2015 7 2018-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dthawk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5493514 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was flying my Mavic 2 Pro on Sunday afternoon 10/21/18.  
The Mavic 2 Pro disconnected from the controller about 4 times, but I was able to press the return to home on the controller, and it came back every time.  Some of the returns it would reconnect when it was close, and I was able to keep flying. However one time it would not reconnect, and the drone did an auto land at the RTH location.

Once I got it back. I changed battery and kept flying and didnt have any issues after changing the battery. I checked the connection of my lightning cable to my iPhone and controller, and dont know what caused this issue.  Was the first time to experience a disconnect on the Mavic 2 Pro.  

I have a Mavic 1 Pro and never had any problems with it, and have been flying the Mavic 1 when it was first released with no issues.

David H.
Plano TX
2018-10-23
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Upload your flight log for best diagnosis.
2018-10-23
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Doesn't the mavic initiate RTH when it loses connection with the remote controller?  It does this automatically.  If the remote controller is disconnected from the Mavic, pressing the RTH button would do nothing.  Do nothing since there is no connection, when disconnected, for it to know the pilot wants it to RTH.

I wonder if the remote and mavic were on a busy radio channel during the first flight and interferrence blew it out.  The second flight with a new battery being on a clearer channel chosen upon start up.
2018-10-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the troubles that it may cause. I would like to ask that upon changing the battery the disconnection issue will not occur? Is this occurring on one specific battery only? Have you tried to check if this will happen in a different location? If the RC will be disconnected then it the aircraft will not recognize the command that you used on the RC. I would recommend re-linking the RC and AC then fly your aircraft in open areas wherein there are no interferences to see if the issue will persist. Please keep us posted on the latest result. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-23
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dancopter Posted at 2018-10-23 06:37
Upload your flight log for best diagnosis.

How do I upload my flight logs?
2018-10-23
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

It's most likely the cable between your controller and phone/tablet. Use an official Apple USB cable. I've had the exact same thing even with the cable that ships with the controller, as soon as I swapped cables not had the problem since.
2018-10-24
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-10-23 06:53
Doesn't the mavic initiate RTH when it loses connection with the remote controller?  It does this automatically.  If the remote controller is disconnected from the Mavic, pressing the RTH button would do nothing.  Do nothing since there is no connection, when disconnected, for it to know the pilot wants it to RTH.

I wonder if the remote and mavic were on a busy radio channel during the first flight and interferrence blew it out.  The second flight with a new battery being on a clearer channel chosen upon start up.

Yes. I have flown the Mavic 1 and P4P.  And when the controller lost contact, and then I could see the RTH alert on my iPhone. After it lost contact, once it came back in range of the controller. I could cancel the RTH function. on my Mavic 1 and my Phantom 4P. And resume flying.

However, this was weird.  When I lost contact with my Mavic 2 Pro. It would not start the RTH function. I had to press the RTH button on my controller each time it lost contact. But the controller would not reconnect to drone until it was very close. And I wasnt flying that far away. Probably 1500 feet max distance that day.

I was able to re establish connection about 2-3 times. And resume flying but having lost the connection again. It would not reconnect to the controller.  And the Mavic 2 did the auto land RTH function.

At the location I was flying in Wylie Texas.  There is a radio transmission tower that is used by Wylie Police and Fire Dept. Also not far from that is a Cell Phone tower.  I have flown at this location before many times and never had any problems prior to last Sunday. Weird.  

After the Drone did the RTH auto land. I changed the battery, and check my lightning cable connection to the controller to the iPhone. Then I flew it a few more times and didnt have any issues.   
2018-10-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Dthawk Posted at 2018-10-24 03:43
Yes. I have flown the Mavic 1 and P4P.  And when the controller lost contact, and then I could see the RTH alert on my iPhone. After it lost contact, once it came back in range of the controller. I could cancel the RTH function. on my Mavic 1 and my Phantom 4P. And resume flying.

However, this was weird.  When I lost contact with my Mavic 2 Pro. It would not start the RTH function. I had to press the RTH button on my controller each time it lost contact. But the controller would not reconnect to drone until it was very close. And I wasnt flying that far away. Probably 1500 feet max distance that day.

When you say you lost contact, do you mean you lost the video feed but still had full remote control of the drone?  That would make sense since the drone wouldn't RTH until it quit getting signals from the remote.  It doesn't care if the video feed dies (though the operator does).  That is different from losing connection to the drone where your remote control has no control over the drone and it is flying on its own.  

DJI protocols is for the drone to auto RTH when it doesn't get signals from the remote when it has a good GPS-P lock.  If it is in ATTI mode (GPS/compass errors) and doesn't get remote control signals, it will autoland where it is (can't find home anyway).  Technically, there is no real problem when the remote doesn't get signals from the drone.  It's video and data feed back to the pilot isn't needed for safe flight.

I still think the channel the drone was using got noisy (busy with other signals).  The first thing the noise will block is the video feed from the drone since that has the most data on the channel, then the data feed (speed, height), then the remote control of the drone.  It looks like you still had remote control of the drone since your RTH button worked.  
2018-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules