Custom live broadcadt won't start while using Optus network in Australia
527 4 2018-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brett Walsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6518511 ft
  • >>>

Since early July 2018, Australians can no longer live broadcast to Periscope via the Custom RTMP section if using Optus as their carrier.
The live broadcast icon never turns blue therefore never actually goes live.
This used to work fine prior to July 2018.

Doesn't matter what device is used either.
iPhone or Samsung, drone or Osmo Mobile 2.

Works fine on the other 2 main Australian carriers, Telstra & Vodafone.

I have made numerous calls to Optus about this issue, but I seem to be getting nowhere with them.

Please DJI, I am asking you to assist in this matter.

P.S. Can an Admin please delete my accidental duplicate post under "Phantom - Videos & Photos".
2018-9-23
Use props
Dex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814767 ft
Australia

Optus is almost certainly blocking the outbound RTMP port. Nothing DJI can do. I'd suggest changing carrier. If you're using a dedicated tablet with a SIM card slot I'd get a $0.99 32GB Kogan Mobile SIM each month (that's what I do). Good luck!
2018-9-23
Use props
Brett Walsh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Dex Posted at 2018-9-23 23:45
Optus is almost certainly blocking the outbound RTMP port. Nothing DJI can do. I'd suggest changing carrier. If you're using a dedicated tablet with a SIM card slot I'd get a $0.99 32GB Kogan Mobile SIM each month (that's what I do). Good luck!

I did the same & purchased a $0.99 sim 32Gb from Kogan to use specifically to get around this issue with Optus & their "more than likely" blocked outgoing RTMP port, but that ran out last month. Thought you could only buy 1 '"starter sim" per new customer. How do you get one every month? I am very interested to do the same if possible. Can you please elaborate?
2018-9-24
Use props
Dex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814767 ft
Australia

Brett Walsh Posted at 2018-9-24 05:52
I did the same & purchased a $0.99 sim 32Gb from Kogan to use specifically to get around this issue with Optus & their "more than likely" blocked outgoing RTMP port, but that ran out last month. Thought you could only buy 1 '"starter sim" per new customer. How do you get one every month? I am very interested to do the same if possible. Can you please elaborate?

Sure.

Their definition of a "new customer" is just getting a new phone number.

I.e. buy a new sim each month and activate it, but choose "New number" instead of porting a number over. Disable auto renewal and voila.

Little side note - Vodafone can actually roam onto the Optus network in rural areas if you enable roaming (they have a tower sharing scheme). This should increase your coverage drastically in rural areas. Although I'm not sure if your original issue will return when roaming.
2018-9-24
Use props
Brett Walsh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Dex Posted at 2018-9-24 16:43
Sure.

Their definition of a "new customer" is just getting a new phone number.

Thanks for the info. You're a champ!
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules