Mavic 2 Pro image transmission lag
5117 24 2018-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
K30NYR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100951 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, I have had my mavic 2 pro for around 4 weeks now, and for the most part i am loving it!
However there have been a couple of occasions where i have flown out to around 1km and have experienced quite bad image transmission lag. These are the only two times that i have flown this distance and it is a little worrying, also i have had the weak rc signal message pop up! The areas where i have experienced this are pretty open areas with very little to block signal. It is a bit concerning when the stated range is 8km! If it makes any difference which i can’t see that it would), i have used sports mode to fly to the 1km mark to get to what i want to photograph. I am using HD image transmission and am using auto settings.

Also, should the antennas be folded out until they clip half way or should they be fully extended out?

I am using an iPhone 7 and all software is the latest version.
2018-11-7
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

turn off HD mode so it dosent transmit a 1080p signal that might help
2018-11-7
Use props
K30NYR
lvl.1
United Kingdom

bomberuk Posted at 11-7 00:30
turn off HD mode so it dosent transmit a 1080p signal that might help

It seems a bit counter intuitive but i will give it a try, is it possible to change this mid flight? And have you ever experienced anything like what i described?
2018-11-7
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

I have used the same settings as you described (HD mode, all other left to Auto) and had similar experience. Around the distance of 1-1,5Km I was getting messages for bad image transmission etc. The image became pixeled or lost.

I used to have Mavic Pro and in the same area I was able to fly in about 2,5-3Km without signal issues.

I'm based in Europe, so probably the signal transmission levels might be adjusted a bit lower, but still according to reports it should be able to fly until 5Km.

I also never fly within a city, or at least I'm not expecting to be able to fly such distances (~5Km) within the boundaries of a city.

I'm starting to feel that either I have a faulty unit, or the new Occusync 2.0 does not like the HD mode. I don't know.

2018-11-7
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

Yep the CE mode in Europe configuration is quite a bit less than FCC mode. I think the problem comes with interference from wifi at 2.4 and 5.8 ghz. I have experienced the same even in areas which are blatantly unpopulated. There are a lot of threads about range extenders for the MP2, basic windsurfers may help as the antennae on the MP2 are omni directional.
2018-11-7
Use props
K30NYR
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I am also in europe and had read that the range would be around 5km, however i never expected to have issues at 1km. It would be good to get a response from DJI on this as it’s pretty dissappointing, atleast i know now that it isnt an issue with my drone secifically.
2018-11-7
Use props
darren mark tay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Where is the setting to turn hd mode off so i can give this a try too.
2018-11-7
Use props
Mrimstad
lvl.3
Norway

Its all the dreaded ce transmission power.
Even a normal home wifi router will give you problems if its close enough.

Cross your fingers that nld will come trough sooner than later or go the drastic route with antenna modification with a booster.
2018-11-7
Use props
K30NYR
lvl.1
United Kingdom

There should be a HD symbol in the settings when you are connected to the drone, the option is in there, let us know how you get on.
2018-11-7
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

This issue will be resolved as soon as there will be a way to change to FCC and boost 1.5w, like you can change on mavic pro1))

Flysafely all
Alex
2018-11-7
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Any hacks or modifications are simply not the answer I would be looking for.

The drone is supposed to give 5 km distance in open space when flying in Europe.

If it only makes it up to 1-1.5km then something must be very wrong.
2018-11-7
Use props
K30NYR
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Well, this was my thinking! I may not have had the rc antenna pointed quite in the right direction, here is a photo of how i usually have them when flying, however i have the rc tilted slightly towards my body so possibly they are pointing too high, i need to try out extending them fully and pointing them more in the direction of the drone but i’m not sure that this will make a huge difference
image.jpg
2018-11-7
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

K30NYR Posted at 11-7 12:46
Well, this was my thinking! I may not have had the rc antenna pointed quite in the right direction, here is a photo of how i usually have them when flying, however i have the rc tilted slightly towards my body so possibly they are pointing too high, i need to try out extending them fully and pointing them more in the direction of the drone but i’m not sure that this will make a huge difference

No no no, you are pointing the antennas the wrong way! They have to point directly up and straight up parallel to each other.

Fly safely all and enjoy
Alex
2018-11-7
Use props
K30NYR
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Alex B. Posted at 11-7 12:54
No no no, you are pointing the antennas the wrong way! They have to point directly up and straight up parallel to each other.

Fly safely all and enjoy

Thanks for the advice, i’ll give it a try and let you know.
2018-11-7
Use props
K30NYR
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Alex B. Posted at 11-7 12:54

Fly safely all and enjoy

2018-11-7
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

K30NYR Posted at 11-7 12:57

You are welcome, it usually helps a lot, also be sure that there is nothing blocking the path between the remote and the drone. And I mean nothing, not even trees that seem far away. It also affects the connection a lot. Best place would be on the beach or out to sea or a huuuge open field.

Also fly high, like 120 meters high, and its best when there not much wind at that altitude.
Use uav forecast app, it tells you everything about weather conditions where you are flying, including wind speeds at different altitudes, very useful app.

Enjoy all and flysafe
Alex
2018-11-7
Use props
xagoras
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1357589 ft
Greece

Basically the flat part of the antennas should face towards the drone, not the tips. So if you are flying low and you keep the RC horizontally you need to turn them on a 90 degree angle to get the best results. If you prefer to hold the RC vertically, they should be be in an extended position. Not sure if you can visualize this. There's a video tutorial from DJI somewhere, if you search their site.
2018-11-7
Use props
K30NYR
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Update - completed a flight today, flew out 2400m from home point with no issues whatsoever! Relatively confident now that everything is fine.
2018-11-10
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

K30NYR Posted at 11-10 05:14
Update - completed a flight today, flew out 2400m from home point with no issues whatsoever! Relatively confident now that everything is fine.

You are welcome!

Enjoy and safe flying
Alex
2018-11-10
Use props
djiuser_KOdjc5SLRNU0
New

I am having the same problem, but at much, much closer ranges.  I haven't been able to diagnose the problem yet, but I am looking into it.  In my view this makes flying at long distances extremely difficult if not impossible.  The time lags are significant fractions of a second.  Yet the videos I have seen show no significant time lag.  My videos and pictures don't show much, but the only ones I took do so some significant streak, which I think is due to rather heavy winds and the IMU correction bandwidth.
2019-10-7
Use props
djiuser_KOdjc5SLRNU0
New

Alex B. Posted at 2018-11-7 11:11
This issue will be resolved as soon as there will be a way to change to FCC and boost 1.5w, like you can change on mavic pro1))

Flysafely all

I am having the same problems in the US.  It is not unique to Europe.
2019-10-7
Use props
djiuser_KOdjc5SLRNU0
New

After re-reading this thread it seems there may be 5 reasons that I am having the data lag issues that I am having.  1)  My controller antennas are not orthogonal to the line of sight to the aircraft.  2)  Although I am surrounded by desert, there is a small cluster of houses around me, almost all of which likely have wireless routers.  Apparently this can cause interference, and I have been flying it at rather low altitudes (<100 ft).  Some one suggested going up to 120 meters or so (I will try this on my next flight).  3)  I am using a burner phone I picked up in Canada, and have no cellular coverage with it here in the US.  The manual says this is required, which surprises me as I assumed the only RF necessary was between the controller and the aircraft.  How critical is cellular coverage?  4)  Regardless, according to the user manual, it appears I need to expect a 120-130 msec delay.  5)  Need to verify that I am not on 1080p data.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Any comments or answers appreciated, particularly regarding whether I need active cell service, and interactions with wireless routers.
2019-10-7
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2309285 ft

djiuser_KOdjc5SLRNU0 Posted at 10-7 18:37
After re-reading this thread it seems there may be 5 reasons that I am having the data lag issues that I am having.  1)  My controller antennas are not orthogonal to the line of sight to the aircraft.  2)  Although I am surrounded by desert, there is a small cluster of houses around me, almost all of which likely have wireless routers.  Apparently this can cause interference, and I have been flying it at rather low altitudes (

What phone are you using, it does not matter if you have a sim card in, i dont and works fine. Do everything on wifi. You can turn off cellula download in the app aircraft settings. Check the data rate that you are getting when connected to aircraft. Sd and hd can be a different. I get between 8 and 12 Mbits/sec. That is in hd menu.
2019-10-8
Use props
djiuser_KOdjc5SLRNU0
New

fans48f0c1a5 Posted at 10-8 06:13
What phone are you using, it does not matter if you have a sim card in, i dont and works fine. Do everything on wifi. You can turn off cellula download in the app aircraft settings. Check the data rate that you are getting when connected to aircraft. Sd and hd can be a different. I get between 8 and 12 Mbits/sec. That is in hd menu.

It is a cheap burner phone I got up in Canada.  It doesn't have cell connection down here in the US.  The model is an LG-M151.  Android version 6.0.1.  After reading in some other forums I am beginning to think I don't have to processing power for this in the phone.  I read a lot of stories about problems with different phones and tablets.  
2019-10-8
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2309285 ft

djiuser_KOdjc5SLRNU0 Posted at 10-8 08:59
It is a cheap burner phone I got up in Canada.  It doesn't have cell connection down here in the US.  The model is an LG-M151.  Android version 6.0.1.  After reading in some other forums I am beginning to think I don't have to processing power for this in the phone.  I read a lot of stories about problems with different phones and tablets.

Yea there's no listing on gsm areana for your phone, i am running android 9 on a samsung galaxy s5 which is a four year old with no issues so far but when i was running android 6 with samsung stock rom i had terrible frame lag at sd transmission rate. There is a list of dji recomended phones somewhere here in the forum if someone has not already posted.
2019-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules