Can a new SD card cause disconnects?
1420 13 2018-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CCScott
lvl.2
Flight distance : 288366 ft
United States

I upgraded to this new SD card for a little more storage space and speed however ever since I installed it I've had several mid flight disconnects requiring a RTH.

I've never had any problems with my Mavic Pro using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (other than the having to start the tablet last). Of course I've also recently done the latest software and firmware update and also wondered if it could be my cable..

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Scott
20181010_143344.jpg
2018-10-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. However, SD card does not affect the disconnection error to your drone. Upon checking, I see that Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is not fully compatible with the Mavic Pro and I believed this caused you the error. Can you please try to use a different device that is compatible with the Mavic Pro so we can check if you will still get the same error. Also, please don't forget to re-link your remote controller to your aircraft. Thank you.
2018-10-10
Use props
CCScott
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-10-10 10:57
Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. However, SD card does not affect the disconnection error to your drone. Upon checking, I see that Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is not fully compatible with the Mavic Pro and I believed this caused you the error. Can you please try to use a different device that is compatible with the Mavic Pro so we can check if you will still get the same error. Also, please don't forget to re-link your remote controller to your aircraft. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. I switched to the Iphone 6+ and had the same problem. As a test,  I put the original SD Card back in the Mavic Pro and took it out this afternoon and flew 3 full batteries and didn't have any problems (using the Samsung tablet) so that is why I was asking the question about the SD card...
2018-10-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

CCScott Posted at 2018-10-10 11:51
Thank you for the reply. I switched to the Iphone 6+ and had the same problem. As a test,  I put the original SD Card back in the Mavic Pro and took it out this afternoon and flew 3 full batteries and didn't have any problems (using the Samsung tablet) so that is why I was asking the question about the SD card...

Hi, thanks for the reply. Upon checking, I see that your new SD card is only Class 3. Please make sure to use a Micro SD™ that is Class 10 or UHS-1 for compatibility purposes. Thank you.
2018-10-10
Use props
Philgn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16299 ft
United Kingdom

Is it the picture that freezes on your display? If so try tapping the video or photo selector on your display, worked for me
2018-10-11
Use props
CCScott
lvl.2
United States

Philgn Posted at 2018-10-11 03:53
Is it the picture that freezes on your display? If so try tapping the video or photo selector on your display, worked for me

Thanks for the reply....No it says something like  "controller communication error" and neither the tablet or controller would respond. Its weird.

Ill keep testing with the original 16gb factory sd card and a new cable an see how it goes.
2018-10-11
Use props
CCScott
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-10-10 11:58
Hi, thanks for the reply. Upon checking, I see that your new SD card is only Class 3. Please make sure to use a Micro SD™ that is Class 10 or UHS-1 for compatibility purposes. Thank you.

You must have looked up the wrong card. That supposed to be super fast and is a class 10 - from the mfg

SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC Memory Card Plus SD Adapter up to 100 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30, A1 - 64 GB
2018-10-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have a few bad micro SD cards and haven't experienced any disconnection errors related to that.  however i have noticed that Lexar cards no matter how fast are almost entirely/universally incompatible.  

4 brands i know that work:

Samsung

Sandisk

Sony

Kingston Hyper X
2018-10-11
Use props
Pequodd
lvl.2
Australia

I've seen issues like this with cameras.
It can be related to the card having unusually high peak power draw on burst writes and the controller being designed without enough headroom.
Newer samsung cards tend to be better in this respect. (Evo Plus, Not Evo+)
2018-10-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>

It sounds to me like it is your card and the advice you are getting from DJI is incorrect. I would send the card back and get one of the other ones listed
2018-10-11
Use props
CCScott
lvl.2
United States

Pequodd Posted at 2018-10-11 16:54
I've seen issues like this with cameras.
It can be related to the card having unusually high peak power draw on burst writes and the controller being designed without enough headroom.
Newer samsung cards tend to be better in this respect. (Evo Plus, Not Evo+)

I just ordered a Samsung to give it a shot...thanks for your thoghts
2018-10-12
Use props
CCScott
lvl.2
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-10-11 22:20
It sounds to me like it is your card and the advice you are getting from DJI is incorrect. I would send the card back and get one of the other ones listed

I took your advice. thanks for the reply
2018-10-12
Use props
WRHershey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, the card he is showing is a Class 10, U3, V30. It is the recommended card in the DJI manual, and I have several of them they all work fine. However, that card may be defective. After reviewing several speed tests, I switched away from the Samsung, however, never experienced a disconnect with either.
2018-10-13
Use props
CCScott
lvl.2
United States

I replaced the card with a Samsung and the problems went away. Thanks for the reply everyone. So I guess a bad memoy card can cause weird disconnects. Good to know.
2018-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules