P4Pv2 firmware update (10/8/2018) lowers Transmission Quality bitrates
981 10 2018-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brett Walsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6518511 ft
  • >>>

Just before updating to the latest Phantom 4 Pro V2 firmware (released on the 8th Oct 2018), I checked the Transmission Quality bitrates using the previous firmware,
With the drone sitting on the table beside the controller, I noted the three Image Transmission settings.

Normal Mode gave approx. 8Mbps
HD Mode gave approx. 10Mbps
Smooth Mode gave exactly 12Mbps

NOW, after the firmware update & with the drone & controller in the exact same place on the table as before (I never moved them before or after the firmware update) I noted the dramatic drop in Transmission Quality bitrates.

Normal Mode gave approx. 3.3Mbps
HD Mode gave approx. 4.5Mbps
Smooth Mode gave approx. 6Mbps

DJI, was this done on purpose & if so why?

I'm yet to do real life flying tests with this firmware (waiting for rain to clear) but I'm highly curious how this may affect live broadcasting quality.
2018-10-10
Use props
PatchPhoto
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have the same problem since completing the update last week.  My controller seems to have issues connecting to the aircraft.  It has happended twice now and switching it off and on seems to remedy it but I am a little nervous it will happen during a flight.

I am currently looking through the internet to see if there is anyone else having this problem or if i can remedy it. I will post of I find out anything else.
2018-10-10
Use props
CHUNGO
lvl.1
Spain

Please can check if is possibe  now turn off the OSD for a clean HDMI output?
thanks
2018-10-10
Use props
Brett Walsh
lvl.2
  • >>>

** UPDATE **

After checking the transmission quality again (the next day), it appears they are back to similar bitrates as they were on the previous firmware.
Note that I have made no changes whatsoever since yesterday, but I am pleased to see the higher bitrates return.

Normal Mode approx. 7.7Mbps
HD Mode gave approx. 10Mbps
Smooth Mode 12Mbps

Not sure why they dropped so much directly after applying the new firmware, but I am happy that was only temporary.
Sorry if this caused any confusion
2018-10-11
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

PatchPhoto Posted at 2018-10-10 10:55
I have the same problem since completing the update last week.  My controller seems to have issues connecting to the aircraft.  It has happended twice now and switching it off and on seems to remedy it but I am a little nervous it will happen during a flight.

I am currently looking through the internet to see if there is anyone else having this problem or if i can remedy it. I will post of I find out anything else.

Uninstall and reinstall dji4 go, it should take care of it.
2018-10-11
Use props
n55w132
lvl.2
Flight distance : 312890 ft

I am not sure where the word "Quality" came from. I don't find any documented referenece to the transmission rate and Quality.

It is true the transmission bitrate seems lower but the bitrate is adaptive. I have seen mine drop to 3.0 if the camera is pointed at a blank surface and has less imaging to transmit, but point the camera at your tv and watch what the bitrate does. Mine jumps up to 7.0mbps because it has more imaging to transmit.

So the transmission rate can be better described as quantity.
2018-10-11
Use props
Brett Walsh
lvl.2
  • >>>

Admin, please delete this post

2018-10-12
Use props
Brett Walsh
lvl.2
  • >>>

20181012_213820.jpg
2018-10-12
Use props
Brett Walsh
lvl.2
  • >>>

n55w132 Posted at 2018-10-11 19:58
I am not sure where the word "Quality" came from. I don't find any documented referenece to the transmission rate and Quality.

It is true the transmission bitrate seems lower but the bitrate is adaptive. I have seen mine drop to 3.0 if the camera is pointed at a blank surface and has less imaging to transmit, but point the camera at your tv and watch what the bitrate does. Mine jumps up to 7.0mbps because it has more imaging to transmit.

Transmission Quality bitrates

2018-10-12
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7248914 ft
Canada

Yes I have noticed and getting many transmission breaks.
2018-10-13
Use props
n55w132
lvl.2
Flight distance : 312890 ft
United States

Brett Walsh Posted at 2018-10-12 03:53

Funny that's not what my screen says. The word quality is not  on my screen, which is why I was curious.
2018-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules