Mavic Air location broadcast?
646 13 2018-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
biob_mav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53612 ft
United Kingdom

Ive noticed in the go 4 app that there is a section that allows the drone to transmit its location and ID. How does it work?
DJI. Admins please answer this one. Every question I’ve asked so far, I haven’t received an answer to...just get told we’ll pass your query to our engineers.
2018-9-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

it is used for locating and identifying your aircraft.. basically a beacon.  

you can enter your info and the police or whatever if they have proper equipment can see it flying around and identify it.. sorta pointless at the moment unless you want to have a target on your back.

maybe one day in the future when automated unmanned aircraft tracking and authorization systems happen and go into effect these beacons will be more useful for that. but right now kind of pointless and if your local police have the equipment it would just paint a big target on your back..
2018-9-23
Use props
biob_mav
lvl.2
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-23 12:33
it is used for locating and identifying your aircraft.. basically a beacon.  

you can enter your info and the police or whatever if they have proper equipment can see it flying around and identify it.. sorta pointless at the moment unless you want to have a target on your back.

Thank you for the reply.
Was just wondering how it transmitted e.g. WiFi or some other method. Might be useful to locate drone should something go wrong e.g. fly away.
I’m a curious soul  and like to know how things work.
2018-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

It is called Aeroscope and can only be detected by special devices: https://www.dji.com/aeroscope
Here some information on how it works and who can use it for tracking drones (not us): https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... -aeroscope-solution
2018-9-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Have a read of this:-

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... ns-for-drone-pilots
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-23 13:02
Have a read of this:-

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-introduces-voluntary-flight-identification-options-for-drone-pilots

Is this similar to what the government is looking to make mandatory in the latest UK drone consultation?
2018-9-23
Use props
biob_mav
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So that’s way the FCC documents indicated via the tests,that the Mavic Air can transmit non WiFi on the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz
2018-9-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-9-23 13:11
Is this similar to what the government is looking to make mandatory in the latest UK drone consultation?

Funny you mention that, it sounds very familiar. I suspect it will turn on automatically perhaps in restricted airspaces (where we can still fly to drone code rules).
2018-9-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-23 13:00
It is called Aeroscope and can only be detected by special devices: https://www.dji.com/aeroscope
Here some information on how it works and who can use it for tracking drones (not us): https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/understanding-dji-aeroscope-solution

You beat me to the reply
2018-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-23 13:34
You beat me to the reply

I sincerely apologise. Next time I'll leave it for your turn, promised! ;-)
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-23 13:32
Funny you mention that, it sounds very familiar. I suspect it will turn on automatically perhaps in restricted airspaces (where we can still fly to drone code rules).

I've read that we may need to get our flights pre-approved too - confusion if this is for commercial ops or in more restricted areas. I guess we'll see. You'd think that the government would have more important things to work on at the moment than our taking a photo of a tree lol
2018-9-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

biob_mav Posted at 2018-9-23 12:41
Thank you for the reply.
Was just wondering how it transmitted e.g. WiFi or some other method. Might be useful to locate drone should something go wrong e.g. fly away.
I’m a curious soul  and like to know how things work.

im not sure the method used for connecting and tracking,

i imagine wifi + occusync because it seems like these are the two things DJI is consolidating aircraft into..  occusync and Wifi.

as for tracking your drone if it flies away or gets lost, currently not likely use case.. its mostly being used for tracking your aircraft  in real time and idea initially at least is to put them in airports and military bases so when it detects an aircraft it can be traced back to the owner and landed/recovered or send back to homepoint with a warning..however dji started releasing these to law enforcement as well and other "special interest groups"
2018-9-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-9-23 13:38
I've read that we may need to get our flights pre-approved too - confusion if this is for commercial ops or in more restricted areas. I guess we'll see. You'd think that the government would have more important things to work on at the moment than our taking a photo of a tree lol

"I've read that we may need to get our flights pre-approved too"

Once again I think (purely my opinion) that this will all be done automatically through an App', and if I remember correctly this sort of option is already available in 'Drone Assist' whereby you can report 'this is where I'm flying' and any other interested party including fellow drone users will have sight of this info', so you will know if anybody else is flying close by etc. I believe these are the 'flight reports' referred to in Drone Assist.
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-23 14:01
"I've read that we may need to get our flights pre-approved too"

Once again I think (purely my opinion) that this will all be done automatically through an App', and if I remember correctly this sort of option is already available in 'Drone Assist' whereby you can report 'this is where I'm flying' and any other interested party including fellow drone users will have sight of this info', so you will know if anybody else is flying close by etc. I believe these are the 'flight reports' referred to in Drone Assist.

Yeah, I've seen that option in drone Assist (and obviously the GO app). I think they are looking to 'improve' on this feature for the authorities. That said, as long as we fly safely and legally there should be no issues but what I'm a little uncomfortable with is that authority may bypass the police to local council operatives patrolling fields etc - many of whom are subcontracted and targeted on how many fines they impose. I really hope it does not lead to that - and as things stand I don't think there is a big enough resource to carry those proposals but it was in the consultation...
2018-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules