Video and time lapse questions
940 6 2018-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wco81
lvl.2

United States

Been watching some videos, some of which cut in some time-lapse sequences, with nicely synchronized music.

They look great but they've obviously done a lot of post-processing and spent some time editing.

That makes me wonder how good the videos and time lapses are out of the camera.

I haven't shot a lot of video and the few that I've shot with my iPhone or some with DSLR, I've never bothered to edit. I just shoot video when it seems like a good way to complement stills of the travel photos which is what I mostly shoot.

The stuff posted on Youtube are obviously polished and those people want to get subscribers for their Youtube channels, probably shoot video for a living.

I'm intrigued by the Mavic 2 Pro because it's a stable platform, like shooting on a tripod -- I mostly shoot handheld -- and like hyper lapses.

So my questions are:

1. How good are the 4K videos and hyper lapses out of the drone, without editing?

2. What formats or codecs are they in?

3. What are the best ways to view them, maybe upload them to Youtube and then play them on your 4K TV? Or are people here mostly saving them on their computer and viewing them once in awhile?

In particular I wonder if the hyper lapses out of the drone are smooth or the ones you see on Youtube have been post-processed with nice transitions and effects. I'm not completely against the idea of post processing but they're time consuming. I spend a lot of time post-processing my photos and then use them as screensavers on my computers so I'm "consuming" the thousands of photos every day.

I guess the challenge for videos and time lapses would be enjoying them later for all the time which may be required to post-process or refine them. I can see devoting a lot of time if you're doing this professionally or if you're trying to make a name for yourself, to build a business.

These questions are important to me to determine if it's worth spending $1500-2000 as well as the time. I would also use for stills or actually more to make panos with the M2P, but obviously the value proposition increases if video and hyper lapse content is relatively "easy" to produce.
2018-11-16
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

I you want easy you don't get the best possible out of M2.  Dealing with DNG and D-log  is not hard but does require a little more work.  Plenty of posts and videos to help one decide for themselves.
2018-11-16
Use props
GekoCH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574557 ft
Switzerland

The processed hyperlapse out of the drone are not that good. A lot of shaking and it will only generate a video file in 1080p.
I only use the in drone generated hyperlapses to view the rough result if all went well since I will post process the DNG and than stitch and stabilize them in a different program.
It takes some time but its worth it and if you really want to get the most out of the drone this is needed.

I just finished and published a hyperlapse video (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D384%26typeid%3D384) and hmm it would be interesting to exchange the heavily processed hyperlapse with the ones which the Drone does generate to see the side by side difference...

Andy
2018-11-18
Use props
wco81
lvl.2

United States

GekoCH Posted at 11-18 07:28
The processed hyperlapse out of the drone are not that good. A lot of shaking and it will only generate a video file in 1080p.
I only use the in drone generated hyperlapses to view the rough result if all went well since I will post process the DNG and than stitch and stabilize them in a different program.
It takes some time but its worth it and if you really want to get the most out of the drone this is needed.

Stich, as in panoramas?

What software are you using to stitch and stabilize?
2018-11-18
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

The hyperlapses of M2Pro are not 4k out of the camera. If you choose to post process them then you can make them 4k.
If there is no wind, the drone is pretty stable and the panorama will turn out almost perfect.

Here are some of my videos with hyperlapses out of the camera to make an idea:

I have some more but not published yet.

2018-11-18
Use props
wco81
lvl.2

United States

GekoCH Posted at 11-18 07:28
The processed hyperlapse out of the drone are not that good. A lot of shaking and it will only generate a video file in 1080p.
I only use the in drone generated hyperlapses to view the rough result if all went well since I will post process the DNG and than stitch and stabilize them in a different program.

Looks like your video blended timelapse and regular video?

Can you give a quick overview of your post processing, like software used?
2018-11-26
Use props
Starstriker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84360 ft
Sweden

wco81 Posted at 11-26 13:57
Looks like your video blended timelapse and regular video?

Can you give a quick overview of your post processing, like software used?

A timelapse is a serie of photos put in sequence and converted into a clip.

Then you can combine/edit clips in Premiere or Final Cut.

You should start with editing some films to better understand the process.
2018-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules