Temperature related event
1072 9 2015-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tustep
lvl.2

United States

For those interested I wish to share this event from today.

Inspire One, RC updated to latest’s Firmware including all batteries.

No previous events 20+ flights.

First flight on TB47 (approx 12 mins) no problem.  

Second flight (TB47) full charge immediately after first flight.  

Approx 6 mins in and while video recording got the dreaded connection to RC lost message and  black screen on iPad2 Air. Bird was drifting but not erratic. Prior to getting the lost connection message I observed unusual  screen flicker.

Switched out of GPS and had full LOS control.  iPad2 Air screen still black and then flashed red print indicating iPad was shutting down because the temp was to high. This message appeared for only a matter of seconds and I could have easily missed it had I been distracted.

No problem bringing the bird home. iPad was/is fully functional after landing.

Outside air temp 100-102 degrees sunny no wind.

I suspect the iPad is the source of the event.
2015-5-31
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just had my first "iPad temperature too high" event yesterday.  Startled me as I had just taken off.  This totally shuts down the iPad!  I immediately landed my P3- fortunately this problem does not affect the RC - just the iPad.

According to the Apple.com web site, the maximum operating temperature of the iPad Air 2 is 95F.  The temperature here in south Texas yesterday was only 88F.  However, in bright sunlight, the flat screen face of the iPad will absorb radiant energy and get much hotter than 95F in just a few minutes.  The fix for me - after letting the iPad cool down inside the house - was to use a third-party sunshade sun hood to keep direct sunlight off the screen.  These are available from a number of vendors on EBay for the iPhone, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 2/3.  Using the sunshade sun hood, I was able to make two more flights in same bright sun with no more "high-temperature" iPad events.  This high temperature limitation does look like it could be a problem trying to use an iPad tablet in hot summer weather with outdoor temps above 95F. I wonder if Android devices have a higher maximum operating temperature than 95F?
2015-5-31
Use props
JCD
lvl.1

United States

This happened to me several weeks ago in Palm Springs California. Temperature was about 102 degrees.
2015-5-31
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

It is NOT supposed to fall out of GPS mode...
2015-5-31
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Holy Mac dude...awesome work bringing her down safely!
2015-5-31
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

JCD Posted at 2015-6-1 07:17
This happened to me several weeks ago in Palm Springs California. Temperature was about 102 degrees. ...

Interesting...  That's two for two...  Here in Australia, it's around 100 a lot...  Will be interesting to see how it goes...
2015-5-31
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

this happened to me 15 days ago and it was clearly ipad's overheating problem. scary!!!! i remember i put the remote with the ipad for 10 - 15 minutes on a soccer terrain in order to make imu calibration . . . . the terrain was over heated because of this black rubber material underneath . . . . . it took another 10 minutes to cool down and restart. from that moment on, overheating, is something that i keep in mind. . . . . especially during the summer.     
2015-5-31
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78061552 ft
United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-6-1 13:26
It is NOT supposed to fall out of GPS mode...

I read that to mean that he manually switched out of GPS mode, but I could be wrong....
2015-6-1
Use props
Scotflieger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
United Kingdom

Did you have 3G or wireless active as these are a great source of heat especially if there is no signal. I always switch to Airplane to reduce any interference on 2.4GHz. All you need to do is cache the map before going out.
2015-6-1
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Scary problem, because i use fly 2kms away from me...
2015-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules