10741 15 2018-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QuantumCommando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578976 ft
United States

I'll try to make this brief.
As you may all know, the Mavic 2 has its side sensors disabled in all modes except active track and tripod mode... I have not found any clear explanation from DJI about this, it appears everyone has just forgot about it. I understand it has been clear to be this case since launch but I am still dissappointed and without answer.
You see, if I tap on active track and before I select a subject and begin tracking, you can still fly the Mavic 2 like in P mode, only all 6 sides have sensor active. I tested this, flying faster than tripod mode it was able to detect me and trees in daylight (and stop). Therefore, I see it is physically capable of doing this. I am fine with proposing a speed limit like in APAS mode or P mode, just turn them on. DJI released this product unfinsihed (it's great don't get me wrong) but we are getting features later on that should have been in release.  I am mostly fine with this, but the side sensors should be added along with all the others.

BTW, I will point out as I understand the side sensors are arguably the most inferior of all sides. They are single optical sensors, so they are unable to detect depth like the front and back as well as be able to detect at less distance than the others which is the only real reason I can imagine this being off in P mode. However, like I said in the example, it is physically capable as the Mavic 2 is programmed to do so in activetrack.

Thanks for reading and responding!
2018-11-2
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

In my test, the app shows the side sensors deactivated in P mode (Red).  I have set up my C1 button to disable all sensors.  I "OK" it, and it's showing up as all red.  I fly between my vehicles and it won't get very close to either one of them (I am approaching them via the side of the drone).  The side sensors are still enabled.  The only mode that truly disables all of the sensors is Sport.

DJI hasn't responded to my post about the sensors.

2018-11-2
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

The problem with the side-sensors (visual) is that they are not stereoscopic - there is only one camera. As such they can only create a depth map by analysing relative changes between consecutive images. And to do that, the changes have to be pretty small, so the anchor points are present in both images. It follows from this that Mavic need to travel at a slow pace for the sensors to be efficient. In Active track and Tripod the AC movement is predictable, while in free flight and in Spiral the speed may be too high for the sensors to have any effect - they won't detect an obstacle in time or at all.
I think this limitation is DJI's way of limiting their liability without having to explain all of the above.

I'd really love to see M2P having sideways sensors enabled in all modes, yet at the same time capping the speed at which the AC can travel in certain directions, so that the sensors would still perform.
2018-11-2
Use props
QuantumCommando
lvl.2
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 11-2 13:19
The problem with the side-sensors (visual) is that they are not stereoscopic - there is only one camera. As such they can only create a depth map by analysing relative changes between consecutive images. And to do that, the changes have to be pretty small, so the anchor points are present in both images. It follows from this that Mavic need to travel at a slow pace for the sensors to be efficient. In Active track and Tripod the AC movement is predictable, while in free flight and in Spiral the speed may be too high for the sensors to have any effect - they won't detect an obstacle in time or at all.
I think this limitation is DJI's way of limiting their liability without having to explain all of the above.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah that's exactly what I was saying. I understand the mono limitations of optical sensors, however they do work at higher speeds as if it were in p mode when in active track free fly mode. I agree that's why they are off on P mode but I feel they should still sorta be on just to maximize protection.
2018-11-2
Use props
QuantumCommando
lvl.2
United States

Fraggboy Posted at 11-2 13:18
In my test, the app shows the side sensors deactivated in P mode (Red).  I have set up my C1 button to disable all sensors.  I "OK" it, and it's showing up as all red.  I fly between my vehicles and it won't get very close to either one of them (I am approaching them via the side of the drone).  The side sensors are still enabled.  The only mode that truly disables all of the sensors is Sport.

DJI hasn't responded to my post about the sensors.

Wait so you disable all sensors and the side sensors are still red but they still stop it from hitting?
2018-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don’t think they put product out unfinished, I think they put out the product with what was the best they had tested and available, they have increased option of side OA to Quickshot modes helix circle and boomerang , I suspect they cannot guarantee it being 100% in any other modes, so it would be a big mistake to tell users it works in other modes if they cannot stand by this.
If companies were to wait for better or futuristic technology, then you or I wouldn’t be flying a M2 right now. To date I have never had any need to use side sensors and flying tripod mode which I use in busy areas I just switch off sensors, because they interfere to much.
2018-11-2
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2018-11-2
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

QuantumCommando Posted at 11-2 13:25
Wait so you disable all sensors and the side sensors are still red but they still stop it from hitting?

It does. The only way I can disable the side sensors is to put it in Sport mode.
2018-11-2
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-2 14:00
I don’t think they put product out unfinished, I think they put out the product with what was the best they had tested and available, they have increased option of side OA to Quickshot modes helix circle and boomerang , I suspect they cannot guarantee it being 100% in any other modes, so it would be a big mistake to tell users it works in other modes if they cannot stand by this.
If companies were to wait for better or futuristic technology, then you or I wouldn’t be flying a M2 right now. To date I have never had any need to use side sensors and flying tripod mode which I use in busy areas I just switch off sensors, because they interfere to much.

I agree with you 100%. I don’t rely on the sensors also. They are nice to have as an aid, but if you need to land elsewhere where it’s tight, you have to switch on Sport mode.  I was hoping to assign the C button to fully disable them.

Like you said, this will probably be fixed in a future
Firmware update.

I still love the M2P! We pay the price with cutting-edge technology.
2018-11-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Fraggboy Posted at 11-2 18:01
I agree with you 100%. I don’t rely on the sensors also. They are nice to have as an aid, but if you need to land elsewhere where it’s tight, you have to switch on Sport mode.  I was hoping to assign the C button to fully disable them.

Politely disagree...   It is technology, but not cutting edge technology.

Cutting edge technology is very rarely experienced by public.  Usually Cutting edge tech is introduced about a decade before it gets to public.

There is also Bleeding edge tech.  Tech that select adopters know is risky in that it will have problems, and tech may be dropped.  Tech that may never make it to public in is originally introduced form.   Idea of or concept of Tech may make it, but not as it was first seen by select adopters.
2018-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fraggboy Posted at 11-2 18:01
I agree with you 100%. I don’t rely on the sensors also. They are nice to have as an aid, but if you need to land elsewhere where it’s tight, you have to switch on Sport mode.  I was hoping to assign the C button to fully disable them.

This article agrees with you.

https://www.yicaiglobal.com/news ... e-drones-technology
2018-11-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 11-2 13:19
The problem with the side-sensors (visual) is that they are not stereoscopic - there is only one camera. As such they can only create a depth map by analysing relative changes between consecutive images. And to do that, the changes have to be pretty small, so the anchor points are present in both images. It follows from this that Mavic need to travel at a slow pace for the sensors to be efficient. In Active track and Tripod the AC movement is predictable, while in free flight and in Spiral the speed may be too high for the sensors to have any effect - they won't detect an obstacle in time or at all.

Good answer! Same case on the Phantom 4 Pro when that was released with side sensors in 2016.
2018-11-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some of the items (PCB parts) could be defective.  They could have gotten wet and malfunction by the user.  When I got my spark I had a choice of getting 1 of 2 at BestBuy.  Before purchasing I made sure to check the one with the highest serial number but saw the manufacturer date.  One was 08/18 and 11/18 I think.  I got the 11/18.  Learning from the past they can change parts and do revisions they don't "release" to the public as they do with hard drives where they are the same exact model and everything but the PCB design is all different.  I was making drones back in 2013 so I'm well aware of what could go wrong.

Doing a flight analysis to see if it's pilot error would be the Only reason to flight analysis but things going on beyond pilot control we might not be able to detect.  Only DJI.  I haven't looked at the flight recorder but it might not log everything.  Also when malfunctions happen they won't show unless it's a really advanced recorder but that takes a lot of power and memory to do so.  Also I assume w/ all the hiccups that happen when looking at the video on the smartphone vs on the SD all the information might not be sent.

I'm just saying it could be a waste of time trying to look at the logs that if the "God" system decided to mess with it in flight there is nothing you can do about it having a mind of it's own this is for both saving your drone and ruining it.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ruan
New
South Africa

Hi is there a way, to change any DJI Drones Visual sensors stopping ranges? so that you can maybe adjust them yourselves, to make the drone to be able to fly through narrow spaces, but still uses the sensors to stop the drone but maybe like a few inches from the blade, don't know if my question is clear enough.

Just want some info on that topic please?
2019-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ruan@MD Posted at 7-31 22:16
Hi is there a way, to change any DJI Drones Visual sensors stopping ranges? so that you can maybe adjust them yourselves, to make the drone to be able to fly through narrow spaces, but still uses the sensors to stop the drone but maybe like a few inches from the blade, don't know if my question is clear enough.

Just want some info on that topic please?

Not without hacking the settings and that is something I don't do.
2019-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The side sensors also work in POI, hyperlaspse and certain quick shots now - essentially any autonomous flight mode that requires the drone to yaw in addition to beginner and tripod modes.
2019-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules