Transferring ownership
22734 19 2018-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pootercat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 418284 ft
  • >>>

Is there a procedure for transferring ownership of a drone? I am going to give my Mavic air to my son now that I have a Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 zoom.
Of course there is my Spark and P4Pro too.  How do I clear it of my name?

2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

I'm actually interested in this too, but not only for name transfer, but also about the warranty, DJI Care Refresh... Is that transferable to a new owner as well?

Anyone have any insight on that?
2018-9-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I am interested from aspect of ensuring personal information does not get passed on.   Along with transferred devices being assigned new Serial numbers, to ensure there is no association with previous owner.  

Don't want new owner breaking the law, resulting in FBI performing a No-Knock Search and Arrest at wrong house at 2:30am.
2018-9-7
Use props
BrandonBelew
lvl.1

United States

Delete the drone from your https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/ account,  register it under the new user.   Would assume it would generate a new registration code to keep the government happy.  

Per previous posts the DJI Refresh is tied to the device serial number and there is no need to transfer it.  The new owner can make a claim on it.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Pootercat, the activation account of the drone cannot be changed, but it will not affect the warranty service, the warranty period for a product starts on the day such product is delivered, please transfer the proof of purchase to the new owner. Please let us know if you have further concern.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-7 17:18
I'm actually interested in this too, but not only for name transfer, but also about the warranty, DJI Care Refresh... Is that transferable to a new owner as well?

Anyone have any insight on that?

Hi Edison, the warranty period for a product starts on the day such product is delivered, please transfer the proof of purchase to the new owner, the warranty will not be affected.
For the DJI Care Refresh, it is bound to the serial number, you will just need to transfer the email of the service agreement (if it is purchased from the online store) or the DJI Care Refresh activation card (if it is purchased from the dealer) and the proof of purchase.
Please let us know if you have further concern, thank you.
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-7 20:10
Hi Edison, the warranty period for a product starts on the day such product is delivered, please transfer the proof of purchase to the new owner, the warranty will not be affected.
For the DJI Care Refresh, it is bound to the serial number, you will just need to transfer the email of the service agreement (if it is purchased from the online store) or the DJI Care Refresh activation card (if it is purchased from the dealer) and the proof of purchase.
Please let us know if you have further concern, thank you.

Hello Mindy,

Thank you VERY much for your response!

Truthfully, that was the first factual and useful response I have received on this forum from a DJI staff member, and am thankful you are here!

Good to know the warranty is bound to the serial number of the aircraft. I have all documentation and emails pertaining to the purchase and DJI Care Refresh, so will make sure to provide any potential new owner with that information upon ownership transfer.

Thanks again!
2018-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You cannot clear your name , if you are purchasing a new drone then you will just activate your new drone to your present dji account.
If you want to hand on your drone to your son, then he just needs to open an account with dji, download dji go4 app sign in and he can fly your drone, all new flight records will now be in his name.
You can sync all your previous flights, then delete, but there is no way to delete the totalflight history from the drone.
It’s all pretty straight forward , there will be no comeback to you because of your sons activities as drone will be now flown under his account.
2018-9-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

good info Hallmark thanks for the info
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-8 13:02
Hello Mindy,

Thank you VERY much for your response!

You are very welcome, Edison, glad to know it helps, please let us know if you have any further concern.
2018-9-10
Use props
fans639400e3
New

United States

I was given a phantom 4 drone! Is there a contact number for transfering ownership to me? Don't know much about drones but want to learn to use it
2020-7-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans639400e3 Posted at 7-3 11:41
I was given a phantom 4 drone! Is there a contact number for transfering ownership to me? Don't know much about drones but want to learn to use it

No - read Hallmarks reply in post 11 which says it all.
2020-7-3
Use props
Wanderer707
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42562 ft
United States

I bought a smart controller from an individual. The SC is still under warranty. I have been using the smart controller with my mavic air 2 without any problems; however, I'd like to make sure DJI acknowledges I am the new owner. I'll appreciate the help of a DJI person.
2020-10-7
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Flight distance : 976798 ft
Netherlands

Hypothetical, but suppose the following. My drone and gear (covered by Care Refresh) is lost or stolen and is completely registered by another one. What can I do?
2020-11-22
Use props
Ozzy Stone
New

Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-8 13:30
You cannot clear your name , if you are purchasing a new drone then you will just activate your new drone to your present dji account.
If you want to hand on your drone to your son, then he just needs to open an account with dji, download dji go4 app sign in and he can fly your drone, all new flight records will now be in his name.
You can sync all your previous flights, then delete, but there is no way to delete the totalflight history from the drone.

Thanks for explaining it,
Do you know if  the same applies when you sold it to someone else?

Thanks
2020-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Ozzy Stone Posted at 12-22 22:23
Thanks for explaining it,
Do you know if  the same applies when you sold it to someone else?

YES exactly the same...
2020-12-26
Use props
Im913mostwanted
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4068829 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-8 13:30
If you want to hand on your drone to your son, then he just needs to open an account with dji, download dji go4 app sign in and he can fly your drone, all new flight records will now be in his name.

in that case you just stated; very similar to me selling my old Mavic Mini to a friend; and they dont know nor care about the coverage... I know it is bound to serial number; but what I perceive you as saying is that  if I just log in from the brand new mini 2 just unwrapped; and sign in; will the coverage move over.......? or, is there any way )since its still within the year of me buying it), will I be able to transfer it over to my mini 2; or am I up schitts creek....?

Thanks, fellas!
2021-5-20
Use props
DroneFixes
lvl.1

United Kingdom

First apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

Some concerns & several questions as I'm about to buy a DJI Mini 4 Pro and I don't want to stuck without cover or an unusable drone, so I need to make sure the original owner does everything necessary when i go to collect it.

Recap
So can I confirm the following recap on transferring ownership (thanks to @DJI Mindy)

• The activation account cannot be changed.
  • Warranty will continue for the remaining period provided 'proof of purchase'  (POP) is transferred to the new owner.
  • For DJI Care Refresh:-

• Transfer email of service agreement (if purchased from online store of  transfer email of DJI Care Refresh activation card (if purchased from a dealer
  • Transfer 'proof of ownership' to new owner.

Concerns & Questions
The 'DJI Care Refresh' seems very valuable, however the procedure to transfer it seems a little confusing, however this may be the situation:-

• If  the drone already has Care Refresh this still continue, but somehow I'd need get the email address changed? Presumably the original owner would need to contact either the Online Store or perhaps I could use the Activation Card and proof of purchase to effect the transfer?

If there's no current Care Refresh then perhaps can I buy this with Proof of Ownership?

So what legally constitutes Proof Of Ownership?
How would DJI or myself know if the drone physically meets the warranty provisions, should I take photos of it, look for damage, run tests, run diagnostics (camera, gimbal etc) and perhaps perform a test flight?  What does DJI recommend/advise?

Would there be any future contact back to the original account once all transfers have been done, obviously the original owner will be under no obligation to do anything?

Watching YT it seems the following steps (in order) should be done by the seller:-
  • the controller should have all photos saved/or deleted if (as required) both external SD and internal memory re-formatted.
  • the drone should have its SD card removed, photos saved/or deleted (as required) and re-formatted.
  • the  controller needs to be 'unbound' from the drone.
  • the controller needs to be factory reset (i.e. erase all data)
  • Any registrations e.g. FAA in USA deleted.

Any comments, advice suggestions would be very welcome ✔️

3-20 09:37
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

^It's just a drone, not a car or a house; there's no title.  Not sure in your country but it's consider personal property so there is no real ownership or proof of purchase.  Treat it like you would a set of golf clubs or your couch.  The warranty and the DJI care refresh stay with the drone and it's "inside" the drone regardless of who owns the drone.  No need to speak to anyone "in charge" about it.  Just have the owner log out of their DJI account and that's about all you need them to do.
3-20 13:24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneFixes Posted at 3-20 09:37
First apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere.
Some concerns & several questions as I'm about to buy a DJI Mini 4 Pro and I don't want to stuck without cover or an unusable drone, so I need to make sure the original owner does everything necessary when i go to collect it.
Recap So can I confirm the following recap on transferring ownership (thanks to @DJI Mindy)

You missed an important step, the drone must be unbound from the original owner's account and that is in addition to the controller being unbound from the drone.
That assumes the drone was bound to the original owner's account and that the controller was bound to the drone.

With regards to getting care refresh on a second hand drone, unless things have changed you can ONLY get such care refresh if it has NOT previously had care refresh.
As for the procedure, google "DJI verification video" and I recollect you may have to provide .txt and .DAT flightlogs.

I would specifically ask DJI what are the circumstances and procedures under which the owner of a second hand drone that still the original owner valid care refresh can use that care refresh, I recollect asking before but not getting precise answers..... it's irrelevant for me now and I never needed to use it so I did not persue the matter.
3-20 14:03
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules