IMU warmup…….
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dentin11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155646 ft
United States

hi,  for almost a month my phantom 3 has been perfect!!!  updated all firmware to latest and ios app!I also do have an Inspire 1 as well.

Yesterday I decided to calibrate the IMU on my P3.  Understand I had no problems until I did this.   Previously  my P3 started up immediatley with no delays, no IMU warm up issues.    This was the first time I had calibrated the IMU,  on a flat table.
Now,  it takes several minutes for the imu to warm up,  I have tried several times at startup,  all the same ,  long delay in imu warm up.
I did calibrate compass as well outside.  I calibrate the IMU indoors though.

It seems some folks on the forum have the same problem after first time calibrating the IMU.  

After the IMU warms up,  I am getting error messages about the compass having interference and I cannot takeoff using the app.  I restart the bird, same error message that the compass has issues and I relocate the bird and restart, as the message in the app says to do, no help,  When I slide the autotakeoff button in the app, still get the  compass error message,  I even recalibrated the compass again,  no success.  The area I do this outside has had no previous issues with my P3 or my Inspire1.

I have always used autotake button in the app with no problems till I decided to do the IMU calibration. I only did cause formum members stated to calibrate IMU after firmware upgrades.  

Any advice????

As I said,  all was perfect till I calibrated the IMU yesterday!!    Now compass errors and long imu warmups!

2015-6-1
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The long warm-up time can be greatly reduced if your Phantom is cool before starting the IMU calibration. Leave it outside for a few hours at night (if it's cool where you are) or set it near an A/C vent. Then, place your Phantom on a level surface and start the IMU calibration as quickly as possible after turning it on.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-1
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
United States

yes,  I did that last night.  we will see tonight when I test it.  I will recalibrate compass tonight away from any metal.  The compass is giving me errors now, which never did .   
2015-6-1
Use props
gclarke34
lvl.2

Canada

Same issue here. I did the imu re-cal in hopes to fix my crooked camera (gimbal). Now I still have a crooked gimbal and a copter that takes 4 minutes to warm up.  I blamed the issue on the firmware and was hoping there would be a new version that would take care of both issues.  Curious to see how you make out.
2015-6-1
Use props
tou_thor10
lvl.2

United States

my last flight a few days ago was my 11th flight with the P3P...everything is perfect on it, but i did realize during my last flight a few days ago as  i turned on the Phantom to prepare it to fly, i've been waiting longer than normal for the IMU to warm up. After it does, everything is green and good to go it flies beautifully with no problem..I did a IMU calibration a few times after the latest upgrade on the Phantom and then calibrated the gimbal right after....I'm not sure if maybe the weather was  a factor as the the IMU taking longer than normal to warm up because that day i flew was pretty hot outside and sunny...
2015-6-1
Use props
challenger451
lvl.2

United States

gclarke34 Posted at 2015-6-2 07:29
Same issue here. I did the imu re-cal in hopes to fix my crooked camera (gimbal). Now I still have a ...

I had the same problem last night after calibrating the IMU.  This morning I took it outside and everything went well.   Maybe it needed to cool down, but there was no magnetic interference last night.  It was where I always make adustments and calibrations.
2015-6-1
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
United States

How do you all take off, manually or using the takeoff slide button in the app?  when I use  it I get compass error message, so I launch manually.
2015-6-1
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I always do everything manually
2015-6-1
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
United States

I flew it with manual takeoff last night,  all is good.  At first I had a compass error, so it told me to relocate the bird, which I moved it about 50 feet and all was good.   IMU warm was less than a min,   I did recalibrate the IMU from a cold start as stated from other forum members
2015-6-2
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Some Chinese customers also reported this issue. R&D already got their datas and are working on it.
2015-6-3
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

I did my first advanced IMU calibration and had the long "warm-up" problem as well. I read a thread on this forum where others were having a similar problem. The solution was to remove the battery from the bird and place the bird in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes and then immediately do the advanced IMU calibration. To my surprise it actually worked. I have a very quick "warm-up" now. Maybe takes 30 seconds before it's ready to fly.

Jerry
2015-6-3
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
United States

thank you, DJI-Autumn
2015-6-3
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
United States

yes,  the Fridge Technique!
2015-6-3
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

Be careful using the fridge. If you get it good and cold, then pull it out into the warm air and turn it on, you can get condensation and water all over the internal circuits which seldom ends well.

It would be best to put it near an air conditioner (Dry cold air) and leave it there while doing the calibration so there is no sudden change in temperature.

I'm sure the fridge method has worked for a great number of lucky people. I wouldn't want to be the unlucky one.

I am more fortunate than most. I work at a college in a research building. In my building, there are many 'Cold Rooms'. These are large rooms with level tables set up to hold lab equipment. Some are 10 by 20 feet and are kept at various temperatures. I have my Phantom 3 sitting in a 4 degree Celsius cold room on a level table right now cooling down. I plan to leave it there for a couple hours until it is all down to temperature inside and out. Then kick it on quick ready to do the IMU calibration, and gimbal calibration. I am hoping to greatly reduce my 2 minute or more warming up period using this method.
2015-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules