12Next >
3937 46 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>

With the current and indeed more pending changes to the Drone Laws in the UK. I think people should think before you sync you flight data with DJI. almost all of us will be infringing one or more of the new rules/laws on many of our flights.

Up to you but think on I say
2018-9-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

If you are new to this hobby, it is very nice to see the flight times, the max altitude and speed etc that you flew. But i think you are correct. Hope someone somewhere will make a little app where we can have all our flight detail, but only for personal use.....
2018-9-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-3 22:27
If you are new to this hobby, it is very nice to see the flight times, the max altitude and speed etc that you flew. But i think you are correct. Hope someone somewhere will make a little app where we can have all our flight detail, but only for personal use.....

It is all saved  locally. It is on your phone or ipad under 'me on the go 4 app
2018-9-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-3 22:40
It is all saved  locally. It is on your phone or ipad under 'me on the go 4 app

True, but i need to sync my flights, to get the detail updated, and that is just what you suggested we not do? Am i missing something, another way to do it?
2018-9-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-3 22:44
True, but i need to sync my flights, to get the detail updated, and that is just what you suggested we not do? Am i missing something, another way to do it?

It is all on the Ipad or screen device. You don't need the data updated at DJI why would you.

Look under 'me' at the front screen of the dji 4 app.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

From across pond, I tend to agree with you from aspect of our own Laws and aspect of our own LEOs using minor infractions to justify digging deeper to create trouble for decent law-abiding people.
2018-9-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-3 22:58
It is all on the Ipad or screen device. You don't need the data updated at DJI why would you.

Look under 'me' at the front screen of the dji 4 app.

Will do so.
But, can you explain how the detail get there, if the data don,t get synced. Meaning, for instance, i flew faster today, than yesterday, how do that speed gets updated, under about me, without synchronizing the data?
2018-9-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-3 23:34
Will do so.
But, can you explain how the detail get there, if the data don,t get synced. Meaning, for instance, i flew faster today, than yesterday, how do that speed gets updated, under about me, without synchronizing the data?

I think you are getting confused. The data in the app in the me area is only on your ipad, tablet or phone.

It is only when you sync this that it uploads to the DJI server and gives the data on this forum. It is this that I am suggesting you don't do as it could return to bite you later

Various Laws are getting tighter and tighter in regards to drones
2018-9-4
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I remember asking the question before,
Whether DJI passes on our flight data to the aviation administration.
And the people here on the forum all replied, that no, DJI does not pass our flight data.
I think it’s true, unless the aviation administration expressly asks for x persons flight logs.
And they are not going to ask for it unless you do something really stupid and get cought by police doing it.
So I think that we are safe as long as we fly ok without trouble.

Fly safe ppl.
Alex.
2018-9-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

Alex B. Posted at 2018-9-4 07:27
I remember asking the question before,
Whether DJI passes on our flight data to the aviation administration.
And the people here on the forum all replied, that no, DJI does not pass our flight data.

You need to be aware of what is being planned particularly in the UK and authorities are working to be able to compel people like DJI to give up the data.

What advantages do you think there are syncing your data
2018-9-4
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

What is the governments end game in the UK, makes no sense to pull all flight logs.  Most likely they are just trying to get ammo to ban drones.  I remember when the went out and banned guns. Im guessing that startes out at requiring registration.  
2018-9-4
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

I don't really think the government is out to get us. At least in the US, they'd have to have a warrant to get your data. There are lots of things in the world to be worried about without worrying about if the government is watching your flying habits. Just my opinion.
2018-9-4
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-4 07:42
You need to be aware of what is being planned particularly in the UK and authorities are working to be able to compel people like DJI to give up the data.

What advantages do you think there are syncing your data

How are they going to make them give our data???
What law???
If think it’s not that easy to do.

Advantages, I like to keep track of my flight data, as it says.
Nice feature.
For example apart from my spark, I also have a Yuneec typhoon q, and that one doesn’t have a feature like this.
For you it would be perfect, as you do not upload any data anywhere.
I’ll stick to my opinion I think

Fly safe everyone.
Alex.
2018-9-4
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>

I think, in the US anyway, the authorities would need to prove it was you operating the craft at the time of the infraction. This would be difficult unless the Go4 app secretly takes a photo of the operator at take off or something.

Maybe I'll start wearing a mask, latex gloves, and a foil hat when I fly my drones.
2018-9-4
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

I think here in Spain I’m also safe.
The government last year or this year I don’t remember, Passed easier laws regarding drones.
I don’t think the Spanish government is after drone users
The other my native country of Russia, There if you don’t register ( which is not finalized and terribly confusing and slow process, nobody registers) you get a fine of 5000 rubles  (63 euros) which I think you can pay on the spot. But if you don’t fly in front of the police, it’s very uncommon that they fine anyone. And basically no limits imposed! Of course you need to fly responsibly, which I always do.
There is a plus there, I like to go to the middle of the field and go hiiigh, like the max 500 mts DJI and 1000 mts yuneec, as in Russia there no altitude limit, only 63 euros fine
So tu sum it up, I don’t think that the Russian government is after drone users either with their no altitude limit and 63 euros fine, lol.

Fly safe people.
Alex.
2018-9-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-4 07:14
I think you are getting confused. The data in the app in the me area is only on your ipad, tablet or phone.

It is only when you sync this that it uploads to the DJI server and gives the data on this forum. It is this that I am suggesting you don't do as it could return to bite you later

I am lost.
The data automatically get added to the app, without DJI being the wiser, correct?
What happens if you sync your flight record? Is that a different process.
So, DJI can not see anything, when syncing  flight records, that is only available for personal use?
Is there another way to sync data to DJI?
I thought if you syncronize the Flight record data, that would then also be available for DJI, and, if I don,t syncronize the Flight record data, it will not update my flight speed, kms, etc?
2018-9-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-9-4 07:47
What is the governments end game in the UK, makes no sense to pull all flight logs.  Most likely they are just trying to get ammo to ban drones.  I remember when the went out and banned guns. Im guessing that startes out at requiring registration.

Absolutely no reason as a civilian to own a gun other than a shot gun or air rifle. This is the wide spread belief in the UK. The US is in a total mess in this regard.

The UK is not trying to Ban Drones. Just have things in place to gather data should they so wish
2018-9-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

Alex B. Posted at 2018-9-4 08:39
How are they going to make them give our data???
What law???
If think it’s not that easy to do.

The UK is consulting on this at the moment as well as having to file a flight plan on an App, as well as other things You can be assured that if the UK does these things they will end up the same in the US at some point
2018-9-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-4 09:49
I am lost.
The data automatically get added to the app, without DJI being the wiser, correct?
What happens if you sync your flight record? Is that a different process.

1) When you fly the flight data is stored in the app and in the drone
2) It will stay in these places only. unless
3) you sync your App data with the DJI server in which case DJI will have it also.
4) If anyone got access to this data/record and you had flown illegally (say in a restricted space or too high etc) This data is recorded against your registration details

In Short wise up and smell the coffee
2018-9-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-9-4 07:54
I don't really think the government is out to get us. At least in the US, they'd have to have a warrant to get your data. There are lots of things in the world to be worried about without worrying about if the government is watching your flying habits. Just my opinion.

The planned legislation is so that they would not need a warrant.

You flight record is an exact map etc of your flight linked back directly to you. If you have flown illegally and you sync your data you are passing evidence of your illegal activity if you did fly illegally to a third party that could be compelled to give the information to the authorities.

Look at the news and see what pressure is on the social media companies at the moment regarding content and data on their servers.
2018-9-4
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33606 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You guys are being very naive if you think that your synced flight data will not be available along with your registration details to the government in the UK. DJI know that there’s a ton of money selling drones to the military and other government departments, do you seriously think they wouldn’t just hand over your data when asked?
Faster than a hooker whipping off her kit.

Think of the money that could be raised by just sweeping the raw data and issuing fines. “ Mr Jones, we can see that you exceeded the 500m range limit on three occasions last month, that will be £60 fine per occasion. How will you be paying?”
2018-9-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2018-9-4 08:40
I think, in the US anyway, the authorities would need to prove it was you operating the craft at the time of the infraction. This would be difficult unless the Go4 app secretly takes a photo of the operator at take off or something.

Maybe I'll start wearing a mask, latex gloves, and a foil hat when I fly my drones.

No because you are would also be required to register the drone in your name and email address and take responsibility for it. They have thought this through you know
2018-9-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-6 22:18
No because you are would also be required to register the drone in your name and email address and take responsibility for it. They have thought this through you know

while i agree about not syncing flight logs for various reason one of which is privacy issues.. i recently stopped doing it..

also not really an issue in the US about it being proof you did anything because your name and email maybe on it.   have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you infarct were in control of the drone or atleast present during the flight.    at-least within a scope of reason i would say.   but this is similar issue to if my car was taken and used in a crime. or my credit card just because you signed for these things doesn't mean your at fault if someone else does something with it.  there are cases of it happening but, normally no..
2018-9-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-6 22:39
while i agree about not syncing flight logs for various reason one of which is privacy issues.. i recently stopped doing it..

I think you are being very naive
2018-9-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-6 22:46
I think you are being very naive

i dont think so, i think assuming you're endless going be found guilty for any and all actions because your name and email is on something you may or may not be in control of, is a bit naive.   
2018-9-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-6 22:52
i dont think so, i think assuming you're endless going be found guilty for any and all actions because your name and email is on something you may or may not be in control of, is a bit naive.

Are you the guy that posted a ransom note on the back of your utility bill
2018-9-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-6 22:59
Are you the guy that posted a ransom note on the back of your utility bill

no idea what you would be referencing.  
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing the concern to us. It is your choice if you opted to not sync your flight data. But you will be asked if you had an incident when let's say you lost your drone during a flight or crashed it, then DJI will be asking you for the data for us to examine and evaluate the flight. Thank you.
2018-9-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-9-8 04:17
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing the concern to us. It is your choice if you opted to not sync your flight data. But you will be asked if you had an incident when let's say you lost your drone during a flight or crashed it, then DJI will be asking you for the data for us to examine and evaluate the flight. Thank you.

I Have a 3 year guarantee with the shop I bought it from o better than the DJI Guarantee.

If I did crash you could have the data then not all the rest.

I am afraid I don't trust DJI
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-8 04:24
I Have a 3 year guarantee with the shop I bought it from o better than the DJI Guarantee.

If I did crash you could have the data then not all the rest.

Hi, if you do have the guarantee or insurance from the shop where you purchased the aircraft, then its fine for you not syncing your flight data with DJI. Thank you.
2018-9-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I fail to understand how syncing your flight records suddenly makes the pilot open to having their personal details being easily obtainable to the authorities. Firstly, there is no transponder on the drone - if your drone is seen in the air the authorities can not trace it back to you just by looking at it (they are yet to even catch the pilot who shut down Gatwick last year flying his/her drone around the airport) - they will need to either find you piloting the drone or recover the drone in the event they they brought it down or you crashed it.
They can still trace the drone back to you through the serial numbers of the drone (if they have the drone in hand) which are allocated to you when the drone is initially activated and assigned to your personal DJI account. DJI won't breach data protection by selling your personal information as the consequences would be huge for the organisation (as it is has been facebook). So whether you sync your flight records or not will make no difference to a legal outcome as the flight records do not prove you were flying the drone at that time and tracing you is impossible without the drone unless you are foolish enough to post illegal footage on social media. As long as you fly legally and responsibly then you should have no issues to worry about in the first place. I have always synced my flight records and will continue to do so. If you don't and reinstall the app or change devices then all of your records will be lost - I learn't that the hard way when thousands of metres of flights had been wiped out by my failing to insync on changing out my iPhones and iPads over the years.
2018-9-8
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

A CW Posted at 2018-9-8 04:35
I fail to understand how syncing your flight records suddenly makes the pilot open to having their personal details being easily obtainable to the authorities. Firstly, there is no transponder on the drone - if your drone is seen in the air the authorities can not trace it back to you just by looking at it (they are yet to even catch the pilot who shut down Gatwick last year flying his/her drone around the airport) - they will need to either find you piloting the drone or recover the drone in the event they they brought it down or you crashed it.
They can still trace the drone back to you through the serial numbers of the drone (if they have the drone in hand) which are allocated to you when the drone is initially activated and assigned to your personal DJI account. DJI won't breach data protection by selling your personal information as the consequences would be huge for the organisation (as it is has been facebook). So whether you sync your flight records or not will make no difference to a legal outcome as the flight records do not prove you were flying the drone at that time and tracing you is impossible without the drone unless you are foolish enough to post illegal footage on social media. As long as you fly legally and responsibly then you should have no issues to worry about in the first place. I have always synced my flight records and will continue to do so. If you don't and reinstall the app or change devices then all of your records will be lost - I learn't that the hard way when thousands of metres of flights had been wiped out by my failing to insync on changing out my iPhones and iPads over the years.

Agree 100%

Fly safe
Alex
2018-9-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I think it's easier for me to sync everything.
2018-9-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Alex   
2018-9-8
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-9-8 04:35
I fail to understand how syncing your flight records suddenly makes the pilot open to having their personal details being easily obtainable to the authorities. Firstly, there is no transponder on the drone - if your drone is seen in the air the authorities can not trace it back to you just by looking at it (they are yet to even catch the pilot who shut down Gatwick last year flying his/her drone around the airport) - they will need to either find you piloting the drone or recover the drone in the event they they brought it down or you crashed it.
They can still trace the drone back to you through the serial numbers of the drone (if they have the drone in hand) which are allocated to you when the drone is initially activated and assigned to your personal DJI account. DJI won't breach data protection by selling your personal information as the consequences would be huge for the organisation (as it is has been facebook). So whether you sync your flight records or not will make no difference to a legal outcome as the flight records do not prove you were flying the drone at that time and tracing you is impossible without the drone unless you are foolish enough to post illegal footage on social media. As long as you fly legally and responsibly then you should have no issues to worry about in the first place. I have always synced my flight records and will continue to do so. If you don't and reinstall the app or change devices then all of your records will be lost - I learn't that the hard way when thousands of metres of flights had been wiped out by my failing to insync on changing out my iPhones and iPads over the years.

Haha, you’re joking right!
No one actually needs your drone to prove that you exceeded your country’s laws during flight time. By syncing your records, you’ve handed over absolutely everything they need to where you’ve been, how fast you got there, how high you went etc etc. It’s childs play to then identify exactly who you are.

As for data protection, only fools really think that any branch of the government can’t get whatever data it wants from any company in the UK, especially one that is hungrily looking for government contracts!
Why do you think you NEVER hear of any UK company protesting about a government information request? Its because they just hand it over quietly.

If you’re stupid enough to get your drone embedded in the side of an A300, you deserve absolutely everything that is thrown at you but this information extraction from innocent folk is all about money and control. You shouldn’t just hand your information over so willingly.
2018-9-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Homeyjay Posted at 2018-9-12 22:00
Haha, you’re joking right!
No one actually needs your drone to prove that you exceeded your country’s laws during flight time. By syncing your records, you’ve handed over absolutely everything they need to where you’ve been, how fast you got there, how high you went etc etc. It’s childs play to then identify exactly who you are.

Do you actually believe your flight records are not recorded anyway and the second you activate your drone with DJI to initiate your warranty DJI have your information - and all the information they need. Syncing a flight record makes little difference. As I said, fly responsibly and in the boundaries of the law in the first place and you'll have nothing to 'hide' eh! And as for "No one actually needs your drone to prove that you exceeded your country’s laws during flight time" - they do, in order to identify YOU!
2018-9-13
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

They can’t prove just by looking at the records, that YOU were piloting the drone at that time!!!

Fly safely
Alex
2018-9-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

not really an issue here, I sync all flight info
2018-9-13
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-4 10:56
The planned legislation is so that they would not need a warrant.

You flight record is an exact map etc of your flight linked back directly to you. If you have flown illegally and you sync your data you are passing evidence of your illegal activity if you did fly illegally to a third party that could be compelled to give the information to the authorities.

Yeah, but we have this little document that stated: The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution provides that "[t]he right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation,
2018-9-13
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-9-13 00:53
Do you actually believe your flight records are not recorded anyway and the second you activate your drone with DJI to initiate your warranty DJI have your information - and all the information they need. Syncing a flight record makes little difference. As I said, fly responsibly and in the boundaries of the law in the first place and you'll have nothing to 'hide' eh! And as for "No one actually needs your drone to prove that you exceeded your country’s laws during flight time" - they do, in order to identify YOU!

Unfortunately, this is exectly the kind of attitude that causes us all to have out civil liberties eroded steadily. The “if you don’t have anything to hide, you won’t care if they frisk you / search your home / look through your email” is a well known preserve of those who simply don’t grasp the problem.
The issue was not one of DJI having all your registration details - they are welcome to that, but one of DJI having all your flight records and then selling them / passing them on. DJI acclaim that no data is transferred without the explicit permission of the owner but they were proven to be lying and got banned from selling product to the US armed services.

Your drone can be identified from your records that you submit to them. Without this information and without actually having the drone in their hands, all they have is your registration details.

Using tools like DJI Aeroscope, they can even tell exactly which drone is flying a particular area and identify its home point location and it’s serial number etc. Look it up.
2018-9-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules