Can’t fly these on Vacations no more
849 6 2018-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Majestikkal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34298 ft
United States

I guess drones are losing the right to fly everywhere. I just found out that drones are not allowed onboard a cruise ship because someone had to spy on someone else and ruined it for all flyers.  I wanted to get some spectacular shots of my time on St. Thomas Island USVI and I cannot bring it on board because of new regulations.  There’s not even a way to have them store it so that I could take it with me to the island.  SMH.
2018-10-26
Use props
salmonshark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 206352 ft
United States

Maybe just that particular Cruise Ship Company...   Hopefully it's not all of them...  You could ship it down to yourself maybe...
2018-10-26
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

From the Carnival web page:
Exemptions - Items for Port Use Only
The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.  
* Drone Cameras

My wife and I like to cruise, I have seen more 'No Drones' signs popping up in recent years.
2018-10-26
Use props
Majestikkal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34298 ft
United States

The cruise line I am speaking about is Norwegian. Only last year I saw this video....

https://youtu.be/RdSqUkJmV3s

Only to find out a year later that their new policy is to restrict drones from being brought on board.  I just wanted to record beautiful places I’ve been to, but obviously someone had to ruin it for future passengers.
2018-10-27
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Yup, seems they are banned:

" Prohibited Items List ...water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc. 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks... http://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Frequently Asked Questions ...What can't I bring onboard? Passengers should not bring the following items onboard any Norwegian Cruise Line ship: Drones (Game Flying Device) Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the... http://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/what-to-bring"
2018-10-27
Use props
WRHershey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sucks totally. You could try to debate it but most likely you'll grow old trying. Just an FYI: I have made 4 trips to Indonesia and never had an issue. Recently the Minister of Aviation released a ruling on drones (In the Indonesian language) and it's not bad. A lot like here in the US, 150 meters AGL, stay away from airports, police stations, prisons, etc. and be respectful flying near Islamic Mosques, Hindu Temples and any other religious site. The whole country is a photo opp, at one point on the Campuhan Ridge Walk in Bali, there were 5 drones in the air at once. Be aware in many remote areas where the scenery is beautiful there can be quite a few religious buildings, I just am sure to not fly directly over them and not close enough to disturb the folks in the area. It helps if you lucky to have a local around to help you identify sensitive areas, I was fortunate to have a Muslim friend I met at a job site to tag along and provide greater local information, she lead us to amazing areas we would never thought of without a local.

In Bali, there are drone rentals available if you don't want to tote your own, along with at least two drone repair shops. The rental companies can provide you with great information of good places too fly. I use AirMap here in the states, and it works in Indonesia also, as I was flying near one of many motels I stayed in on my 3 week road trip, and it alerted me to a nearby prison, which made my area a no-fly zone...That app is fantastic tool to have.

Pack it in your carry on and pass it in the scanner, TSA had no issue, Indonesian customs and police didn't even bad an eye. Tape your battery contacts and put then in a zip bag separately, also in carry on. If your transferring through, Japan Air had no issue, I have heard the Qatar Air has a 2 spare battery limit but never said a thing to me.

Indonesians are a friendly bunch, and they love to meet Americans, they don't see too many because it's so hard to get there. Just be warned about one thing, Anthony Bourdain once said that Indonesia is a place that many people have visited and decided to never go home lol...you've been warned. Happy Flying.

2018-10-27
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still plenty of places to fly without harsh regulation. Check this map and you can click on each island and read their drone restrictions. Yeah, it sucks that you can't take it on the ship but if you just picked one island to vacation on you'd be able to capture the entire essense of the island instead of just a glimpse. https://foxnomad.com/2017/07/25/ ... -updated-regularly/
dronerulesbycountry.png
2018-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules