Inspecting inside of smoke stacks
1064 14 2018-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pens Fan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22113 ft

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever done this type of job before and what your recommendations would be as far as using prop gaurds, turning off sensors to get close enough to the stack. Also, it will be dark in there so I will have my Lume cubes on. The stacks are 275 feet high, outside will be fine but I'm waiting to hear what the internal diameter is of the stack. Also, problems with communication from RC to Drone.....Your thoughts?

2018-9-22
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Outside not a problem - but not inside!
2018-9-22
Use props
Pens Fan
lvl.2

care to elaborate?
2018-9-22
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

I think your gonna lose signal as soon as you go in... Any metal or big objects that obstructs the signal will cause problems... I havent personally tried it though so I dont know. Let us know how it goes!
2018-9-22
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It would be a surprise if the signal wasn't lost after going in.
2018-9-22
Use props
Pens Fan
lvl.2

I do too, not sure if since the top is open, and i'm on a different frequency, and I have those extenders on.....It's a wait and see type thing but what if I get two hundred feet up and if falls!! I kind of want to have a canvas tarp to catch it
2018-9-22
Use props
Alvaro L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8832 ft
Spain

Don't do it without propeller guards. Maybe GPS is lost but you should have a way to have VLOS from the inside.
2018-9-23
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Magnetic effect of all the reo bars my upset things ??
2018-9-23
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1469341 ft
  • >>>

There was a post on here a long time ago where a guy was flying inside an old smoke stack. I have had a search without luck but some of the other 'oldies' may recall it.
2018-9-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Pens Fan Posted at 2018-9-22 09:54
I do too, not sure if since the top is open, and i'm on a different frequency, and I have those extenders on.....It's a wait and see type thing but what if I get two hundred feet up and if falls!! I kind of want to have a canvas tarp to catch it

You won't get signal to the drone inside the stack if you are outside.
You need a line of sight between the controller and Phantom, signal won't get to it through the top of the stack, extenders or not.
The Phantom won't get GPS signal inside the stack.
In atti mode you can't go higher than 100 feet.

Obstacle avoidance won't work in the dark or without GPS.
How close will the camera focus?
How will the exposure and light pattern be with your lights?
What's the stack made of?  Brickwork or reinforced concrete?

How many other issues do you want to deal with?
2018-9-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

As far as the signal loss problem, it might be possible with a couple P2s or P3Ss flying at once.  Use one over the top of the smoke stack to relay the signals.   

http://redbirdrf.com/

But that doesn't solve the ATTI problem combined with the weird vertical wind tunnel thing.  Haha.  You'd definitely want prop guards for this deal.  

How about you dangle a camera on a cord and lower that into the smoke stack?  

Good luck

Edit:  Start two P3S Phantoms, one with the lume cubes.  Use the tech in the link above to control the second Phantom motors, but keep them off for now.  Dangle the second Phantom from the first Phantom on a long cord with prop guards.  Hover the higher one over the stack while dangling the lower one.  Lower the lower one down into the stack by lowering the higher Phantom.  Start the motors on the lower Phantom but keep it in ATTI.  Gently move left stick for the lower one to rotate as needed to inspect the stack while within the stack.  :-D  

Edit x2:  Tether the second phantom with four cords - one attached to each wing of each AC.  Lower into stack and control height and rotation with upper Phantom.  Use tech above to get live vew.  

Good luck  

2018-9-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. This is really dangerous for the aircraft since it is dark and pretty sure there will be interference since its indoor shoot not to mention the sensors are off. Fly safe always. Thank you.
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many variable that would make going inside a bad idea.
2018-9-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Why crash a drone, find a rope and flashlight. Haha

Get down with your bad self. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-9-23
Use props
Aussierob78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740476 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What about using one of the fishing line kits, and lowering something like a GoPro with a lume cube attached?
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules