6534 17 2018-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
France

I just watched this video :

Quite funny to watch, but I also try to learn lessons from this type of case, in the event a same situation would happen for me. And I was wondering if there is an easy way to know the GPS coordinates of the place where the drone (in my case a Mavic 2 Pro) auto landed, crashed in a tree, or whatever stopped it from flying. As I usually travel with a Garmin GPS device, it would be convenient to input the coordinates, to be guided to the last known location of the drone.
2018-10-3
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Wow, what an event.....
2018-10-3
Use props
kenk
lvl.3

You can upload the dat files from your controller at MavicPilots where there are folks that will analyse it for you and may be able to give you exact coordinates for the landing site.
Link: https://mavicpilots.com/
2018-10-3
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

kenk Posted at 2018-10-3 06:56
You can upload the dat files from your controller at MavicPilots where there are folks that will analyse it for you and may be able to give you exact coordinates for the landing site.
Link: https://mavicpilots.com/

I was more thinking of a way to get the information immediately, while still being on the site...
2018-10-3
Use props
kenk
lvl.3

You could upload the dat files to your own PC on site and get the info yourself. You would have to learn how to interpret the data. I'm not aware of any tutorials for that.
2018-10-3
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

So there is no way to see it from the app? Definitely a feature to add!
2018-10-3
Use props
kenk
lvl.3

BTW
The dat files contain info on ALL aspects of your flight including commands recieved, action taken, conditions of craft and battery, flight characteristics,  etc.
2018-10-3
Use props
kenk
lvl.3

"So there is no way to see it from the app?"
Nope. The app is bloated enough as it is.
However, it might be a great project for DJI or some enthusiast to write an app to selectively analyse the data and present the requested info in summary form.
2018-10-3
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

kenk Posted at 2018-10-3 07:31
"So there is no way to see it from the app?"
Nope. The app is bloated enough as it is.
However, it might be a great project for DJI or some enthusiast to write an app to selectively analyse the data and present the requested info in summary form.

Except that such an app could never work on iOS, because of the sandbox model, meaning that an app can never access data from another app, except if the source app (here DJI GO) has implemented a way to send its data, which is not the case here...
2018-10-3
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Glad to see you recovered  your drone. I thought it was going for a swim at first.
I have seen videos where they added a GPS transmitter to the drone and using an app on the phone are able to get the coordinates of the drone up to 2 miles.
The one that stands out is Trackimo

2018-10-3
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

B1houdini Posted at 2018-10-3 08:34
Glad to see you recovered  your drone. I thought it was going for a swim at first.
I have seen videos where they added a GPS transmitter to the drone and using an app on the phone are able to get the coordinates of the drone up to 2 miles.
The one that stands out is Trackimo

It was not me on this video ! I just put it as an example.
Yes, I know about some GPS trackers, that are able to send back their coordinates via a SMS.
But in the Mavic case, all the information needed is sent back to the app, it would be so easy to have a menu showing the last known coordinates...
2018-10-3
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

pjollain Posted at 2018-10-3 10:00
It was not me on this video ! I just put it as an example.
Yes, I know about some GPS trackers, that are able to send back their coordinates via a SMS.
But in the Mavic case, all the information needed is sent back to the app, it would be so easy to have a menu showing the last known coordinates...

Sorry I got you mixed up with the pilot on the video.
Should of read all of your post before replying.
Thanks for correcting an old Man
2018-10-3
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

pjollain Posted at 2018-10-3 07:16
So there is no way to see it from the app? Definitely a feature to add!

You won't be given coordinates (I think) but DJI Go4 has the "Find My Drone" feature and it works pretty well.
I used it recently when I ran out of gas and had to do an off-field landing ;-)

Your are shown a map with your position and the drone's position and a line between these two points.
You just follow the line, no need for external GPS device.
It also has the option to make the drone beep very loud but that didn't work in my case.

Obviously this feature requires the drone is powered on.
2018-10-3
Use props
Henrijs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4517064 ft
United States

U can see last coordinates in your GO4 APP.

20181004_004636.png
2018-10-3
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>

Henrijs Posted at 2018-10-3 13:49

I recently lost my Mavic Pro.

I went to the "Find My Done" GPS location (I was able to reconnect after having lost total connection).

And...I've physically searched for weeks the entire location and adjacent surroundings and as yet, have NOT been able to located the craft!

It is located in a off the road non-traffic open field area with tall grass, so I don't feel its been picked up by someone.

It was out of warranty so DJI would do absolutely nothing.  

I downloaded the flight logs and there was a battery error message showed up during the flight.

2018-10-3
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

Eric13 Posted at 2018-10-3 12:31
You won't be given coordinates (I think) but DJI Go4 has the "Find My Drone" feature and it works pretty well.
I used it recently when I ran out of gas and had to do an off-field landing ;-)

Interesting feature, I will check how it works. Thanks.
2018-10-4
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

Henrijs Posted at 2018-10-3 13:49

Indeed, if you play back your flight, the GPS coordinates are displayed! Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for!
2018-10-4
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

geoffz Posted at 2018-10-3 17:16
I recently lost my Mavic Pro.

I went to the "Find My Done" GPS location (I was able to reconnect after having lost total connection).

Sorry to read what happened. I can imagine that, depending on the circumstances, it can be very difficult to locate your drone. I am thinking of getting a skin with a very bright colour, it may perhaps help.
2018-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules