DJI - Mavic Air - Shaky - Wobbling Footage 4K/30
4038 20 2018-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Formula E
lvl.2
Flight distance : 283510 ft

Uploaded this footage with hopes of uncovering the exact problem. If you look closely you can see shaky/wobbly 4k/30 footage..
I tried several frame rates in this clip including the right calculations. Nothing seemed to cure it. Its recorded on 128gb Sandisk Class 10 U3 v1 card.. Arguably one of the better Micro SDs for this setup.

This is not the first issue with this particular Mavic Air and its RC. I experienced a terminal disconnection on the 12th flight and the RC has gone mute. This is my second MA and just so confused what's going here in comparison. The first 20 flights with this MA did not show any sign of this wobbling. The last 4 flights have. I got this MA 3 weeks ago. If I
had to guess it seems to be a gimbal related issue.

Really don't want to deal with DJI customer service lol so hoping to find a workaround.. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Watch clip in 4k here:

2018-9-5
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Just checked one of my 4K Vids and see no evidence of the shake you get.
In yours you can see what looks like a flutter of the image often seen at the edge of things, difficult to see on the vid unless you open it up on youtube and full screen it.
Sorry no idea what is causing it
2018-9-5
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

Ken Storm Posted at 2018-9-5 21:51
Just checked one of my 4K Vids and see no evidence of the shake you get.
In yours you can see what looks like a flutter of the image often seen at the edge of things, difficult to see on the vid unless you open it up on youtube and full screen it.
Sorry no idea what is causing it

Yeah well at least you can see it what's going on and that it's not normal. I have over 100 flights on my other MA and never experienced footage similar "flutter" "Wobble "shaking" to this either..or on the P3P or my new M2P.  Videography is how I make a living and this is just perplexing to me.
2018-9-5
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

You could have tested on other resolutions at the same time to make sure it's a recording problem.

- It may sound crazy but try to change the propellers (even if front / rear). Sometimes some of them may be unbalanced, causing the bird to vibrate.

- Try to test with another SD or internal SD
2018-9-5
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

TZero Posted at 2018-9-5 23:20
You could have tested on other resolutions at the same time to make sure it's a recording problem.

- It may sound crazy but try to change the propellers (even if front / rear). Sometimes some of them may be unbalanced, causing the bird to vibrate.

Why would the SD be the issue if in the first 20 flights with same SD this was never a problem? I will try another resolution but I want to shoot 4k/30/100 almost always... So if its faulty in that then and not another its a major issue still. Also will try out new props. I had planned to do more testing. I only had 20 mins of free time to do this today. Just getting the ball rolling on this issue. Thanks for the tip!
2018-9-5
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Does it do the same when not in flight?  If so i'd say the gimbal is the problem.  If might be worth doing a full firmware reload as the gimbal control is software and could clear the problem
2018-9-6
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

Ridg Posted at 2018-9-6 00:03
Does it do the same when not in flight?  If so i'd say the gimbal is the problem.  If might be worth doing a full firmware reload as the gimbal control is software and could clear the problem

Did another round of testing including gimbal calibration, new props, warm up, recording on internal storage and none of these corrected the issue.
2018-9-6
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I have the same issue like you had, so gimbal replacement by DJI seems fixed my issue. You can find any place that less windy to test again and send those to DJI if you still have warranty then they will replace it for you. First try to clean gimbal with small blower and move all directions gently to see if it helps. Good luck.
2018-9-6
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

Optimus_Prime Posted at 2018-9-6 18:47
I have the same issue like you had, so gimbal replacement by DJI seems fixed my issue. You can find any place that less windy to test again and send those to DJI if you still have warranty then they will replace it for you. First try to clean gimbal with small blower and move all directions gently to see if it helps. Good luck.

Did yours come out the box like this or just happen out of nowhere over time. Also if they replace the entire craft or return the someone/serial# with new gimbal etc?  Thanks for the response!
2018-9-6
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Vietnam

Formula E Posted at 2018-9-6 20:17
Did yours come out the box like this or just happen out of nowhere over time. Also if they replace the entire craft or return the someone/serial# with new gimbal etc?  Thanks for the response!

This happened right out of the box, I have planned for warranty but unluckily, it had crashed so I sent for fix, the final result for gimbal part which was replaced the gimbal shell as you can see example:
I think if you have warranty you can send them for a free fix, but i believe chance they may replace part as above more than whole craft.
Did you try to clean up gimbal to avoid small obstacles like dust with blower? I suggest to try it first to see. And if you have to send for a fix, remember to check carefully image quality and remind them. You do not want to receive the fix with blurry image!! Good luck.
2018-9-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Formula E Posted at 2018-9-5 23:52
Why would the SD be the issue if in the first 20 flights with same SD this was never a problem? I will try another resolution but I want to shoot 4k/30/100 almost always... So if its faulty in that then and not another its a major issue still. Also will try out new props. I had planned to do more testing. I only had 20 mins of free time to do this today. Just getting the ball rolling on this issue. Thanks for the tip!

SD cards are typically the lowest grade of NAND flash memory.... so they degrade faster than any other form.  

not saying this is what happened or is causing issues, just pointing out why an SD cards may start underperforming when any other time it maybe performing great.   

long story short, i think SD cards as as low as NAND flash cutdowns go for memory binning.  eMMC is pretty bad but i think even eMMC is a few step above SD cards..
2018-9-6
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-6 22:48
SD cards are typically the lowest grade of NAND flash memory.... so they degrade faster than any other form.  

not saying this is what happened or is causing issues, just pointing out why an SD cards may start underperforming when any other time it maybe performing great.   

Yeah makes that could happen. Doesn't seem likely since the vibration represented is horizontal and looks gimbal related imo. I confirmed by testing it with recording to internal storage and achieved the same results.
2018-9-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Formula E Posted at 2018-9-6 22:56
Yeah makes that could happen. Doesn't seem likely since the vibration represented is horizontal and looks gimbal related imo. I confirmed by testing it with recording to internal storage and achieved the same results.

i dont have a mavic air (yet, def going to get one soon)  but i know on mavic pro you can calibrate the gimbal, does the mavic air have a option for that?

do you have a lens filter like ND filter or anything on the camera?  if so take it off, reboot the drone and try again without it..  or if you dont, try adding a ND filter or a clear UV filter to the lens, reboot see if it helps.  i know on my mavic pro i sometimes have jello effect caused by i assume same micro vibration issues, and adding a filter (UV or ND) fixes it for me.. i guess the extra weight helps
2018-9-6
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

Optimus_Prime Posted at 2018-9-6 20:36
This happened right out of the box, I have planned for warranty but unluckily, it had crashed so I sent for fix, the final result for gimbal part which was replaced the gimbal shell as you can see example: [view_image]
I think if you have warranty you can send them for a free fix, but i believe chance they may replace part as above more than whole craft.
Did you try to clean up gimbal to avoid small obstacles like dust with blower? I suggest to try it first to see. And if you have to send for a fix, remember to check carefully image quality and remind them. You do not want to receive the fix with blurry image!! Good luck.

Why would they fix and give it back to me with "the blurry image"? Is that a commonly documented problem with DJI repair on the MA?

This seems absurd since its basically brand new out of the box. Sucks to hear about the crash. I was hoping to find more people with this particular issue but I guess you can look at that as a good thing lol.  Seems like I got lemon considering all the issues that have occurred and been documented in its first 3 weeks.
2018-9-6
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-6 23:02
i dont have a mavic air (yet, def going to get one soon)  but i know on mavic pro you can calibrate the gimbal, does the mavic air have a option for that?

do you have a lens filter like ND filter or anything on the camera?  if so take it off, reboot the drone and try again without it..  or if you dont, try adding a ND filter or a clear UV filter to the lens, reboot see if it helps.  i know on my mavic pro i sometimes have jello effect caused by i assume same micro vibration issues, and adding a filter (UV or ND) fixes it for me.. i guess the extra weight helps

I've done all those things you said. It was in one of my responses today. Not the ND part but that was also one of the many things I tried including a gimbal calibration with each filter. Same results every time.
2018-9-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Formula E Posted at 2018-9-6 23:13
I've done all those things you said. It was in one of my responses today. Not the ND part but that was also one of the many things I tried including a gimbal calibration with each filter. Same results every time.

hmmm..   something is freaking the gimbal out but what is the question..  

before messing with the gimbal or getting a replacement, here is a list of things to try you may or may not have tried:

1. change all the props as props can create vibrations

2. try new filters with more or less weight and make sure they are fully seated.

3. calibrate gimbal on a flat level surface.  make sure its as level as possible!

4. recalibrate the IMU on a flat level surface.

5. refresh firmware and reset all the settings.

6. use compressed air and spray the gimbal where it attached and moves incase maybe little tiny peice of debris.

7... hope and prey?
2018-9-6
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Vietnam

Formula E Posted at 2018-9-6 23:06
Why would they fix and give it back to me with "the blurry image"? Is that a commonly documented problem with DJI repair on the MA?

This seems absurd since its basically brand new out of the box. Sucks to hear about the crash. I was hoping to find more people with this particular issue but I guess you can look at that as a good thing lol.  Seems like I got lemon considering all the issues that have occurred and been documented in its first 3 weeks.

Actually several users get some issue with blurry images as misallignment of lens and sensor. I was in that case too so this MA is my second one and also crashed!!! You can see my several post about blurry, shaking, crash... Just extra reminder when you send for a fix if needed. Good luck
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the troubles that it caused. I would like to ask what happened to your aircraft prior to this issue? Is this occurring in a different resolution? I would like to clarify if this video is from SD card? I would recommend restoring factory defaults and refresh the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 to see if there will be changes. Please see the link below.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads
2018-9-9
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-9 09:58
Hi, Sorry for the troubles that it caused. I would like to ask what happened to your aircraft prior to this issue? Is this occurring in a different resolution? I would like to clarify if this video is from SD card? I would recommend restoring factory defaults and refresh the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 to see if there will be changes. Please see the link below.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads

No damage or anything if that's what you are inferring? Why does it matter if happens in other resolutions or not? It happens in one(the important 4k/30) and that's enough to warrant a major issue.

The facts are: That I've done all those resets and installs via the assistant. The shake happens in every resolution. There are about 30 flights on the craft which has suffered 0 damage. Since unboxing, the RC experienced firmware update issues which were corrected, it has updated but has since gone mute. The MA craft also experienced a terminal disconnection in plain view but RTH safely. This was documented on here as well.
2018-9-9
Use props
biob_mav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53612 ft
United Kingdom

Do the props have any damage? Could be cause due to an imbalance in the props due to unsmooth edge of prop?
2018-9-9
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2

biob_mav Posted at 2018-9-9 11:13
Do the props have any damage? Could be cause due to an imbalance in the props due to unsmooth edge of prop?

I've tried 2 different sets of OEM brand new props. The originals had no damage either.
2018-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules