iPhone or iPad GPS vs external unit
744 8 2018-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84091 ft
United States

At the risk of making this too complicated, I want to be able to change my return to home point if I move with the RC, so I know I want a GPS enabled device vs. WIFI only.  I understand that Apple uses something called AGPS (assisted GPS).  As I understand it, with the SIM card in place the device will pick up a cell tower signal which "assists" in establishing the location via GPS (I think just in terms of speed, but maybe or maybe not accuracy).  So if you are in an area with no cell service, the GPS will work but not as fast or as well compared to areas where cell service is available.  A number of people here have also stated that they use a Garmin GPS device for about $100 that they can link to the IPhone or Ipad and get a really good GPS position, I assume because unlike the IPhone or IPad it is not using an AGPS (assisted GPS) but a better unassisted GPS like backcounty hikers use.

So this is the question:  Would it be better to save money, get a WIFI only IPad and the Garmin unit (setting aside having more devices to carry) or a cellular/WIFI IPad with the SIM card.  Would they be equally effective when out of cell coverage or would the IPad/Garmin combination be better in those situations?
2018-10-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use an iPad Mini 4 with cellular - works perfectly for me.
2018-10-6
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-10-6 14:41
I use an iPad Mini 4 with cellular - works perfectly for me.

Have you noticed any difference when you have lost your cellular coverage?  I have not, but honestly have not paid enough attention to it.  I want to take it on a trip out West where I know cellular coverage is non-existent.  I know the GPS will work okay, but would I be better off with a separate GPS unit that does not use assisted GPS like the iPhone does?
2018-10-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone34 Posted at 2018-10-6 15:15
Have you noticed any difference when you have lost your cellular coverage?  I have not, but honestly have not paid enough attention to it.  I want to take it on a trip out West where I know cellular coverage is non-existent.  I know the GPS will work okay, but would I be better off with a separate GPS unit that does not use assisted GPS like the iPhone does?

No, have not noticed anything out of the norm
2018-10-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Hope you'll get the best recommendation in regards to using the external third-party accessory, however, the mobile device with cellular will work as long as there will be no interruption on the service. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-7
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-7 14:19
Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Hope you'll get the best recommendation in regards to using the external third-party accessory, however, the mobile device with cellular will work as long as there will be no interruption on the service. Thank you for the support.

Does anyone know if the GPS system when running an Apple device in Airplane mode is as effective as when running it in normal mode?
2018-10-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Drone34 Posted at 2018-10-9 16:54
Does anyone know if the GPS system when running an Apple device in Airplane mode is as effective as when running it in normal mode?

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry that we're not aware of the capabilities of the Apple devices when it's on airplane mode if this will affect the GPS system on it. Hopefully, you'll get the best advice on how Apple products will work when it's on airplane mode. Thanks for understanding the limitation of the information that we can provide.
2018-10-10
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-10 09:28
Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry that we're not aware of the capabilities of the Apple devices when it's on airplane mode if this will affect the GPS system on it. Hopefully, you'll get the best advice on how Apple products will work when it's on airplane mode. Thanks for understanding the limitation of the information that we can provide.

I found part of the answer in MacWorld.  Apparently when Apple was using IOS 8.3 or earlier, Airplane Mode did cut off the GPS, but all higher versions of IOS do not cut off the GPS when in Airplane Mode.  Cellular is disabled in Airplane Mode, and I have not been able to determine assuming Apple still uses assisted GPS (which is GPS apparently assisted by cellular), whether there is any degradation in the GPS function while in Airplane Mode.  Anyone else know?
2018-10-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Drone34 Posted at 2018-10-13 08:01
I found part of the answer in MacWorld.  Apparently when Apple was using IOS 8.3 or earlier, Airplane Mode did cut off the GPS, but all higher versions of IOS do not cut off the GPS when in Airplane Mode.  Cellular is disabled in Airplane Mode, and I have not been able to determine assuming Apple still uses assisted GPS (which is GPS apparently assisted by cellular), whether there is any degradation in the GPS function while in Airplane Mode.  Anyone else know?

Hi, Thanks for your updates. Glad that you found a possible explanation on this. Hopefully, you'll found the best feedback in regards to this who are using this kind of mode if it does affect the GPS function.  
2018-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules