12Next >
2493 50 2018-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

Looking to get a strobe for my Phantom 4 pro v2 and have seen some of the other posts and options. but I recently ran across this new one that is supposed to be pretty good. It is the Fly High USA ACS - 30 Anti Collision Strobe.

Wanted to know does anyone have experience with this or have bought and used it and if so what did you think? Secondly, I wanted to know where you would mount it? I would assume that the best spot is right on the top, just on top of the DJI logo or close to avoid being in the way of the rotors. My concern is, would that interfere with the GPS signal which if just under that part of the hull (or so I have heard)?

Thoughts, opinions...preferably experienced and educated .   
2018-10-4
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Anything on the top will definitely interfere with gps reception.
2018-10-4
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure where you'd mount those on a Phantom. Lights could be mounted on the legs using mounts like these:

2018-10-4
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

If mounted on top, how would it be visible  by an observer anywhere below it?
2018-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Buy yourself a set of Lume  Cubes...

http://www.lumecube.com/164.html

They really are the best choice for adding LED lights to your drone.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-4
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-10-4 06:15
I'm not sure where you'd mount those on a Phantom. Lights could be mounted on the legs using mounts like these:

[view_image]

Where do you find those mounts. The lights are pretty easy to find. I couldn't find those mounts anywhere. Thanks for your help.
2018-10-4
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-10-4 06:26
If mounted on top, how would it be visible  by an observer anywhere below it?

I am only interested in compliance with FAA 107 rules...the lights are primarily for other planes...not me or the observer.
2018-10-4
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 2018-10-4 11:49
I am only interested in compliance with FAA 107 rules...the lights are primarily for other planes...not me or the observer.

As Kenny says,   "Anti Collision Lighting" is for Manned aircraft visual.......in all likelihood, the manned aircraft would be above the drone in question.

It is not nearly as startling to the Pilot seeing flashing lights off in the distance, as it would be all of a sudden seeing a drone 100 yards out.......

Randy
2018-10-4
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 2018-10-4 11:48
Where do you find those mounts. The lights are pretty easy to find. I couldn't find those mounts anywhere. Thanks for your help.

Which lights are you going to buy?
2018-10-4
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

I am starting to lean toward getting the kree/cree lights...small bright, inexpensive and pretty portable
2018-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KennyB Posted at 2018-10-4 16:40
I am starting to lean toward getting the kree/cree lights...small bright, inexpensive and pretty portable

Yes, no please don’t bother looking at Lume Cubes.

They aren’t cheap. Not for you.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Strobon Cree are the ones to look for
2018-10-4
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

KennyB Posted at 2018-10-4 11:49
I am only interested in compliance with FAA 107 rules...the lights are primarily for other planes...not me or the observer.

I see your point, bu†... An "observer" is anybody, including the pilot of a manned aircraft, not just the drone pilot or his buddy, and can you absolutely rule out the possibility of a manned aircraft being at a lower altitude than your drone? Also, your drone should  be visible by other drone pilots too,-who would be -I guess- on the ground...
2018-10-5
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 2018-10-4 16:40

If you're referring to STROBON Cree lights (a great choice!), then click the image I linked above to find mounts for the P4.
2018-10-5
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-4 18:33
Yes, no please don’t bother looking at Lume Cubes.

They aren’t cheap. Not for you.

I have seen/looked at the Lume Cubes. To me they are big and bulky looking and cost more...I think lume cubes would be great if I was trying to light the ground or something I was filming...for the purpose of the daylight waver they just need to be bright and smaller/cheaper is better both for aerodynamics as well as (if they fall off)...cheaper to replace.
2018-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KennyB Posted at 2018-10-5 12:43
I have seen/looked at the Lume Cubes. To me they are big and bulky looking and cost more...I think lume cubes would be great if I was trying to light the ground or something I was filming...for the purpose of the daylight waver they just need to be bright and smaller/cheaper is better both for aerodynamics as well as (if they fall off)...cheaper to replace.

Like I said, they probably aren’t for your best interest.

The 3D printed mounts are very secure, and even though the Lume Cubes are hefty in weight, there is a whole lot packed into a small case.

My Phantom 3 Pro’, carries them, like a champ.
No noticeable difference in flight characteristics, and battery drain is minimal.

But you want inexpensive, one dimensional LED’s.

Do a search on yahoo for drone lights. There are dozens of them today...

Lume Cubes are the Rolls Royce of drone LED lights. Not for everyone.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-5
Use props
_808_
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-5 14:24
Lume Cubes are the Rolls Royce of drone LED lights. Not for everyone. ... They aren’t cheap. Not for you.

Price has nothing to do with the comparison, it's all about using the right tool for the job.

Lume Cubes are meant for lighting the ground and FPV navigation - they are *not* FAA compliant anti-collision strobes. The former is used as a searchlight and for photos & video, the latter is to prevent collisions with other aircraft and can also be used as navigation/position lights (red on left, green on right).

They serve completely different purposes and Lume Cubes (or anything similar) are in no way a substitute for FAA compliant anti-collision strobes (which must be visible for 3 miles) under any circumstances.

Whether using Lume Cubes (et al) or not, if you're flying at night, you need to be running anti-collision strobes.

For those concerned about visibility from below, if you don't want to use navigation/position strobes on the sides (which are visible from the ground), simply mount another white strobe underneath your drone.

2018-10-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

_808_ Posted at 2018-10-28 21:29
Price has nothing to do with the comparison, it's all about using the right tool for the job.

Lume Cubes are meant for lighting the ground and FPV navigation - they are *not* FAA compliant anti-collision strobes. The former is used as a searchlight and for photos & video, the latter is to prevent collisions with other aircraft and can also be used as navigation/position lights (red on left, green on right).

I have Lume Cube Light House magnetic filter holders, and have Red, Green, Blue and Yellow gels.
https://lumecube.com/collections ... y-color-flters-pack

They can be pointed in any direction, and have plenty of brightnesss to be seen a very long ways away,
I like the Bluetooth app with all the various parameters of choices in functions, that gives them the edge over most other LED packages made for drones.
But these can also be used for so much more in photography uses. I guess that’s why I love mine so much.
I have a mini tripod to hold mine too, when they’re not in the flight kit.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-28
Use props
_808_
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-28 22:15
...plenty of brightnesss to be seen a very long ways away

How many miles away are your Lume Cubes visible from above?
2018-10-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

_808_ Posted at 2018-10-28 21:29
...Whether using Lume Cubes (et al) or not, if you're flying at night, you need to be running anti-collision strobes.

You must be referring to a 107 flight.  Where are you getting this info?  I'm aware of the 3 mile rule, but I've never heard that it had to be an "anti-collision strobe."  Do you have a link or a reference?  

For the record, as of right now in the USA, hobbyists don't need anti-collision strobes or even Lume cubes to fly at night.    The lamps on the AC are fine, provided the AC is flown close enough to the pilot.*  It's moot though since this will almost certainly and dramatically change any day now when the new rules are implemented...

*source:  AMA handbook

To the OP - are you aware of the Firehouse strobe?  

https://www.amazon.com/Firehouse ... opter/dp/B073PMGLXR

2018-10-30
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

[url=forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&pid=1627575&ptid=168432] To the OP - are you aware of the Firehouse strobe?  

when flying at night would these lights interfere with the front or the back vision sensors ?
I see lots of times during the day when I fly towards the sun the sensors activate upon the light glare...
Just wondering, or simply execute the flight with the sensors off.
2018-10-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I'm not aware of a problem there but I don't have a P4.  I suggest you go to www.phantomhelp.com, become a member, and start a thread there and ask.  
2018-10-30
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Andrew245 Posted at 2018-10-30 07:02
when flying at night would these lights interfere with the front or the back vision sensors ?
I see lots of times during the day when I fly towards the sun the sensors activate upon the light glare...
Just wondering, or simply execute the flight with the sensors off.

The Flytron and Firehouse strobe lights will not trigger the sensors on the front/back of the aircraft.
2018-10-30
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

msinger Posted at 2018-10-30 07:29
The Flytron and Firehouse strobe lights will not trigger the sensors on the front/back of the aircraft.

right on ! thanks !
2018-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

_808_ Posted at 2018-10-29 22:57
How many miles away are your Lume Cubes visible from above?

The ISS. I think? HaHaha

Let me call the folks at the Cape....

RedHotPoker
2018-10-30
Use props
_808_
lvl.2

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-30 02:30
You must be referring to a 107 flight.  

Mark, please re-read the OP's comments - particularly post #7.
2018-10-30
Use props
_808_
lvl.2

United States

You apparently missed the sarcasm (along with the entire point of this thread).

For those, such as the OP, that take others' lives seriously and are looking for FAA compliant solutions, Lume Cubes (or anything similar) are not it. Especially when directed, as intended, towards the ground and/or forward, they will not be visible from any appreciable distance by pilots of manned aircraft. Same goes for the built-in lights Mark recommends relying on above.
2018-10-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

_808_ Posted at 2018-10-30 12:04
For those, such as the OP, that take others' lives seriously and are looking for FAA compliant solutions, Lume Cubes (or anything similar) are not it. Especially when directed, as intended, towards the ground and/or forward, they will not be visible from any appreciable distance by pilots of manned aircraft. Same goes for the built-in lights Mark recommends relying on above.

So today you're saying the strobe requirement is actually just your opinion.  

That's a little different than what you said yesterday implying it's a federal requirement.  

Thanks for clearing that up.  
2018-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

_808_ Posted at 2018-10-30 12:04
You apparently missed the sarcasm (along with the entire point of this thread).

The only thing missing is your first hand experience with Lume Cubes. You have no idea just how very powerful or bright these things actually are. I can see them for several miles blinking brightly in the glaring sunny sky. They can be diected, up down, forward backwards, where ever you like them to face, other than side wise. Coloured filters can be added, if you wish, or left clear, if that’s your “preference”.

Maybe some of you need to find safer places to ascend to the near heavens.
Instead of fretting and griping about flight rules and silly regulations. Or low flying passenger carrying aircraft.
Stop flying in public areas, perhaps escape, out to nearest beautiful scenic country side...

RedHotPoker
2018-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I’m not interested in debating nor arguing the merits of one great light over the others.

You can only use what you have, so buy those which suit your near future needs best. Fill those requirements.

Lume Cubes makes mounts for mostly all DJI drones. If you want them, have a look on the website.

Do your own diligence and search this forum and many other rc forums to see what others like, and use themselves.
I’ve not heard any complaints about Lume Cube quality, craftsmanship, nor their awesome bright light.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-30
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 736775 ft
United States

I bought a few free standing strobes from Firehouse.  They're reasonably inexpensive , and are bright enough for" legal twilight" use.  I routinely use them for daylight flight   They're extremely light, and I've had zero navigation issues while using them  While I don't have an exact timing I'd say they the batterys last for 3 or so hours.   Several lighting options are avalable; I've been using them in  stobe mode exclusively.   They can be secured to any part of the drone , P4P, in my case with velcrow.    I will say Firehouse offers mounts for the legs, which I personally would advice against.   The concept is great,  but the materal that's used is a  hard plastic like materal, but it doesn't have much compliance, They crack extermly easily.   The mounts are supposed to expand around the leg and then more or less lock in place afterwords.   I think if the portion of the mount that phyiscally connect to the leg was made out of a difference matterial,  it would work fine.
2018-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The Lume Cube mounts are extremely secure and dependable.

Once pushed down and locked into position, they are ready for your secret covert missions.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-30
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansb2edd25e Posted at 2018-10-30 16:59
I bought a few free standing strobes from Firehouse.  They're reasonably inexpensive , and are bright enough for" legal twilight" use.  I routinely use them for daylight flight   They're extremely light, and I've had zero navigation issues while using them  While I don't have an exact timing I'd say they the batterys last for 3 or so hours.   Several lighting options are avalable; I've been using them in  stobe mode exclusively.   They can be secured to any part of the drone , P4P, in my case with velcrow.    I will say Firehouse offers mounts for the legs, which I personally would advice against.   The concept is great,  but the materal that's used is a  hard plastic like materal, but it doesn't have much compliance, They crack extermly easily.   The mounts are supposed to expand around the leg and then more or less lock in place afterwords.   I think if the portion of the mount that phyiscally connect to the leg was made out of a difference matterial,  it would work fine.

Which drone did you attach them to?
2018-10-30
Use props
_808_
lvl.2

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-30 13:03
So today you're saying the strobe requirement is actually just your opinion.  

That's a little different than what you said yesterday implying it's a federal requirement.  

Hey Mark, did you read post #7 yet?

2018-10-30
Use props
_sinical_
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-30 15:35
I can see them for several miles blinking brightly in the glaring sunny sky.

Are you telling us that Lume Cube's own test results of 750 LUX at *one* meter are incorrect?
2018-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

_sinical_ Posted at 2018-10-30 22:45
Are you telling us that Lume Cube's own test results of 750 LUX at *one* meter is incorrect?

I can only comment on my set.

What I have, my pair, can be seen a very long distance...

That’s on a completely clear, no cloud sky day, bright mid day sun, these are very easy to spot.

It’s a miracle... ha. I love mine. & feel fortunate to own a pair.

You should see them at night though. Grin
With them lighthouse, honeycombs and different coloured filters.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-30
Use props
_sinical_
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-30 22:53
I can only comment on my set.

What I have, my pair, can be seen a very long distance...

It's great that you love your Lume Cubes. Nothing wrong with that.

What I see an issue with is your attitude towards the OP and your suggestion that Lume Cubes are suitable as an anti-collision light. Even if their output was sufficient (it isn't), their beam angle is only 60°!!!

A light that emits 750LUX at 1 meter is simply not visible from 3 miles away and that is precisely what the OP is/was looking for. Don't you see that that's why you and I are having this conversation?

Lume Cubes aren't the right tool for the job and Lume Cube themselves would tell you as much.

P.S. there's nothing silly about wanting to avoid a collision with a manned aircraft.

2018-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

_sinical_ Posted at 2018-10-30 23:02
It's great that you love your Lume Cubes. Nothing wrong with that.

What I see an issue with is your attitude towards the OP and your suggestion that Lume Cubes are suitable as an anti-collision light. Even if their output was sufficient (it isn't), their beam angle is only 60°!!!

This is all they are. Nothing more.

6000K Color Temperature
1 to 1500 Lumen Dimmable Output
Continuous Output Light
Strobe Capability for Still Photo Work
Integrated Battery
Bluetooth Control
Waterproof to 100'

I already stated , uninterested in debate. Besides, I live in Canada, so your FAA reg’s don’t influence us, one way or the other. Besides, my drone, she don’t fly south of the 49th.

RedHotPoker

2018-10-30
Use props
_sinical_
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-30 23:15
This is all they are. Nothing more.

6000K Color Temperature

And which of those features do you feel qualifies them for serving as an anti-collision light?
2018-10-30
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Hmm daylight waiver strobe here ya go lol
images-16.jpg
2018-10-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced