Ground station and ipad
2001 16 2018-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
befobe
lvl.1

hello,
I have a mavic pro platinium, with a samsung S6, and I really envoy it.
I just bought a second hand ipad mini 2 to increase the screen size; dji go 4 works perfectly, so it is great... I knew also that by going to apple, I could use Ground Station application (not available on Android), in order to plan flights "at home".
-> I installed "ground station" (free app on applestore).
But I really don't understand how to use it... I look for manuals, but only find "ground station pro" manuals, which seems totally different.
When starting, the app is searching a "controller" ... what is it? should I connect in USB the Mavic radio ? (does not work...)

I don't understand the use of a "controller", since the only interest for me is to create waypoints (exactly like I did on my previous bebop parrot app...). So I'm expecting to click with my fingers on a map, and link the waypoints, and then "download" this flight to the mavic and start the sequence!... Is it the right soft to do that? what is missing in my config?...
If you have advices, I would appreciate...
Thanks, have good flights!

Benoit

2018-9-26
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I was intrigued by your post... I am an android user but I have an 6th Gen iPad for video editing. I looked up the GS Pro and Mavic didnt show up on it's compatibility list

https://www.dji.com/ground-station-pro

Have you been able to connect it?
2018-9-26
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Benoit.
I have used the DJI GSP with some success. It worked for me using the iPad mini 4
Not sure if you have seen any videos on it? This one helped me get a handle on it..

2018-9-26
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>

Ipads must have GPS enabled, right?
2018-9-26
Use props
befobe
lvl.1
France

Ok, maybe there is a confusion: I downloaded GS on the applestore, not GSP.
This is according to me 2 different softs.
I keep on digging...
Benoît
2018-9-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-9-26 13:37
Benoit.
I have used the DJI GSP with some success. It worked for me using the iPad mini 4
Not sure if you have seen any videos on it? This one helped me get a handle on it..

Great vid to share   
2018-9-26
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

befobe Posted at 2018-9-26 21:21
Ok, maybe there is a confusion: I downloaded GS on the applestore, not GSP.
This is according to me 2 different softs.
I keep on digging...

befobe.
I was under the impression that DJI discontinued the Ground Station PC.
When I went to the Apple store are I could fine was the new DJI Ground Station Pro.

How long ago did you download the GS application?
I found this video.
2018-9-27
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-9-26 13:56
Ipads must have GPS enabled, right?

When I used the GSP I was on wi-fi at home and loaded the waypoints in . Then I went to the location and flew the MP. My iPad has no GPS and the MP flew the waypoints. I have only used GSP that one time and I am not sure if it used the GPS of the MP to fly the waypoints.
Hopefully some one has the answer.
2018-9-27
Use props
befobe
lvl.1
France

Thank you at first, for your posts.
Maybe it is specific to France, but the only dji app available on the applestore for an ipad mini (2 or 4, I tested both) is "Ground Station". There is no "Ground station pro" or "ground station PC", or anything else.
There is only "Ground Station". That's what I downloaded (50 Mo, so it was quick).
And I can't go further, because the app is searching to connect a "controller", and I don't understand what is a controller, and even less, what should I connect, and how.... Should I be connected in usb to the mavic radio? Or should I buy an extra hardware from dji to use this GS app?...

These are my questions for now...
But guys, don't spend too much time to answer...
Have nice flights, THAT is important !
Benoît

2018-9-27
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

befobe Posted at 2018-9-27 09:05
Thank you at first, for your posts.
Maybe it is specific to France, but the only dji app available on the applestore for an ipad mini (2 or 4, I tested both) is "Ground Station". There is no "Ground station pro" or "ground station PC", or anything else.
There is only "Ground Station". That's what I downloaded (50 Mo, so it was quick).

Is this link directing you to GS Pro in France?
2018-9-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Kindly check the video below for better understanding. Thank you.

2018-9-27
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
  • >>>

B1houdini Posted at 2018-9-27 07:24
When I used the GSP I was on wi-fi at home and loaded the waypoints in . Then I went to the location and flew the MP. My iPad has no GPS and the MP flew the waypoints. I have only used GSP that one time and I am not sure if it used the GPS of the MP to fly the waypoints.
Hopefully some one has the answer.

I think you might have answered my question.  I thought I saw something somewhere that we could buy an Ipad with GPS and one without.  So what you are saying is without GPS, it will work.  Ipad with GPS is cheaper.
2018-9-27
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-9-27 13:03
I think you might have answered my question.  I thought I saw something somewhere that we could buy an Ipad with GPS and one without.  So what you are saying is without GPS, it will work.  Ipad with GPS is cheaper.

Lonesome Crow
All I can say is what I remembered at the time.
I still have the GSP waypoints from that day saved  and as I recall I loaded the waypoints at home and later that week flew at the location with the MP using GSP and my iPad has no GPS. I thought that it used the GPS of the MP to fly the waypoints. I could be wrong. Best to research it more.

Yes it was cheaper getting the mini4 with wi-fi only and not with GPS capabilities. If I had to do it again I would of got it with GPS since to use it you don't need to purchase a Data package. Didn't know that at the time.
Hope that answered your question?

John
2018-9-27
Use props
befobe
lvl.1
France

To Keule: yes! Your link gives me GS-Pro! I test today, thanks!
2018-9-27
Use props
befobe
lvl.1
France

To John and Dji Gamora: not exactly, but I thank you anyway... Still not explained: what is really the "GS" app and what this app is waiting for when trying to connect to a "controller". I think you don't talk about the same app as mine, so it is normal that my questions seem strange to you... and that you just cannot answer to them...

Thanks to Keule, I will be able to test "GS Pro" today. I will see what happen...
2018-9-27
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
  • >>>

B1houdini Posted at 2018-9-27 15:02
Lonesome Crow
All I can say is what I remembered at the time.
I still have the GSP waypoints from that day saved  and as I recall I loaded the waypoints at home and later that week flew at the location with the MP using GSP and my iPad has no GPS. I thought that it used the GPS of the MP to fly the waypoints. I could be wrong. Best to research it more.

Yes, now that does make sense.  I just never understood why my tablet/phone required GPS when all along the MP has its own GPS.  Makes sense that you can use the program to make way-points, upload to the the MP, and go fly.
2018-9-29
Use props
Jimbob_McCoi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39488 ft
Germany

I had used GS Pro and the Mavic Pro a will ago - BUT - the MP flys a complete differend way then the waypoints are programmed. For me GS Pro is unsave and i changed to Litchi.
2018-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules