Scratches on MP 2 Hassleblad body. Need advice.
4301 24 2018-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansffae6bdb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48189 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi folks, so it's been about a month since I got my Mavic Pro 2 (ordered it on day 1 with DJI case refresh). Once I got it, I loved it aside from a few things I later found out were normal:

Wings rubbing against body when folding = normal.
Other stuff such as bugs will be cleared up with updates.

But the one which is on the back of my mind constantly is the hassleblad camera and the silver frame it's made of, has scratches on the top of it (image included though it doesn't show all of them). I don't know if it's from the camera guard which you put on when you're not using the drone, but I do believe I saw these when I got the drone.

Now this doesn't impact my drone whatsoever, but after paying $1,600+ (drone + DJI care refresh), I'm a bit disappointed. I don't know if this warrants a replacement unit, but I am a bit of a perfectionist in keeping my drones looking good.

If anyone else has this same issue that I do, I'd love to get your thoughts and advice. Should I replace it with a new model for JUST that? Leave it alone? Or perhaps there's something I can do or perhaps get a professional to cover up those scratches?

Would love to hear your thoughts guys...
mp2camera.png
2018-9-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

The photo doesn't give good representation of the scratches on your unit. It is a close up photo and could be that taken from afar the damage may be unnoticeable? If it doesn't bother you too much then if it's only scratches not underlying damage that could have resulted from the box being dropped while it was new in transport then it might not be so bad, if it flies well especially?
2018-9-21
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Is this for real? Replace a $1600 unit because of a cosmetic scratch on an external housing? Pay someone to paint and repair it?

Lick your thumb and try to rub it off. If that doesn't work, never think about it again.

These are tools, as such, they are meant to be used. Would you return a hammer because it was scratched?

Talk about First World problems... sheesh.
2018-9-21
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Send it back because the scratches are just going to get worse from putting the hard plastic Gimbal guard on and taking it off  and will kill the resale value , DJI won't address the problem unless enough people complain about it . And no it isn't a hammer it is a very expensive flying camera. DJI or a 3rd party needs to come out with a Rubber Gimbal cover.
2018-9-21
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1398376 ft

Leave it alone. It’s normal wear and tear. It’s from the gimbal guard. If it bothers you, put a protective film on it like screen protectors. Sheesh..
I have photography cameras that get worn down from use, from attach and detaching lenses, mounting and unmounting tripods etc. They sell covers, wraps, and all sorts of stuff for these things.
2018-9-21
Use props
Texan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637287 ft
United States

If nothing wrong with drone or gimbal then please do not send it back (it will cause more damages/scratches).  Just enjoy what you have for now.
2018-9-21
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve noticed with the new mavic release that this time around there are very few actual issues so everyone has to nit pick over friggin scratches? Just go fly the dam thing.
2018-9-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try to wipe with the soft cloth to see whether it can be removed. If not, please kindly upload some clear pictures and the aircraft SN, we'll forward to the team for double check, thanks so much!
2018-9-21
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-21 18:37
Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try to wipe with the soft cloth to see whether it can be removed. If not, please kindly upload some clear pictures and the aircraft SN, we'll forward to the team for double check, thanks so much!

that is not how scratches work, Susan.
2018-9-21
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Hedsic Posted at 2018-9-21 18:51
that is not how scratches work, Susan.

Don't bother, DJI admin responses are scripted and clueless...
2018-9-21
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don’t want to be picky but I wouldn’t even worry about it, also it’s not “Hassleblad” body. The body is Mavic 2 as it’s the same body for both the pro and the zoom
2018-9-21
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

I'll be honest. Mine doesn't have a single scratch. I also put the gimbal cover on with utmost care. The rear legs do rub in the body but I placed a clear 3M film since day 1.
2018-9-21
Use props
fansffae6bdb
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all for the responses! Susan, I will upload more clear photos shortly.
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like a minor cosmetic scratch - just enjoy flying it
2018-9-23
Use props
fansffae6bdb
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-23 10:15
Looks like a minor cosmetic scratch - just enjoy flying it

Yeah I get that, but is there anyway I can do something to remove/fix those scratches?
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansffae6bdb Posted at 2018-9-23 13:42
Yeah I get that, but is there anyway I can do something to remove/fix those scratches?

I wouldn't want to advise as sometimes trying to remove a scratch can make it worse. You could contact DJI support and see what they say.
2018-9-23
Use props
Sky Donkey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

It suckz ballz that a brand new out the box drone comes scratched up...

Poor QC from DJI...

Your choice is simple... if the drone works and you can live with it ...keep it. Who's going to see it ?

OR send it back and be without a drone for 6 weeks …
2018-9-23
Use props
fansffae6bdb
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sky Donkey Posted at 2018-9-23 13:52
It suckz ballz that a brand new out the box drone comes scratched up...

Poor QC from DJI...

Yeah those are truly the only 2 options.
2018-9-23
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-21 13:06
I’ve noticed with the new mavic release that this time around there are very few actual issues so everyone has to nit pick over friggin scratches? Just go fly the dam thing.

Exactly!
I bought shoes recently. Now I'm finding out the soles are showing wear!
OMG!

2018-9-23
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-24 01:35
Don't try to impose your personal taste to others. Cosmetic damage is important for many of us when buying new tech. The same applies to your car: "Common Captain, it is just a scratch in the bonet, go and drive the damn thing!"

... nah, I don't think so.

The best, most expensive tech will have minor defects if one uses  a magnifying glass to examine, like I said, “just go fly the damn thing”
2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-24 02:49
I don't think you need a magnifying glass for this one. There are many threads already in this forum showing scratches on the gimbals and camera modules. The fact that you are not bothered by it isn't applicable to everyone. Different people have different needs and expectations.

Also, there are quite a few reports of gimbals overloaded. it seems that the poor handling of the drones during transport has something to do with it. A scratched gimbal should be an alarming indicator of how your drone was "treated" during shipping.

The majority of the “gimbal overload” issues are caused by first time quad owner forgetting to remove the gimbal clamp. They either don’t know it has to be removed or they forget to remove it, then complained about the issue on the forums then won’t admit that they made said mistake for fear of looking foolish...... also if one sends a perfectly operating quad back because of “scratch “ they might receive a replacement with issues....
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules