Above the water
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nautimages
New
Flight distance : 22031 ft
France

Hi,

I realize mainly videos of water sports. When I use a drone, its always above the water. I use now a Phantom 2V2 with Gopro3+ and I would like to change to the Phantom 3 for his better sensor than Gopro and all specificies of this new model but... But, withe the sonar its seems ther are big problems above the water. The first solution, it is to fly in manual mode (also without GPS) but during shooting with a wind of 15-20 kts above boats, kitesurfers or windsurfer, it is too hard (for me!!! ). So is there a solution to fly in GPS mode without the sonar?
Some exemple of my edits on nautimages.fr
Sorry for my bad english...
Thanks
Martin

2015-6-1
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

I believe there is a way you can turn the VPS system off in the Pilot App while still flying in P-GPS mode yes.  Mind you, some ppl have had success flying over water at low altitudes with the VPS system turned on and have had no issues.
2015-6-1
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I never turn off the VPS and have flown my P3A over water many times now.
2015-6-1
Use props
phresh_5
lvl.2

Canada

VPS is suppose to only work between 1ft - 9ft from the surface below it.
2015-6-1
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

The best solution, get that, "solution" I've seen for flying over water is this.

2015-6-2
Use props
danno1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1043150 ft
United States

Yes, you can turn off the VPS system while still using GPS (p-mode).  I pretty much leave it off all the time - no sense risking it.
2015-6-2
Use props
artem.nedoshepa
lvl.2

United States

15-20 knots is nothing for phantom 3, shot this not long ago:

Didn't disable the VPS, worked just fine.
2015-6-2
Use props
nautimages
New
Flight distance : 22031 ft
France

OK!!
Many thanks all for your answers. It's great if I can turn off the VPS. Some times, I flight near the sea so I think it's better if I can turn off the VPS. Beautiful edit artem! Here is one of my last video with phantom2 an Zenmuse H3-2D
http://vimeo.com/109406728

and this is my best of 2014
http://vimeo.com/115596010

Thanks
2015-6-4
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

Actually, there is something different about flying over water, water is a strong RF reflector at the GNSS bands, that means that even with the ground plane the GNSS antenna will have problem attenuating the low elevation signals which means that your GNSS receiver will have to deal with far more multipath, in open sky environment the GNSS receiver should have no problem coping witht the multipath (same principle as a least squares solution) however the situation may be more difficult if you fly near the shore with trees / buildings on one side and water on the other... so if you fly over water your P3 may be more susceptible to position drift under the "right" conditions.

Isaac
2015-6-9
Use props
power
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3140876 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I flew over water yesterday, hovering at about 2 meters over the surface at various speeds. Didn't have a single issue. The P3 was responding perfectly all throughout.
2015-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules