly shows a messge alert.  To do a proper test, your iPhone Cellular connection should be disabled.  WiFi should also be disabled, being you are using Remote Controller via USB cable.  And lastly, BlueTooth should be disabled.

2018-9-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 21:33
From what you have said, you are using an iPhone X.

You may not know this but, unlike previous iPhones running iOS; Apple has made changes to iOS for iPhone X to where Apps continue to use memory and stay somewhat active.  Apple is trying to keep people from killing off Apps.  As a result, Apple has made it harder to kill off Apps on iPhone X.  Simply rebooting (or even power-cycling) iPhone X, will not kill off the apps - the running Apps at time of reboot (or power off/on) will be back.

HedgeTrimmer

Thanks for your tips and I will try in airplane mode and kill all apps on next flight.  But I have not turn airplane mode for all my other DJI drones except bluetooth without such kind of problem.  I suspect that is  an overheat or overload problem of the DJI go 4 app itself.  
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2018-9-3 21:51
HedgeTrimmer

Thanks for your tips and I will try in airplane mode and kill all apps on next flight.  But I have not turn airplane mode for all my other DJI drones except bluetooth without such kind of problem.  I suspect that is  an overheat or overload problem of the DJI go 4 app itself.

I suspect that is  an overheat or overload problem of the DJI go 4 app itself.

Maybe.  If you still have problems with GO-4 after killing off all running Apps and putting iPhone-X in Airplane mode - Then try another test flight, while keeping your iPhone-X cool.   

(Following is all up to you - as to whether it is worth trying or a bad idea.)

Take with you to test area a cool gel pack that can be put up against iPhone-X's back.  Not a frozen gel pack (to cold), but one that is used for sore muscles or sports injuries.  Usually you crush the packs, and packs start a chemical reaction that cools down pack.

Then try flying exact same flight path.  If GO-4 still has problems, then problem with iPhone-X overheating as a cause for problems with GO-4 can be eliminated.

It is possible the DJI GO-4 App is overloading your iPhone-X, unlike with your previous drones.  Two possible reasons come to mind:

1) Mavic Pro 2's new cameras are capable of pushing full 100 Mbps transmission rate, putting more of burdern on iPhone-X's video codecs.

2) Mavic Pro 2 means new code in GO-4 App.  Code that has yet to be fully optimized.  Thus more of burden on iPhone-X's CPUs.

2018-9-3
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 22:31
I suspect that is  an overheat or overload problem of the DJI go 4 app itself.

Maybe.  If you still have problems with GO-4 after killing off all running Apps and putting iPhone-X in Airplane mode - Then try another test flight, while keeping your iPhone-X cool.   

Good to hear your ideas.  At least way better than DJI support suggestion.

I had tried to fly at night twice without all the issues in the day time.  
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi MAVICDLNM, we are so sorry for the unprofessional response from our support team and sorry for the unpleasant experience with the brand-new drone. Basically, there are four issues during this flight: 1. antenna warning. 2. APP crashed. 3. Image transmission froze. 4. Mobile phone disconnected with RC. Glad to know HedgeTrimmer has provided some useful and professional suggestions, you may have a try.

1. For the antenna warning, could you please double check if there is any damage in the RC? If not, any chance the RC signal was blocked when you fly to some angles and the flight speed is too high, the APP didn't respond in time or the transmission was affected by the radio interference?

2. Does the APP only crash when using POI? How about other intelligent modes? Could you please provide us the APP crash log for further analysis?
1). Connect the iOS device to PC with USB cable .
2). Open the Itunes.
3). Click your device name by right-hand button "synchronization"
4). You can click here to skip the back-up step .
GTScreenshot_20180904_162354.png
5). When you finish the "synchronization", check this address, find the crash log file.
C:\Users\[Your_User_Name]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\[Your_Device_Name]\

3. For the image transmission froze issue, it could be related to the mobile phone, the radio interference and so on, any chance to try other mobile phone? Does the footage you recorded have the same issue?

4. Disconnection between the mobile phone and RC is related to the cable, the mobile phone and the port in the RC, did you try another port in the RC or other cables? May I have your OS system version?

Thanks for your time for more details, thank you.
Your experience with our support team has been forwarded to our management department for attention, we will learn from this and keep improving our customer service.

2018-9-4
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-4 00:35
Hi MAVICDLNM, we are so sorry for the unprofessional response from our support team and sorry for the unpleasant experience with the brand-new drone. Basically, there are four issues during this flight: 1. antenna warning. 2. APP crashed. 3. Image transmission froze. 4. Mobile phone disconnected with RC. Glad to know HedgeTrimmer has provided some useful and professional suggestions, you may have a try.

1. For the antenna warning, could you please double check if there is any damage in the RC? If not, any chance the RC signal was blocked when you fly to some angles and the flight speed is too high, the APP didn't respond in time or the transmission was affected by the radio interference?

Hi Mindy

Finally got some professional response from DJI.  Luckily I still have my M2P in one piece.  I have double check there is no damage in the RC and confirm the RC signal is not blocked during the flights.  Please note that such .antenna warning I received almost every single flight with M2P.

I am surely go to take HedgeTrimmer advise to turn the phone to airplane mode next time.  But I rarely do that especially for Phantom and Mavic Pro, but I will switch off Bluetooth for Spark and Air.

The APP is not only crash with POI because I tried today.  The POI work fine in close by area.  But once it was far away like 2km above then not just POI, even the shutter button in RC has serious delay.  That’s happen from my flight today.

I would like to provide you the app crash report but I am using Mac.  Can you pass me the path of Mac for the crash log file?  Thanks.
2018-9-4
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-4 00:35

Hi Mindy

Miss out point 4.  I am using the original cable come with RC to connect to my iPhone X.  Just one thing I found out about the new M2P RC, the phone mount is different and tighter which might even pull of the connection between the iPhone to it.  My iPhone X is the latest IOS 11.4.1.

I have also try to connect with Epson BT300 which is an android device.  It work fine within 2km then start serious delay and the app eventually jump out and can’t connect back to the RC.  Luckily this is M2P which the battery still has plenty of time left, so I switch to iPhone X and get it connect.  M2P already on the way back home.
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2018-9-4 01:37
Hi Mindy

Miss out point 4.  I am using the original cable come with RC to connect to my iPhone X.  Just one thing I found out about the new M2P RC, the phone mount is different and tighter which might even pull of the connection between the iPhone to it.  My iPhone X is the latest IOS 11.4.1.

You can try your own USB cables via the big USB port of the RC with your iPhone to see if the 'disconnected' issue persists.
If you are using Mac, please try to download a software named iTools, then find in it Toolbox--Advanced--Crash logs.
Besides, we also need the flight records and the flight logs for further analysis, please sync the flight records to the server via DJI Go 4 and provide us your DJI account and the flight time, export the flight logs via DJI Assistant 2 and then upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here, we appreciate your assistance very much.
2018-9-4
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-4 04:46
You can try your own USB cables via the big USB port of the RC with your iPhone to see if the 'disconnected' issue persists.
If you are using Mac, please try to download a software named iTools, then find in it Toolbox--Advanced--Crash logs.
Besides, we also need the flight records and the flight logs for further analysis, please sync the flight records to the server via DJI Go 4 and provide us your DJI account and the flight time, export the flight logs via DJI Assistant 2 and then upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here, we appreciate your assistance very much.

I downloaded iTools but can’t found what you mean by crash logs.  Can you be more detail on how to reach it?

Also I update below link with flight records and logs as well.  Please kindly comment.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lrom8 ... OTGKz-qNrDLyfa?dl=0
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2018-9-4 18:03
I downloaded iTools but can’t found what you mean by crash logs.  Can you be more detail on how to reach it?

Also I update below link with flight records and logs as well.  Please kindly comment.

Received with thanks! For the crash log, you may refer to the below screenshot and try later.
crash log.png
2018-9-5
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-5 03:04
Received with thanks! For the crash log, you may refer to the below screenshot and try later.

Hi Susan

Thanks and already put my iPhone X crash log in Zip format to the same share directory mentioned above.  Please kindly check and advise.
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2018-9-5 19:35
Hi Susan

Thanks and already put my iPhone X crash log in Zip format to the same share directory mentioned above.  Please kindly check and advise.

Hi MAVICDLNM, we appreciate your time to export the data, which has been forwarded to the engineers for further analysis, we will come back to you once there is any update.
2018-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules