Post Production for LOG footage?
1364 7 2015-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
foreseason
lvl.2

United States

Based on the advice I've found here on an other formums I have been shooting manual in LOG mode.  Does anyone have any basic suggestions for how to polish this footage up in post production?  I know there's an art to color correction and what not, but is there a dummies version on what effects and adjustments I can use to turn my LOG footage into a decent finished product?  I have been messing around a bit with some LUTS and getting varied results.  

Also, what format/settings do you use when exporting your finished product?  I'm recording at 4k at 30 fps and these videos will mainly end up on Youtube.  

I'm using premiere pro CC 2014

2015-5-29
Use props
dperlmutter
lvl.2

United States

A simple S curve can go a long way. Simply achieved by using the curves effect. You can even find LUTs online that will bring out colors and contrast.
2015-5-29
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Fore,

You're already ahead of me using Premiere. I hear you and I'm looking for the "idiots" version as well. Deper already responded to your post and I don't have a clue on what he said. I'm obviously way behind this curve. Let me know when you publish the "idiots" guide for a simpleton like me.

Jerry
2015-5-29
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

dperlmutter Posted at 2015-5-30 12:30
A simple S curve can go a long way. Simply achieved by using the curves effect. You can even find LU ...

Dper,

Nothing but respect for your craft but what does that mean for video idiots like me? Where do I find this "S" curve and how can I utilize it for a better video? I think I'm in waters that may be too deep for me.

Jerry
2015-5-29
Use props
dperlmutter
lvl.2

United States

Sorry about that, I come from a production background.
YouTube is your friend. Plenty of tutorials on how to color correct LOG footage.
One of the easiest and quickest ways I find to bring LOG footage to life is by using the effect "RGB curves"

Here is a very BASIC tutorial on that effect.
http://youtu.be/FhR-N2EbkeA
This video just gives you a super simple and quick look at it.

As far as export settings go, Premier Pro has built-in presets. If your main audience is YouTube,  simply select the YouTube 1080P reset when you go to export.
It will automatically adjust the codec, bit rate, and other settings for ideal playback   
2015-5-29
Use props
foreseason
lvl.2

United States

dperlmutter Posted at 2015-5-30 14:07
Sorry about that, I come from a production background.
YouTube is your friend. Plenty of tutorials  ...

Any guesses why when I use those Youtube presets the resulting video is just a black screen??
2015-5-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I made a few tutorials on post processing LOG footage for the Inspire 1, which is basically identical to the P3 so will work perfectly:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-9738-1-1.html
2015-5-30
Use props
foreseason
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-30 16:09
I made a few tutorials on post processing LOG footage for the Inspire 1, which is basically identica ...

Awesome. Thank you much
2015-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules