Mavic Air battery discharge every 3 months?
2980 11 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
biob_mav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53612 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
Have read that I should do a full discharge and recharge of my batteries every three months to keep them in shape. How can I safely do this?

My thought.... I have a constant current load, which is ideal for this task. Do DJI sell a lead that has the battery(charge)connector on one side and banana plugs the other end? Have seen leads on places like eBay, but the connectors are wider that the official leads and I don’t want to damage the connector on my batteries.

Or do the sell a device to do this?
2018-9-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

You need a DJI Powerbank adapter (it’s included in the Fly More combo) £17 on DJI store, but you can probably find it cheaper.  You can then use your batteries to recharge any USB connected device such as a phone or camera.
2018-9-9
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The batteries self discharge anyway after 10 days.
2018-9-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ShadyDealer Posted at 2018-9-9 12:21
The batteries self discharge anyway after 10 days.

Correct, but only to 65%. The 3 month guide is to fully cycle the batteries if you’ve not used them, so you want to get down to about 30%
2018-9-9
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-9-9 14:04
Correct, but only to 65%. The 3 month guide is to fully cycle the batteries if you’ve not used them, so you want to get down to about 30%

Oh right didn’t know fella. Thought it dropped them lower. I always thought you shouldn’t discharge lippos to much anyway?
2018-9-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's no need to cycle the batteries every three months. Your batteries should last a long time if you do nothing other than follow these tips.
2018-9-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
United Kingdom

msinger Posted at 2018-9-9 14:20
There's no need to cycle the batteries every three months. Your batteries should last a long time if you do nothing other than follow these tips.

Wrong! The official DJI guide for care of the batteries states to charge & discharge every 3 months if being stored
DJI guide to care of batteries
2018-9-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-9-9 14:29
Wrong! The official DJI guide for care of the batteries states to charge & discharge every 3 months if being stored
DJI guide to care of batteries

The fact that you've seen something in a DJI guide and/or on the Internet does not make it so. I own many DJI drones and am speaking from experience. If you want to cycle your batteries though, then have at it. Cycling them should not damage them.
2018-9-9
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

It’s recommended to cycle your battery if not using over 3 months. However, it’s impossible for me not flying over a month. So it’s not related to frequent flyer
2018-9-9
Use props
kab123
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113258 ft
South Africa

If I can't fly for a while I just let it hover in the yard until it does a emergency landing. Then I leave it on to let it completely drain.

Charge it back up to 60% and store it.

A year old battery with a 100 cycles on it is in a lot healthier shape than a year old battery with 4 cycles in it.
2018-9-9
Use props
biob_mav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53612 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you everyone for the replies.
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, biob_mav, glad to see many users give you advice. DJI Powerbank adapter is a great choice to discharge the battery, if you would like to fully discharge the battery quickly, you can fly the drone or hover the drone with the video recording on, it would be much quicker.
2018-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules