Radio channel quality Poor
3462 31 2018-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23428 ft

Under the Aircraft status screen I am seeing the above message highlighted in red. With the message below reading "strong interference fly with caution"

While I am unsure if this was present yesterday on day 1, I first noticed it after the 2nd firmware update today which I believe was mostly related to DJI goggles.

I live in the countryside far away from radio interference, and also ruled out my wifi by taking the drone about 500m away from any building.

I tried relinking the remote and reinstalling the app.

Phone is a galaxy s9 and i have tried this with flight mode enabled on the phone.

I am new to DJI, so not ready to ruoe out user error just yet so any suggestions much appreciated.

2018-9-6
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

If you want to see if this was a existing condition, look at your prior flight logs where you flew from the same location. You can get instructions on how to do this at the DJI Flight Log Viewer site.
2018-9-6
Use props
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2

Thanks for your reply Paul.

Nothing in the logs other than a few homepoint set and braking  messages. This particular notice does not pop on main screen as a warning at any point, it only appears on the Status screen.  Am I missing further log detail ? or is this item simply not logged

I have since  updated  the remote firmware with  DJI Assistant again, and just about to do the same with the Mavic .

Not sure if its relevant but when I was returning inside I sat the powered on  drone and remote on top of a chest freezer while I was closing the door and it sensed a strong magnetic field and requested  a compass calibration
2018-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

First of all I have to ask if you are talking about Mavic 2? I ask because you mention a second firmware update. Just for Mavic 2 there only has been one so far. Or had you forgotten to do the firmware updates on the other batteries as well and therefore were prompted again?
If it is really a Mavic 2 I can share that when switching it the first time on after all the updating and settings to do, I had the "Poor Signal" indicated on the status screen as well the first two times after switching on but not again thereafter. And when flying the signal was absolutely stable.
2018-9-6
Use props
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2

yes mavic 2 zoom. and thank you for the reply

I did the first  well publicised firmware update on day 1 before flight and it requested a second one  earlier today.

I didn't realise it needed to update the batteries, I have just checked again by plugging each in turn and reading with DJI Assistant and all are reporting the V1 firmware.
2018-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9 Posted at 2018-9-6 14:30
yes mavic 2 zoom. and thank you for the reply

I did the first  well publicised firmware update on day 1 before flight and it requested a second one  earlier today.

Ok, it must have been one of the batteries then that was not yet updated. Not all firmware updates also affect the batteries, but this one did. Therefore always check with at least one more battery after any firmware update to be on the safe side.
2018-9-6
Use props
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2

Hi Wachtberger

Will do. Its late so no testing outside until tomorrow where I am going to try a completely different outside location

But for now , its still showing [radio channel quality] status as POOR. with full signal bars showing in the app and on the remote screen. In fact it begins with status GOOD and within a minute or so , changes to POOR

AS a new user I am possibly being over cautious , however, if the radio signal bars are full,  if this message persists, is it safe to fly assuming RTH failsafe programmed properly or should it be resolved first?

Thanks again
2018-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9 Posted at 2018-9-6 14:57
Hi Wachtberger

Will do. Its late so no testing outside until tomorrow where I am going to try a completely different outside location

Are you testing in house right now? There very likely is WiFi interference around you. Test it outside in an open area and I am optimistic that the warning will go away.
2018-9-6
Use props
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2

yes inside now, .....and that many power cycles and firmware reupdates that I am starting to loose track of what was done where,  so avfresh start tomorrow and I will update this thread on outcome either way. Thanks to all for help and support
2018-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9 Posted at 2018-9-6 15:06
yes inside now, .....and that many power cycles and firmware reupdates that I am starting to loose track of what was done where,  so avfresh start tomorrow and I will update this thread on outcome either way. Thanks to all for help and support

You are very welcome! Yes, the first day is usually very time consuming. But thereafter the joy of flying starts :-)
2018-9-6
Use props
covpack
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1295902 ft
United States

On my status screen, the screen that pops up when you first go fly in DJI go4, in read it states "poor signal" between RC and aircraft. However, the main screen icon with the RC is showing all bars lit up. I have flown, so far, up to 1.5 miles away and have seen no loss of signal, not even a bar drop. NOt sure why it keeps saying such in the status menu.
2018-9-6
Use props
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Useful info Covpac, thanks. So ... proceed , but with caution...

I did some more research last night and if its just an over sensitive receive setting warning for video link quality as suggested by other related posts on this topic, then the consequences are less drastic than loss of RC control.

Regardless of correct RTH, my immediate concern would be manned aircraft as there is at least one private helicopter that operates near me where the 500ft rule is obviously ignored completely. I haven't managed to catch the registration markings yet as the pilot flys so crazy low
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. Kindly provide a screenshot of the error message so that I can check it on my end. As mentioned on post #8, please try  it on an open wide area to make sure that there's no interference. Please  let me know if the issue persists.
2018-9-7
Use props
covpack
lvl.2
United States

Attached are two screenshots. Sorry, it was shot in my house. HOwever, this is the screen that opens in the startup (aircraft status) that shows poor signal, whereas, the (see second screensht) shows all signals as max. This has alwasy shown since I got the Mavic 2 this week. I have flown in areas that are isolated with this still showing but no drop in signal. I was flying this morning and realized I had flown 2.5 miles, and the MAVIC 2 was still fine, showing all bars as max.
Ignore the compass error, as again, it was sitting on a table, that, of course, interfers with the magnet.
2018-9-7
Use props
covpack
lvl.2
United States

covpack Posted at 2018-9-7 09:11
Attached are two screenshots. Sorry, it was shot in my house. HOwever, this is the screen that opens in the startup (aircraft status) that shows poor signal, whereas, the (see second screensht) shows all signals as max. This has alwasy shown since I got the Mavic 2 this week. I have flown in areas that are isolated with this still showing but no drop in signal. I was flying this morning and realized I had flown 2.5 miles, and the MAVIC 2 was still fine, showing all bars as max. [view_image][view_image]
Ignore the compass error, as again, it was sitting on a table, that, of course, interfers with the magnet.

Note: I also flew my Mavic Air the same locations and right after each my Mavic flights. It does not show any problems or signal issues in the aircraft status page.  
2018-9-7
Use props
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2

You beat me to it covpack,

That is exactly the message I am seeing.

When I restart and check just after startup, the status message sometimes reads GOOD for anything up to a minute or two before changing to POOR as per your screenshot. This is without flying or moving anything

I have never noticed it changing back to good again no matter where I move the remote or mavic2.

I have tried two locations which are low noise , tomorrow I can try somewhere in the mountains which should be as close to zero as you can get .
2018-9-7
Use props
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2

When I restart and check just after startup, the status message sometimes reads GOOD for anything up to a minute or two before changing to POOR as per your screenshot. This is without flying or moving anything

I have never noticed it changing back to good again no matter where I move the remote or mavic2. So far I have tried two locations which I would think are comparatively low radio noise , tomorrow I can try somewhere in the mountains which should be as close to zero as you can get .

Is it possible that the condition is not resetting the error flag and message when the interference profile changes or drops below the threshold again ?

It would have to be happening on a lot more than two or three controllers I guess. Also does anyone know if this generic message is referring to the control signals, the video feed or both
2018-9-7
Use props
fans9def7aa7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9 Posted at 2018-9-7 10:46

I have similar issues - within just 200-300 metres in an open field my Mavic 2 Zoom loses signal and prompts RTH. In addition, video quality is very grainy and full of noise.
2018-9-7
Use props
13ringinheat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103612 ft
United States

Getting the same message for my brand new mavic 2 pro. I have flown it a mile away and it was good but the initial message of strong interference and poor signal is disconcerting.
2018-9-7
Use props
djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9
lvl.2

I have been doing some testing in a workshop which is constructed from 6" thick concrete walls and an insulated tin roof. So,effectively a farady cage once all electrical,equipment was switched off. So,here is the sequence of what i did and what I found. It might explain why only some are seeing this.  

1. Power on app, remote and mavic2 slowly and in that order, all other electrical equipment off.

2. I slowly switched on some light bulbs, TV screen, fridge etc, and all remained good. So i took the remote for a drive in car and lost connection about 200m away. When I reconnected i returned to the concrete room, and status read GOOD. I was monitoring and at no point did thd radio quality status read POOR before loosing signal.

3. Back in the concrete room I switched on my Dell XPS laptop and straight away it changed to the POOR radio status.

4. I switched off the laptop and waited 5 mins but the status did not change back to GOOD.

5. I tried restarting the app and the controller separately and then together, however the POOR status remained.

6. Finally I restarted the mavic and just before the status lights on the drone turned to flashing green, the Radio Quality updated to GOOD.

I repeated the above twice with the same results and then a third time with a devolo wifi access point, again same results.

This is suggesting that the interference is registered and the message displayed, tis message just does not update until the drone is reset.

I will do some more tests tomorrow, actually flying and see what happens, but staying away from all strong wifi signals for the full duration.

There were quite a few more tests, but the only way I could get the status to change from POOR to GOOD  without a mavic2 reset, was to,manually change between 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Changing the channel within 5 or 2.4 did not work eventhough you could clearly see the manual chanel had no interference.

It would also seem like there is some sort of interference signal averaging to trigger a warning, as the longer I maintain  good signal, the longer it took to trigger the POOR status by manually selecting a noisy channel.

That live graph is an incredibly useful diagnostic tool.  

2018-9-7
Use props
covpack
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9 Posted at 2018-9-7 14:36
I have been doing some testing in a workshop which is constructed from 6" thick concrete walls and an insulated tin roof. So,effectively a farady cage once all electrical,equipment was switched off. So,here is the sequence of what i did and what I found. It might explain why only some are seeing this.  

1. Power on app, remote and mavic2 slowly and in that order, all other electrical equipment off.

That would make sense, the Mavic 2 senses a poor signal initially then jumps to another signal but does not release/clear the Poor Signal prompt. Of course, my understanding of Occusync 2 is that it is constantly seeking for good signals between the 2.4gb and 5.8 ghz at a very FAST rate, so I can imagine that a Occusync 2 switches signals dozens of times while in flight if not more.
2018-9-7
Use props
Dec01123
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I wondered about that, but if the live transmission graph is a true representation, it appears to pick a band at start-up and change channel within that band when interference is found.

It appeats that it changes band much less frequently.

ALl my observations so far are wiihin 100ft AGL and close enough to very clearly see

Looking like the issue is due to a failure to release the warning state and/or update the warning message when obvious action has been taken to remove the source of  interference.

2018-9-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_kUDbVO4wptG9 Posted at 2018-9-6 22:34
Useful info Covpac, thanks. So ... proceed , but with caution...

I did some more research last night and if its just an over sensitive receive setting warning for video link quality as suggested by other related posts on this topic, then the consequences are less drastic than loss of RC control.

I was reading your thread and I am a retired Helicopter pilot among many other aircraft types. Please note that the Helicopter flight rules are very different than fixed wing aircraft in VFR. Helicopters do not have to maintain flight above 500 feet and can operate to the ground in most areas. So please be careful when you see helicopter operations when you are flying your drone.

I hope you can solve your range / radio issues.  

I found that if you put your remote off of Auto mode and select either 2.4 or 5.8 then look at the frequency band for clean signal. tap on that area and go fly. Most of the time you an find a frequency that works in your area with a strong reading.

Rich
2018-9-7
Use props
Dec01123
lvl.2

Thanks Rich, that is the best advice and conclusion to the initial problem I have been trying to find the words for.

2018-9-7
Use props
Raiderfan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 810869 ft
  • >>>

Dec01123 Posted at 2018-9-7 17:03
Thanks Rich, that is the best advice and conclusion to the initial problem I have been trying to find the words for.

I am also having the same message..........Radio interference.  Strong interference fly with caution...............POOR ????? with my mavic 2 zoom and mavic pro.   
2018-9-9
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

Same here..
2018-9-9
Use props
Raiderfan
lvl.2
  • >>>

I have flown the M2Z with no signal lost but have experienced several signal lost with the MP thus activating the return to home.  This message only appears in the AIR CRAFT STATUS window upon start u .  I believe this all began after the last firmware upgrade.........
2018-9-9
Use props
Raiderfan
lvl.2
  • >>>

Update....................No more Radio Interference Message ......Status has changed to good.  Not sure what was going on but everything is back to normal with no signal lost.  

2018-9-9
Use props
Dec01123
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I think what seems to be happening is that if there is any one instance of interferemce from wifi triggering the warning, then that message remains set until you restart, or manually change the channel and/or band to a less noisy channel. The startup part of my first few flights were conducted too close to a laptop.

Now I don't see the message at all.

2018-9-10
Use props
Raiderfan
lvl.2
  • >>>

Ok I am getting the message again........RADIO CHANNEL QUALITY..............POOR
                                                                     STRONG INTERFERENCE FLY WITH CAUTION

Does anyone else see this message..............Can you guys check your aircraft status to see if this message appears.  

DJI any thoughts on this issue?.......

2018-9-10
Use props
Dec01123
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Raiderfan, have you tried manually selecting a clear channel to see if it clears the message?, that would suggest yours is behaving in a very similar way to mine.

I found that proximity of a strong wifi source of anything less than a few yards or metres to either the Remote or the drone will trigger the message within a few minutes at best.

The fact that it does not clear was a little disconcerting at first, however if it cleared quickly and you didnt check the status screen, you would never know after your flight that at some point you were flying with strong interference.

Could this be how DJI intended it to behave?

2018-9-10
Use props
djiuser_UviVUUJILHSM
New

United States

<subscribed>
sorry, didn't see a way to subscribe without commenting. i'm buying a Mavic Pro 2 soon.
2018-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules