Jello effect while moving right.
997 15 2018-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Union Bell
lvl.2
Belarus

Hello, guys. I launched my P4P about 40 times already and recently I began to notice this famous "jello" effect while I'm moving right. I guess there is no reason to show the footage as long as it's completely standart jelly effect.

It almost doesn't appear while I move left/up/down/forward/backwards, hovever even when I move slowly to the right, the probability that it will appear is about 90%

There is also a slight probability of about 2-3% that this effect will appear while I move forward.

I calibrated my IMU, Gimbal and Compass a couple of times before the flight while battery was fully charged, but there is no use: Jelly Belly continues to appear.

Maybe someone can advice anything or the only reliable way to solve this problem is to replace the bird?
2018-10-17
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi
The first things I would ask are what are you camera(video) settings ?
There many film/video experts on here, but by using filters for example slightly longer exposure time to get that smoother effect with longer exposure times on really sunny days, basically more flexibility for shutter speed and aperture settings.
A sort of rule of thumb what ever your frame rate is then your shutter speed should be double, so 30fps = shutter 1/60, 60fps = shutter 1/120 etc.

You are trying to get a slight motion blurr for that cinematic effect and of course the slower the pannying movements can also help to reduce this.

2018-10-17
Use props
Union Bell
lvl.2
Belarus

KEJ Posted at 2018-10-17 02:27
Hi
The first things I would ask are what are you camera(video) settings ?

Lately I shot video using "Auto" settings in a clear sunny day. 4K/60 FPS MOV.

Though I think the settings are not the main reason as long as the settings were the same all the time, but the jello appears only when I move right (moving very slowly to the right is enough to cause it)
2018-10-17
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Union Bell Posted at 2018-10-17 02:37

Though I think the settings are not the main reason as long as the settings were the same all the time, but the jello appears only when I move right (moving very slowly to the right is enough to cause it)

I would try manual settings for example(subject to conditions).

ISO = 100
Aperture = 5.6(depending - lower tighter focus more light, higher better all round focus/less light)

4k/60fps
NTSC
WB = Sunny/Cloudy(leave it fixed on one)
Style Custom -1 -1 -1
Colour D-Cinelike
Encoding H264

I did invest in some NEEWER & Polar Pro PL ND filters, I like the polarised ones for the beach.

2018-10-17
Use props
Union Bell
lvl.2
Belarus

KEJ Posted at 2018-10-17 02:44
I would try manual settings for example(subject to conditions).

ISO = 100

I see. I will try those settings today. Though I don't get why this problem appears at all. Everything was ok so far.
2018-10-17
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Union Bell Posted at 2018-10-17 02:37

Odd, I suppose in Auto you have no control of those settings, so by using manual you can at least try to find the cause or at least control the effect.

I think you will find filters will give you more control on the shutter/Aper that can cause it.
Also as you state its bad or worse when you turn to the right might possibly suggest something slightly out on the motor causing that wobble....the problem being trying to find that.
I suppose check your props for any physical damamge, swap the ones around you can(Black/White) - the thing is, the obvious thought is the front right motor, but it could potentially be any(expert required) and of course did the wind play any part.
I would try manual settings first off the bat.......

2018-10-17
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Union Bell Posted at 2018-10-17 02:47
I see. I will try those settings today. Though I don't get why this problem appears at all. Everything was ok so far.

It would be interesting to see a small clip, turning left and then turning right.
2018-10-17
Use props
Union Bell
lvl.2
Belarus

KEJ Posted at 2018-10-17 03:04
It would be interesting to see a small clip, turning left and then turning right.

Unfortunately I have two separate videos: first moving left without jello effect and the second moving right with jello which won't demonstrate anything. Today I will upload one single video in which I will move different directions, and also try manual video settings.
2018-10-17
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Union Bell Posted at 2018-10-17 03:07
Unfortunately I have two separate videos: first moving left without jello effect and the second moving right with jello which won't demonstrate anything. Today I will upload one single video in which I will move different directions, and also try manual video settings.

Sounds like a plan - good luck.

I think if you can try and keep the shutter speed double the frame rate and just try to alter the aperture to restrict or allow more light might be the best approach for the test.

And ideally the same location you first experienced the issue(providing you weren't on holiday) or with similar objects or terrain.

2018-10-17
Use props
Union Bell
lvl.2
Belarus

Just tried to calibrate my gimbal again and found something really weird going on.
When my camera is set to horizontal position, it makes a squeaky sound. The same thing happens when I tilt it up and down just a little bit in a range that I've shown on the attached image. I guess I didn't have this kind of stuff a couple of days ago.

And BTW my gimbal doesn't want to calibrate. Its calibration stucks at 6% and it squeaks all the time during this calibration, twitching a little bit. Any ideas what the hell could it be?
Pretty important  thing to notice that I had this squeak before, but very rarely, only in critical positions of the camera like during compass calibration.

Update after 30 minutes: used air blower to clean all the gimbal's parts and... don't know if it's coincidence or not, but everything's ok now and gimbal calibrated 4 times in a row (don't know if it's for long or not). Well, guess gotta go for a field test.

2018-10-17
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Union Bell Posted at 2018-10-17 04:51
Just tried to calibrate my gimbal again and found something really weird going on.
When my camera is set to horizontal position, it makes a squeaky sound. The same thing happens when I tilt it up and down just a little bit in a range that I've shown on the attached image. I guess I didn't have this kind of stuff a couple of days ago.
[view_image]

Hopefully a small bit of rubbish was stuck in there, that has now been blown clear.

Don't forget those manual settings.

2018-10-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you really have jello, then the settings will not have any influence on it. But I am not convinced you have jello, more likely you are confusing it with movement artifacts. Movement artifacts can be reduced by use of an ND filter to slow the shutter speed and thereby introduce some motion blurring to the footage. Real jello is visible while the shot is stationary, and is caused by vibration of the camera.
2018-10-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and sorry for the trouble that you have faced. Regarding that all the reply here is correct you may use an ND filter to minimize the movement's artifacts, you can post a video sample here for better visualization and for us to check.
2018-10-17
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Union Bell Posted at 2018-10-17 04:51
Just tried to calibrate my gimbal again and found something really weird going on.
When my camera is set to horizontal position, it makes a squeaky sound. The same thing happens when I tilt it up and down just a little bit in a range that I've shown on the attached image. I guess I didn't have this kind of stuff a couple of days ago.
[view_image]

How did the field test go ?
2018-10-18
Use props
Union Bell
lvl.2
Belarus

KEJ Posted at 2018-10-18 03:49
How did the field test go ?

Well it seems that everything's really bad lol)) tried different settings, however it became even worse now. Jello effect turned to vibration with bigger amplitude than before which makes it completely impossible to watch. I will upload the video of this vibration once I return home.

Even before the flight when camera is looking horizontally forward in the range I showed before on the image, the gimbal is squeaking and during this squeak the vibration goes on.

Guess I will return the bird. Two months ago I waited for more than one month for DJI to replace the battery because it was defective and now I have to suffer another issue again. Too sad that DJI produces such unreliable products for such high price.
2018-10-18
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Union Bell Posted at 2018-10-18 04:32
Well it seems that everything's really bad lol)) tried different settings, however it became even worse now. Jello effect turned to vibration with bigger amplitude than before which makes it completely impossible to watch. I will upload the video of this vibration once I return home.

Even before the flight when camera is looking horizontally forward in the range I showed before on the image, the gimbal is squeaking and during this squeak the vibration goes on.

Sorry to hear.

At least if its sent back they should fix it.

Might pay to still upload the video taken and possibly even film of the actual drone taken with your phone especially if you can see it dancing around.

Until next time....
2018-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules