o(^-^)o
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Everyone !
I just have a question as I had similiar issues on MA that Im having on M2P

What might be the reason that there is color missing on video footage ?

There is no color/muted color on greens and browns in my footage, even the light patch from the sun is grey on the video ( on trees beneath the mountain ).

Its unfixable in post as increasing saturation makes everything that has color unpleasently oversaturated and the grey parts are still grey for most of the time.
Its fine in Dlog-M but footage is extremely blurred.

H.256 standard profile on top, unedited DNG on the bottom.

Anyone noticed something like this ?

Missing.jpg
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Im not seeing anything overly wrong there?
2018-9-4
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 14:30
Im not seeing anything overly wrong there?

There's lack of color information in video Couple of quads was flying there, only M2P have that issue
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Are you shooting in normal or DLOG?

(And the last 2 photos have absolutely insane amounts of saturation in the greens?).

D-Log is meant to be grey - its a very very flat curve designed to preserve as much range and colour as possible for post processing.  Its also less sharpened as again thats meant to be post processing.
A DNG as well should appear flat.  It'll have no colour profiles applied to it - thats the point of a raw file.  You finish it yourself in post.

2018-9-4
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 14:45
Are you shooting in normal or DLOG?

(And the last 2 photos have absolutely insane amounts of saturation in the greens?).

Its not D-log, normal profile was used in video file.
The last two photos are oversaturated to show the issue more clearly.

I know how to process RAW files  and d-log but I cant retrieve any colour from that video footage, its just grey where unedited RAW file has more color info that video footage.
I had MA before and it was doing the same thing.  No idea what it is.
2018-9-4
Use props
Chpouky
lvl.3

I see what you mean ! The cliffs have less color information in non D-LOG videos compared to the RAW file.
The trees also have less informations and are almost grey.

Maybe it's a bug, I don't know ! To me it's normal. Non D-LOG videos are 8bit only, and RAW have way more color information.

If you don't want D-Log, maybe try to shoot in 2.7K and check if there's a difference ? It will be less compressed because it's still 100Mbps for less pixels.

But honestly I wouldn't call D-log "blurry", it just looks natural. The other modes are way too sharpened with the base settings.
Try again D-Log and increase the sharpness ?

2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Crio Posted at 2018-9-4 14:53
Its not D-log, normal profile was used in video file.
The last two photos are oversaturated to show the issue more clearly.

Have you tried one of the free LUTs as a starting point?
Ground Control have a relatively useful free one to start you off.

Ive found it much hard to get get colour back using no LUT than using one.
2018-9-4
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chpouky Posted at 2018-9-4 15:03
I see what you mean ! The cliffs have less color information in non D-LOG videos compared to the RAW file.
The trees also have less informations and are almost grey.

Thanks Chpouky
Phantom 4Adv was used in this location, look at the D-log from P4 (top) and normal mode on M2P

And by blurry I mean seriously dude, my D-log M is very soft ( and yes focus was set before shooting )
2018-9-4
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 15:23
Have you tried one of the free LUTs as a starting point?
Ground Control have a relatively useful free one to start you off.

I've tried them and there is no difference on grey parts
2018-9-4
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is an original footage here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mud33ud0gqcioul/DJI_0001.MP4?dl=0

Feel free to download and grade it and tell me how to get the color back in the mountain. If anyone will be able to get a natural color will win a prize
Image for reference
2018-9-4
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Hmm I can get it there but a lot of noise with that much vibrance applied. Let me export what I got. I hate to apply a denoiser because it looks so unnatural. Even that picture right there looks yellow to me.

You could do it by masking off the green on the mountain, and play with the sky afterward but that's a pain.
2018-9-4
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

I colour corrected th video exactly to your reference image.

All it needs is very light grading.

Normally i do much heavier grading on my footage, so this shouldn't be a problem for the MP2 and such nicely exposed footage

Screen Cap:

I render only 10s of the video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... r8PznNdv-YlLG_rbds4
2018-9-4
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Ricky Wu Posted at 2018-9-4 21:50
I colour corrected th video exactly to your reference image.

All it needs is very light grading.

Sweet.. yeah I just applied a flat lut with colorista iv and final adjusts in lumitre. But it doesn't have that color in the mountain ricky.
2018-9-4
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-4 21:54
Sweet.. yeah I just applied a flat lut with colorista iv and final adjusts in lumitre. But it doesn't have that color in the mountain ricky.

Hi Hippo! i do not use any lut for this

As my personal preference, color correction should only do manually,

so you can tweak the footage back to what you see - bit by bit and accurately.

Luts are already set, so they can't suit different environment at all.

For me, when to use luts is for cinematic color grading, since only through luts can change the color completely, perfect for artistic look or creating moods.

In my opinion, luts are for color grading, not color correcting, it doesn't work.
2018-9-4
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Ricky Wu Posted at 2018-9-4 22:04
Hi Hippo! i do not use any lut for this

As my personal preference, color correction should only do manually,

Ah I see.. Yeah I don't usually use them either, but pulling that color out xd I'm not even going to post mine. It's on youtube but it's booty

bah put it in.. Already up anyway
2018-9-4
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you guys so much !
But its still grey, most likely because there is no color data in that section.
I've done some more testing today and whole ''normal'' mode is unusable for me as M2P is doing the same thing as Mavic Air.
Does not record color data in some sections especially in shadowed areas.

In D-log you have colors back but it requires time to grade and sometimes I dont have that luxury.
Its weird as I found this color missing issue for the first time in Mavic Air and I owned P4, P4P, Mavic Pro and I2 and none of them have this ( I understand I2 is a different league ), and I thought maybe its because MA have really tiny sensor and hardware limitations.
And here we go again, M2P, the great 1inch sensor and all the bells and whistles suffering with the same thing as Mavic Air.
Cant deliver normal colours which P4Adv. for example with the same size sensor size can. Does this mean that P4Adv. have 10bit video in normal mode ( not d-log ) ;) Because it seams that the only way to get the color right from M2P is to shoot in that profile.

I will do comparison video between those two and Im also meeting another M2P user just to be sure I didn't have a faulty unit. Which I think is unlikely.
I would also appreciate if someone from DJI reply on this matter as I love all DJI products and I would like to be happy while using it.
At the moment Im not.

I've attached a still frame from a video in normal profile with Sat set to +2, and the town and trees on the right look ashy ( unable to retrieve any color in post ).
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to reformat the SD card?
2018-9-6
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-6 06:12
Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to reformat the SD card?

Hi Wanda
Thank you for the reply.

2 Cards and Internal memory was used so we can ruled out any memory faults.
I am more than sure that it is not the fault of the card or the camera itself.
Similar/Same lack of color is in Mavic Air (that's why I thought that the M2P with the praised new camera will not have it and made a swap).

I am not an engineer, I do not know at what stage this problem occurs but I have been working with the image production for years and it seems to me that the fault is not on the hardware side.
This design is more than adequate to register colors correctly (like in Phantom 4 pro or Adv.)
And it fails.

The last thing I want is to complain about the product, I'd rather fly and shoot
But unfortunately in the mode that I use in Inspire2, Phantom 4, 4 Pro and the first generation Mavic, the new M2P produces the video that is unusable in some situations (this occurs only in shadows or when it is overcast) and cant be retrieve in postproduction.
This should be addressed to the people that are responsible for imaging and compiling the firmware as this probably can be resolve on that ground.

Dont know... Im still looking for resolution.
2018-9-6
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it will help a lot if you can show on the same location and time the difference between the M2P and another drone that doesnt have the issue. This should more clearly show the problem you are talking about.
2018-9-6
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>

Asainz320 Posted at 2018-9-6 07:23
I think it will help a lot if you can show on the same location and time the difference between the M2P and another drone that doesnt have the issue. This should more clearly show the problem you are talking about.

True
Im actually doing some comparisons and will upload the video soon
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Im still not seeing anything wrong.
Looking in photoshop there is colour data in all 3 channels on the trees.
2018-9-6
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-6 07:25
Im still not seeing anything wrong.
Looking in photoshop there is colour data in all 3 channels on the trees.

Its hard if you have no reference.
I will shoot the same scene with different quads
2018-9-6
Use props
iJosh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1591047 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Crio Posted at 2018-9-6 07:35
Its hard if you have no reference.
I will shoot the same scene with different quads

Hi Crio,
I see exactly what you are saying and agree completely regarding the card and the camera not being at fault. My Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro has this same issue, my Mavic Pro 1 did not.

Notice the shadows under the cows. Colour is clearly missing in one shot, and not in another.

Missing Colours

No missing colours

Hope this helps supports your claim and also helps DJI find a resolution. Hopefully in a future firmware update!

Cheers!
2018-9-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft

Crio Posted at 2018-9-6 07:25
True
Im actually doing some comparisons and will upload the video soon

FWIW "Normal" color mode is maybe not what you may think it is -- if you want a baseline or neutral color profile, use True Color.

I don't know how useful comparing a Mavic Pro to to a MVP2 or P4 will be, other than to show the inherent differences in the camera sensors, which are different for each model.
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Need to post the unedited DNGs for any sort of meaningful comparison (as it removes any profile changes).
2018-9-6
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-9-6 15:50
FWIW "Normal" color mode is maybe not what you may think it is -- if you want a baseline or neutral color profile, use True Color.

I don't know how useful comparing a Mavic Pro to to a MVP2 or P4 will be, other than to show the inherent differences in the camera sensors, which are different for each model.

Very useful to show the missing/lost color information.
Im not talking about ''here its red, and here its orange'' ... Im talking ''here its red, and here its grey'' .
Its not a matter of different colour variants on each sensor, its a total loss of color.
2018-9-6
Use props
Waterfall1
lvl.1
Italy

I'm having the exact same issue on my Mavic 2 pro (had the same on Mavic air).
In certain tone of green there si ZERO color information

h265 mov normal 0 -1 -1 tested in 4khq, 4kFFOV and 2,7K

Mavic pro and platinum where far better in color management

Screenshot as a reference, see the hill in the back and transition of green to grey on the grass.

2018-9-16
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Waterfall1 Posted at 2018-9-16 23:20
I'm having the exact same issue on my Mavic 2 pro (had the same on Mavic air).
In certain tone of green there si ZERO color information

Thats exactly what I was experiencing, and yeah I first noticed it on MA too.
2018-9-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree the colour on the MPP was better than the MA
2018-9-17
Use props
Waterfall1
lvl.1
Italy

Two of the above frames with the saturation pushed to the upper limit in lightroom. Clearly there is almost no color information in certain areas of the trees and grass in the background

2018-9-17
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>

Same here, and its really hard to color grade as it requires increasing the values in color wheels for separate channels which can mess up the whole image.
In most cases youre still ending up with oversaturated footage with grey patches.

I've noticed this mostly in buildings where red brick structure appears red on live feed but its completely grey on the footage.
Mavic Pro was noisier but colors were there.
2018-9-17
Use props
Waterfall1
lvl.1
Italy

i've done more tests this morning comparing again Normal, DlogM.

i've applied a quick s-curve to the dlog footage in order to have the two image "match" (no fine tuning on the tint)

Here the results

and here again what happens if i push the saturatin on both

This is simply unacceptable for something that is promoted as "pro"

2018-9-17
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>

Its also clearly visible on the clif in upper left corner
2018-9-17
Use props
Waterfall1
lvl.1
Italy

Waterfall1 Posted at 2018-9-17 01:39
i've done more tests this morning comparing again Normal, DlogM.

i've applied a quick s-curve to the dlog footage in order to have the two image "match" (no fine tuning on the tint)

sorry, i uploaded the wrong picture as first one
2018-9-17
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is this a defect and we have bad units ( which is very unlikely as we both experience the same thing on with Mavic Air too )  or thats what those profiles are and people dont care that they are not getting all the colors in their footage ? Im would really want to know...
2018-9-18
Use props
iJosh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1591047 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Crio Posted at 2018-9-18 14:46
Is this a defect and we have bad units ( which is very unlikely as we both experience the same thing on with Mavic Air too )  or thats what those profiles are and people dont care that they are not getting all the colors in their footage ? Im would really want to know...

Don't think the units are defective...I would really like a fix for this too.
2018-9-18
Use props
Waterfall1
lvl.1
Italy

iJosh Posted at 2018-9-18 22:06
Don't think the units are defective...I would really like a fix for this too.

what i'm afraid is that the mavic air is more than a 1 year old if i'm not wrong but this problem hasn't been fixed.

Anyone from DJI here that can investigate or we just bought a product that is not finished yet?
2018-9-19
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

Crio Posted at 2018-9-6 07:16
Hi Wanda
Thank you for the reply.

For future reference mate, don't bother responding to the forum bots. Anything more than slightly technical is a waste of your time. Good luck with finding a fix.
2018-9-19
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So I received my replacement M2P and its a standard issue on all of them ( same as Mavic Air ).
Normal profile is missing a tone of color data in the footage.

D-log and Normal mode for comparison.

Normal

D-log

2018-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules