Crystalsky monitor will not upgrade Mavic 2 pro firmware
1382 6 2018-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zona
lvl.1
United States

See this YouTube video:

I bought the Crystalsky monitor based on the false advertising at  https://www.dji.com/crystalsky

"Created for outdoor aerial imaging, the CrystalSky monitor
features an ultra-bright screen that is clearly visible in sunlight.
It is designed from the ground up to work seamlessly with the
DJI GO app, giving camera operators total control."

In particular DJI states, "It is designed from the ground up to work seamlessly with the
DJI GO app".

The crystalsky won't update firmware with the app that "works seamlessly".

As seen in the video, and in this post here in the forum, the CrystalSky monitor doesn't work as advertised. I've been waiting for 2 months to fly my Mavic 2 and still can't fly it with the high end, optimized monitor. And as I don't own non-Linux PCs, I can't remedy the problem with the "work around", DJI Assistant.

Note: The DJI apps and crystalsky firmware are both at the latest version, per the attached pictures.

Here's some more false advetising from https://www.dji.com/crystalsky

CUSTOMIZED SYSTEM AND DJI GO
A newly designed system removes unnecessary Android apps and services and is resistant to viruses and junk software. This ensures that the CrystalSky monitor is able to offer optimum performance at all times. Its embedded DJI GO app provides full access to all DJI GO features including aircraft parameter adjustment, camera control, footage management, and playback. Using offline maps, maps can be kept available even if going out of Wi-Fi reach.

*Supports DJI GO, DJI GO 4, and DJI Pilot.

Go App version

Go App version

Crystalsky Firmware Version

Crystalsky Firmware Version
2018-11-11
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have a CrystalSky, so I can't speak from experience with it.  However, I do know that the OcuSync protocol trashes wifi signals really good.  Lots of people have ran into similar issues from what I've read.

One thing you might try to see if it works, is to try to set your connection between the RC and aircraft to use one part of the spectrum (i.e. 2.4GHz) and use the opposite wifi spectrum (i.e. 5.8GHz) for your WiFi data connection.  I'm not sure if this will work, but it might be something to try.  At least in my head, it seems like this would help prevent the OcuSync signals from stepping on the WiFi signal.
2018-11-11
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-11 20:29
I don't have a CrystalSky, so I can't speak from experience with it.  However, I do know that the OcuSync protocol trashes wifi signals really good.  Lots of people have ran into similar issues from what I've read.

One thing you might try to see if it works, is to try to set your connection between the RC and aircraft to use one part of the spectrum (i.e. 2.4GHz) and use the opposite wifi spectrum (i.e. 5.8GHz) for your WiFi data connection.  I'm not sure if this will work, but it might be something to try.  At least in my head, it seems like this would help prevent the OcuSync signals from stepping on the WiFi signal.

I've owned a CS for over a year.

When...and if I decide to upgrade, without fail...always use an IOS device.

2018-11-11
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

geoffz Posted at 11-11 20:44
I've owned a CS for over a year.

When...and if I decide to upgrade, without fail...always use an IOS device.

Yeah, I didn't say it in my previous note, but it does seem like Android devices appear to be a bit more susceptible to this issue than the iOS devices.  But I'm not sure I've watched closely enough to strongly proclaim that.  

I've got an iPhone that I've successfully used for updates 2 times on 2 different aircraft.

But that is also a good point as a potential alternative.  Zona, if my suggestion above doesn't work for the CS, do you have a phone you could utilize for doing this instead of via the CS?

2018-11-11
Use props
Paul_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4472 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-11 20:29

One thing you might try to see if it works, is to try to set your connection between the RC and aircraft to use one part of the spectrum (i.e. 2.4GHz) and use the opposite wifi spectrum (i.e. 5.8GHz) for your WiFi data connection.  I'm not sure if this will work, but it might be something to try.  At least in my head, it seems like this would help prevent the OcuSync signals from stepping on the WiFi signal.
Nor have i been able to update with an android device. Using Assistant 2 works nicely. Small price to pay for using the Crystalsky! Welcome to the world of high tech, our world is not perfect yet.

Sorry, meant this response to zona.
2018-11-12
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You need to upgrade the Crystalsky first to a compatible dji go 4 for the Mavic 2. Use the me -> system -> upgrade menu first then try the update again.

i never update drone FW through the go app. I Use Assistant 2 on the Mac.
2018-11-12
Use props
zona
lvl.1
United States

bjr981s Posted at 11-12 05:32
You need to upgrade the Crystalsky first to a compatible dji go 4 for the Mavic 2. Use the me -> system -> upgrade menu first then try the update again.

i never update drone FW through the go app. I Use Assistant 2 on the Mac.

Check the pictures, my CrystalSky is  up to date as it can be. Sadly, I've learned the App updates on the DJI premium device lags behind an Android phone.

Unfortunately, I only own Linux PCs and don't have a convenient way to run Assistant 2 on a regular basis. That's a significant reason I bought the CrystalSky.

Yes, the monitor is bright, but I won't be satisfied until it actually works as advertised.
2018-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules