Mavic Air "Precision" Landing
2078 21 2018-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

I`d like to know who has had the experience of such a near 100% precise landing than that which happened to me during the past weekend.

TWO centimetres OK IF one has to "split" hairs about the distance then maybe 3cm

Check the photo`s.

On Take-off (The twig is to get it level)

On Take-off (The twig is to get it level)

On Landing

On Landing
2018-9-10
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Yes, the precision landing works very good. On my spark also, it lands very close to where it originally took off, off by centimeters.
Coming soon for mavic 2

Fly safely
Alex
2018-9-10
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Impressive accuracy but never use it.
2018-9-10
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-10 04:36
Impressive accuracy but never use it.

CoeyB10 you are correct however it is nice to test the capabilities once in a while.  BTW it is a lot more dependent on the available GPS Constellation over an area than most will realise.
2018-9-10
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Interesting. I don't seem to get such good results. I have a landing pad for my MA and when I let it land automatically, it would never hit the landing pad. I always have to land manually. The pad is I think 75cm in diameter.
2018-9-10
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-9-10 04:40
CoeyB10 you are correct however it is nice to test the capabilities once in a while.  BTW it is a lot more dependent on the available GPS Constellation over an area than most will realise.

That's what a lot of people don't take into consideration with most of the DJI craft. They assume that it will do it as accurately as possible every time they do it. GPS, compass, IMU etc etc and the list goes on. Since the P3S I have used it to get in close range and landed it myself. Good to see though.
2018-9-10
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

saviour Posted at 2018-9-10 04:49
Interesting. I don't seem to get such good results. I have a landing pad for my MA and when I let it land automatically, it would never hit the landing pad. I always have to land manually. The pad is I think 75cm in diameter.

I have to admit that it is not always that accurate
Things that play a critical role is time of day and position and distribution of the satellites in the constellation that can be "seen" by the GPS module in the craft.  It is really not too dependent on the brand of aerial vehicle (eg. DJI or Autel, etc) that is flown as most of these have identical GPS modules fitted.
2018-9-10
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-10 04:51
That's what a lot of people don't take into consideration with most of the DJI craft. They assume that it will do it as accurately as possible every time they do it. GPS, compass, IMU etc etc and the list goes on. Since the P3S I have used it to get in close range and landed it myself. Good to see though.

What most people don`t realise with most craft really.
2018-9-10
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-9-10 04:59
What most people don`t realise with most craft really.

There's a Huuuuuuge percentage lately
2018-9-10
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-10 05:02
There's a Huuuuuuge percentage lately

Yeah.  Fortunately for those that don`t know that they don`t know it is not a problem
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for letting us know your feedback about Precision Landing. Please let us know if you still need more help.
2018-9-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-11 02:50
Hi. Thank you for letting us know your feedback about Precision Landing. Please let us know if you still need more help.

Thank you for your reply.  Currently not yet other issues.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-9-11 03:09
Thank you for your reply.  Currently not yet other issues.

That's good to know. Have a safe flight!
2018-9-11
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft

Hendrik, I havent had much luck with precision landing although I always choose it when taking off just in case. In the beggining I had some scary moments and that made land and even come home all manually. At least to me, that is much safer and trusty. And I do it faster than the machine, so I think it served me to get to a better path when flying.
2018-9-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Ulysses Paiva Posted at 2018-9-11 04:22
Hendrik, I havent had much luck with precision landing although I always choose it when taking off just in case. In the beggining I had some scary moments and that made land and even come home all manually. At least to me, that is much safer and trusty. And I do it faster than the machine, so I think it served me to get to a better path when flying.

Ulysses, thank you for your comment.

I like to use RTH a lot as it is just so much more secure.  IMHO precision landing is not necessary but it was a nice day and I decided to see the result.
2018-9-11
Use props
Pat C
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12589 ft
United States

Ulysses Paiva Posted at 2018-9-11 04:22

How do you choose precision landing? I'm new to the Mavic Air, is there something I should being selecting on the remote?
2018-9-11
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

When you click take-off on your phone screen (one of the Left Hand Side icons),it pops up a message, there is a tick box above which you select to do a precision landing, then as it rises it records shots of the landing zone for when it returns. It will even turn it self to the same direction as take off when it lands.
2018-9-11
Use props
Canefan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88074 ft
United States

Ken Storm Posted at 2018-9-11 08:43
When you click take-off on your phone screen (one of the Left Hand Side icons),it pops up a message, there is a tick box above which you select to do a precision landing, then as it rises it records shots of the landing zone for when it returns. It will even turn it self to the same direction as take off when it lands.

The key to this working is that you have to give the aircraft time to record the takeoff image.  If you fly off too quickly then it will not land precisely when it returns.  I let the MA hover for a good 10 seconds before I fly off and it always lands within inches of the takeoff point.  There is a Youtube video out there where the guy demonstrates what happens if you fly off too quickly.
2018-9-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Ken Storm Posted at 2018-9-11 08:43
When you click take-off on your phone screen (one of the Left Hand Side icons),it pops up a message, there is a tick box above which you select to do a precision landing, then as it rises it records shots of the landing zone for when it returns. It will even turn it self to the same direction as take off when it lands.

Thank you for your reply.  Appreciated
2018-9-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Canefan Posted at 2018-9-11 09:12
The key to this working is that you have to give the aircraft time to record the takeoff image.  If you fly off too quickly then it will not land precisely when it returns.  I let the MA hover for a good 10 seconds before I fly off and it always lands within inches of the takeoff point.  There is a Youtube video out there where the guy demonstrates what happens if you fly off too quickly.

Hav`nt seen it but I can just imagine.  Fly off too quickly and get a fly-away
2018-9-11
Use props
Canefan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88074 ft
United States

2018-9-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Thank you for that.

When one does the precision act with the Mavic Air it goes up to 6 meters by itself and then hovers.  From there you can then fly around.
2018-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules