Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Manually Unfolding Props on Mavic 2?
5038 9 2018-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I've had this mentioned to me a few times so thought I would ask here. When starting the Mavic 2, should you manually open up the props when they are folded in before starting the motors? On my Mavic Pro I just start it up and let them unfold on their own as it starts to spin. I was told with the Mavic 2 the props are larger and weighed more so letting the motor spin with them folded and having the force open them will damage the motors and adds unneeded wear to them.

Is there any truth to this or no?
2018-10-4
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic 2 manual recommends unfolding the props before powering on the Mavic. If you want to avoid unneeded wear and tear, it would be a good addition to your pre-flight checklist.
2018-10-4
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I open them for the same readon.  It just makes sense.  
2018-10-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

And you should really unfold props on Mavic Pro as well, page seven of manual indicates that it may affect the self diagnostics on start up if not unfolded.

Untitled - Copy.jpg
2018-10-4
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Good to know. Thank you for this information!
2018-10-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

I agree on post #2, you should unfold the propellers of the Mavic 2 before the flight. You can also refer on the attachment below for our pre flight check list.

2018-10-4
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't unfold them with my Mavic Pro because if you leave them to the centripetal force and you notice something wonky then it serves as another checkpoint of your drone to make sure it can go up successfully.
2018-10-4
Use props
GhostWolf010
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

On my pro I always unfold them myself, just to be sure they are unfolded and still in one piece.
2018-10-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

GhostWolf010 Posted at 2018-10-4 08:57
On my pro I always unfold them myself, just to be sure they are unfolded and still in one piece.

Unfolding - part of pre-flight check of props.

2018-10-4
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would think there can be an initial SHAKE due to unbalanced rotating mass......which can and would cause eventual motor/airframe wear that is not desirable.

Randy
2018-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules