1376 12 2018-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans589cba4b
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

I submitted this to suppert but sill no response. is no one else having this same issue?

2018-9-11
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

You are a much more experienced pilot than I, so I have a question that may seem obvious (but isn't to me). I thought Active Track was for tracking, well, an active target. Would I want to use Point of Interest for circling a stationary object? Could you describe what is going wrong in your video?
2018-9-11
Use props
fans589cba4b
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's also meant for stationary subjects and on the phantom and inspire it can orbit around an object just like point of interest without having to actually fly over the object, record you poi and fly out to create an orbit. just aim and orbit. Spotlight more will let you cinematically track a stationary object while you fly the drone around it in any way you wish and the camera will always point directly to the object. This has been an amazing feature on other dji drones but is completely failing on the mavic 2. once I activate any of these modes it locks in but then does not know what to do.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Regarding this concern I will forward this concern to our developer for them to check what could be the issue and cause for this, then once I have the answer will get back to you. Thanks!
2018-9-11
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-9-11 11:47
Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Regarding this concern I will forward this concern to our developer for them to check what could be the issue and cause for this, then once I have the answer will get back to you. Thanks!

I posted a related issue in a separate thread.  But something else to be aware of regarding ActiveTrack and what the manual says vs what's in the DJI GO4 App.  A slight discrepancy to be corrected.

https://goo.gl/SnLRzy
2018-9-11
Use props
fans8b803c8d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-9-11 12:11
I posted a related issue in a separate thread.  But something else to be aware of regarding ActiveTrack and what the manual says vs what's in the DJI GO4 App.  A slight discrepancy to be corrected.

https://goo.gl/SnLRzy

I also have exactly this problem with Active Track in Spotlight mode. (Mavic 2 Pro has latest firmware and using latest Go 4 app.)

After the target is selected and it does not stay centred in frame while the Mavic 2 travels left or right horizontally.

Interestingly the green selected zone does stay on target if the Mavic is only ascending or descending. It would seem that the yaw function in the camera gimbal is not synchronising with the selected tracking zone when flying horizontally.

I'm fully familiar with how Spotlight mode should function because I've used it frequently on the Inspire 2.

Can DJI please acknowledge if this is a known issue and, if so, when we can expect a fix? I need this feature for an upcoming shoot.

Or perhaps it's an isolated issue affecting just a few machines.

Much appreciate a response, DJI...?
2018-10-1
Use props
BogdanPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4126444 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans8b803c8d Posted at 2018-10-1 06:40
I also have exactly this problem with Active Track in Spotlight mode. (Mavic 2 Pro has latest firmware and using latest Go 4 app.)

After the target is selected and it does not stay centred in frame while the Mavic 2 travels left or right horizontally.

Doesn't look like an isolated issue. I am experiencing the same issue.
2018-10-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

In my opinion you are a bit too close to the target and from my experience Active Track in general does not work well if you only choose a portion of the target and not all of it. I would recommend trying again with framing the entire sculpture and keeping a bit more distance from it (there also is a crash risk when so close and only a portion selected in the frame).
2018-10-1
Use props
BogdanPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4126444 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-10-1 08:31
In my opinion you are a bit too close to the target and from my experience Active Track in general does not work well if you only choose a portion of the target and not all of it. I would recommend trying again with framing the entire sculpture and keeping a bit more distance from it (there also is a crash risk when so close and only a portion selected in the frame).

Unfortunately that wouldn't have helped. I've tried it with a boat yesterday that was farther and same result in spotlight. The subject still shows up as being tracked (sliding to the corner of the screen), but the copter doesn't turn that way.
2018-10-1
Use props
fans8b803c8d
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-10-1 08:31
In my opinion you are a bit too close to the target and from my experience Active Track in general does not work well if you only choose a portion of the target and not all of it. I would recommend trying again with framing the entire sculpture and keeping a bit more distance from it (there also is a crash risk when so close and only a portion selected in the frame).

I'm not sure that distance is the issue with this problem. In my case, described a couple of posts up, I am 50m from a building and have almost the entire side of it selected in the green target window. As I mentioned it tracks the target perfectly in the vertical, ascending / descending, but it cannot hold onto it in horizontal, flight left or right. The target just drifts out of frame.

I have used Spotlight mode tracking on the Inspire 2 day and night and it's usually solid whatever the distance or flight direction. I'm not seeing that at all in horizontal flight with Spotlight on the M2P.
2018-10-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

BogdanPhoto Posted at 2018-10-1 09:22
Unfortunately that wouldn't have helped. I've tried it with a boat yesterday that was farther and same result in spotlight. The subject still shows up as being tracked (sliding to the corner of the screen), but the copter doesn't turn that way.

You might be right. I have never tested all options with solid targets. What I normally do is selecting the target and fly manually around it without using the ruler below the target at all. This most of the time works well for me.
2018-10-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

fans8b803c8d Posted at 2018-10-1 09:23
I'm not sure that distance is the issue with this problem. In my case, described a couple of posts up, I am 50m from a building and have almost the entire side of it selected in the green target window. As I mentioned it tracks the target perfectly in the vertical, ascending / descending, but it cannot hold onto it in horizontal, flight left or right. The target just drifts out of frame.

I have used Spotlight mode tracking on the Inspire 2 day and night and it's usually solid whatever the distance or flight direction. I'm not seeing that at all in horizontal flight with Spotlight on the M2P.

See my response here above.
2018-10-1
Use props
fans8b803c8d
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-10-1 09:59
See my response here above.

I carried out some further Active Track / Spotlight flight tests yesterday on the M2P with mixed results. I suspect the aircraft firmware / Go 4 app might require some optimisation of this mode.

Targeted a 30 storey apartment tower about 50m distant and selected almost the entire facade of the building. Spotlight holds solid on vertical tracking flight, both ascending  and descending, but not on horizontal flight in both directions. The target doesn't stay centred in the frame and starts to drift towards the edge of picture as in the OP's video.

However there was one notable exception, after numerous attempts at the same horizontal flight path L to R and R to L, when the green tracking target frame disappeared and turned into a tiny Google map style location marker and, surprisingly, this held the target centre frame for horizontal flight tracking. I hadn't seen this before.

Other flight paths, targeting a container on the ground about 30m distant and a public swimming pool about 100m distant and approaching with combined horizontal track / dolly moves held on to the target as expected.

Point of interest tracking mode seems to function okay too.

But right now, given the inconsistent performance of the Active Track / Spotlight mode, it must be regarded as not fit for purpose.

DJI Stephen you replied to the OP almost a month ago saying you'd contact the developer and report back. Any news? Is this a known issue? If so, may we know? Should I take the M2P for repair? Or await a firmware update? Is it a Go 4 app issue to be resolved in a forthcoming update?

It would be great if DJI could be more transparent, the ongoing silence or scripted non-commital responses about this and many other issues serve only to frustrate their enthusiastic customers.

2018-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules