2027 20 2018-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_vqZe4ZyPoTQr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 469583 ft
Sweden

Hi!

In interested in the Ravpower 27000mah with a 230v AC outlet (Europe version) to charge my mavic air batteries in the field, but I'm concerned about how many times it can actually charge a mavic air battery?
Have anyone tested this or how do I calculate it?

The price for the powerbank equals two mavic air batteris so it has to be able to charge more than two to make it worht it.

Best regards

Link to the powerbank:
https://www.ravpower.com/ravpowe ... C-Outlet-black.html
2018-9-12
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Seems inefficient as the DC battery power is being converted from DC to AC then back to DC by your charger. Might be better to find something like the Mavic Air Car Charger and get a http://a.co/d/fvV89Ic and a cheap power bank.
2018-9-12
Use props
Fhonda stech
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307844 ft

I bought the 110v version hoping to charge my mavic air batteries. I get probably 2 batteries charged up. I've used it more to keep my phone charged then anything.
2018-9-12
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
United States

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 2018-9-12 14:21
Seems inefficient as the DC battery power is being converted from DC to AC then back to DC by your charger. Might be better to find something like the Mavic Air Car Charger and get a http://a.co/d/fvV89Ic and a cheap power bank.

Probably not ideal for that converter. It can only output a maximum of 12V @ 1A which means 12 Watts maximum. The Mavic car charger is a 60W max output you will find that the charger will most likely not function is there isn't enough power available.
2018-9-12
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the same price, I suggest a device specifically made for the job:  https://amzn.to/2MAQsJ6

I made a review of it a while back:  
2018-9-12
Use props
djiuser_vqZe4ZyPoTQr
lvl.1
Sweden

KlooGee Posted at 2018-9-12 19:37
For the same price, I suggest a device specifically made for the job:  https://amzn.to/2MAQsJ6

Sounds great, only if it would ship to my country (Sweden) as all of those made specifically for the job won't...
2018-9-12
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
United States

DJKOR Posted at 2018-9-12 18:53
Probably not ideal for that converter. It can only output a maximum of 12V @ 1A which means 12 Watts maximum. The Mavic car charger is a 60W max output you will find that the charger will most likely not function is there isn't enough power available.

Would the charger ever get anywhere near 60 W though? Those batteries are not exactly high performance, I can't see them being charged at more than 1C which for the Mavic Air batteries is going to be like 2.5 amps.  Voltage is going to be what, 12.6 volts so peak power rating would need to be around 30 W.

That is assuming a lot though as I have not looked into how the chargers work.
2018-9-13
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

The delivered current of 27000 mAh (under ideal conditions, typically less as for car consumption, mobile batteries cycles, etc.) is stated for 5V tension.This stands for 5*27000/1000 = 135 Wh. Expect 15% to 20% less under real conditions. If you charge through the AC adaptor will have also energy losses on the adaptor.I assume you'll be able to charge around 3 fully discharged batteries (3*27,5Wh). But it is not clear this powerbank can deliver the minimum 1.4 Amps your charger needs and I strongly doubt it.In the last almost 5 years since I owned different drones I tried and discarded many powerbanks, all failing with regards to real capacity vs. charging needs...
2018-9-13
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

KlooGee Posted at 2018-9-12 19:37

158 Wh capacity means have to ask previous permit from airlines in order to be able to carry it on airplanes... I'd not risk my money to have to leave it at some check-in airport control point...
2018-9-13
Use props
djiuser_vqZe4ZyPoTQr
lvl.1
Sweden

15matjan Posted at 2018-9-13 04:00
The delivered current of 27000 mAh (under ideal conditions, typically less as for car consumption, mobile batteries cycles, etc.) is stated for 5V tension.This stands for 5*27000/1000 = 135 Wh. Expect 15% to 20% less under real conditions. If you charge through the AC adaptor will have also energy losses on the adaptor.I assume you'll be able to charge around 3 fully discharged batteries (3*27,5Wh). But it is not clear this powerbank can deliver the minimum 1.4 Amps your charger needs and I strongly doubt it.In the last almost 5 years since I owned different drones I tried and discarded many powerbanks, all failing with regards to real capacity vs. charging needs...

I've done a little more research and your math isn't right.
It's 27000 mah over 3.7V which equals 99,9 Wh.

A Mavic air battery is 2375 mah over 11.5V which equals 27 Wh

So under ideal conditions this thing would be able to charge a depleted mavic air battery 99/27 = 3,6 times.

But conditions are never ideal. There are conversion losses and my Mavic batteries are almost never completely empty since usually RTH at around 30%.

Anyway, I think two batteries makes more sense to buy than this charger!
2018-9-13
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Australia

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 2018-9-13 03:45
Would the charger ever get anywhere near 60 W though? Those batteries are not exactly high performance, I can't see them being charged at more than 1C which for the Mavic Air batteries is going to be like 2.5 amps.  Voltage is going to be what, 12.6 volts so peak power rating would need to be around 30 W.

That is assuming a lot though as I have not looked into how the chargers work.

Well the charger is rated to most likely be on the safe side (though the home AC adaptor is rated to that because of the 2 x 10W USB ports on it). Considering though it is nearly a 30Wh battery and it charges in under an hour, I would day we are looking at about 30W of power usage to average it out roughly once we factor in any wasted energy.

The bigger issue is that I have heard car charger won't really work when the car isn't running leading me to think it may cut out around 12V. Once we factor in any voltage drop from the USB to 12V adapter, I would say the adapter may not fire up.
2018-9-13
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. The charge cycle of Mavic Air's battery is 200 cycles. But it will still depends on the usage. You may check this manual also: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... idelines%20v1.0.pdf
2018-9-13
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_vqZe4ZyPoTQr Posted at 2018-9-12 21:52
Sounds great, only if it would ship to my country (Sweden) as all of those made specifically for the job won't...

That's too bad.  Sorry to hear that.  
2018-9-13
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

djiuser_vqZe4ZyPoTQr Posted at 2018-9-13 04:29
I've done a little more research and your math isn't right.
It's 27000 mah over 3.7V which equals 99,9 Wh.

Sorry, you're right, it is rated for 3,7V not 5V as i mistakenly typed and calculated...
The only model I didn't tried yet and I think might work (as the previous dozens I had with no exception had failed) is this one: http://amzn.eu/d/5GYrMdX
If you need a powerbank only for charging Mavic batteries, better buy the batteries only.If you need it for charging also other devices, the higher capacity the better. And if travel by plane, remember to stay below 150 Wh.
2018-9-13
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

15matjan Posted at 2018-9-13 04:09
158 Wh capacity means have to ask previous permit from airlines in order to be able to carry it on airplanes... I'd not risk my money to have to leave it at some check-in airport control point...

I certainly can't speak to all airlines around the world, but all of the major airlines that I've personally investigated (on their websites) allow anything under 160Wh with only restrictions in regards to the number of them that can be carried.  As an example, Iberia shows the following, which is almost exactly the same as all the other major airlines I've researched.  However, I fully admit my research only covers a very small sample of airlines, so may be a bit skewed.

LithiumRestrictions.png

https://www.iberia.com/web/product.do?cntCat=Productos/EQUIAP&cntId=baterias_litio&language=en&country=GB&market=GB&modal=true
2018-9-13
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

KlooGee Posted at 2018-9-13 07:04
I certainly can't speak to all airlines around the world, but all of the major airlines that I've personally investigated (on their websites) allow anything under 160Wh with only restrictions in regards to the number of them that can be carried.  As an example, Iberia shows the following, which is almost exactly the same as all the other major airlines I've researched.  However, I fully admit my research only covers a very small sample of airlines, so may be a bit skewed.

[view_image]

IATA regulations

IATA regulations mandatory for its affiliate airlines (most of ''modern'' companies, including IBERIA too) states one NEEDS AIRLINE APPROVAL for carrying more than 100 Wh batteries...
The information you posted about IBERIA is correct but incomplete, missing this particularily important point...Some companies are not quite specific on that but I would take the risk to depend on their possible interpretations.
2018-9-13
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

It should last about 2 full charges (tried with a similar unit)

2018-9-13
Use props
LAir
New
United States

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 2018-9-12 14:21

Do you know if there's a USB-C version of that cigarette plug adapter? I have the Razer Power bank which outputs via USB-C (USB PD) @ 45W, the USB-A port doesn't output that high however, so I've been looking for a cable that would be able to convert USB-C to 12V DC so I can charge my Mavic Air batteries on the go.
2018-9-13
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
United States

LAir Posted at 2018-9-13 10:37
Do you know if there's a USB-C version of that cigarette plug adapter? I have the Razer Power bank which outputs via USB-C (USB PD) @ 45W, the USB-A port doesn't output that high however, so I've been looking for a cable that would be able to convert USB-C to 12V DC so I can charge my Mavic Air batteries on the go.

I don't  know of of one. You might try searching BangGood or similar sites.
2018-9-13
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Australia

LAir Posted at 2018-9-13 10:37
Do you know if there's a USB-C version of that cigarette plug adapter? I have the Razer Power bank which outputs via USB-C (USB PD) @ 45W, the USB-A port doesn't output that high however, so I've been looking for a cable that would be able to convert USB-C to 12V DC so I can charge my Mavic Air batteries on the go.

I've been keeping an eye out for a similar thing and so far nothing. In the field for work, I used to have an Anker powerbank that did 12V direct output at 2A. I used to use it to power 12V devices like access points when in the field. Now I have a powerbank with USB-C PD output and have been hoping for someone to release a converter for it so I can take advantage of the 30W output but I so far have seen nothing. It would require a little bit of smarts though to allow the powerbank to detect it as a requiring the USB-PD, and I'd be wanting to make sure it was a quality design so as to not burn anything out.
2018-9-13
Use props
fans71d4df0c
lvl.2

I have Ravpower 27000mah and Mavic 2.
I try to charge my Mavic 2 batteries with AC Outlet of Ravpower but it seems Ravpower charges for ten seconds then cuts off electricity and blinking all blue leds. I repeat this process but charging keeps couple of seconds only.

Ravpower AC output can power for any device up to 70W and 4.5A (seems supply adequate charging for Mavic batteries right?)

Have anyone tested this and succeeded with this combination?
2019-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules