Seagulls & the Inspire
1528 8 2015-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigstar
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone else who lives by the ocean/bay had issues with flying your Inspire (or Phantom) and had angry Seagulls go after it and try to attack it?   I flew this morning by the Santa Cruz Harbor and was trying to get some aerial footage of a house nearby.  After I reached an alitutude of 75 feet, I had several seagulls fly over from the nearby harbor and they looked to be hostile towards the Inspire.  Several of them flew within a couple feet of the Inspire and looked like they were trying to take it down.  I took evasive action and quickly landed.  This has happend to me several times before when I had my Phantom 1.   For some reason, its only seagulls that go after the quad.  Anybody hear of anyone loosing a quad due to an intentional bird strike?

2015-6-3
Use props
chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

Was just flying in Sedona AZ this morning and had several Hawks trying to have sex with mine in the air.
2015-6-3
Use props
kinsonlai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69662 ft
Hong Kong

I had a couple of seagulls interested in mine, I think it's due to the color and size of the thing lol
2015-6-3
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Time of the year, springtime birds more aggressive.
2015-6-3
Use props
Pgale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275207 ft
United Kingdom

eggbeater Posted at 2015-6-4 12:49
Time of the year, springtime birds more aggressive.

How about painting some large teeth on the front ;)
2015-6-3
Use props
Mistician
lvl.2

United States

I had two ospreys that tried to dive-bomb mine every time I took off near a lake in CA. The pelicans, seagulls, and geese never seemed to notice the drone.
2015-6-4
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over the ocean %90 of the time and YES seagulls really like to "Play" they are not particularly aggressive but are inquisitive, I've never hit one or had to quickly dodge one I just fly and see if they will chase me. I Hydrodipped mine in "Birdstrike" blood pattern.
20150505_174816s.jpg
2015-6-5
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

chris@corp-medi Posted at 2015-6-4 06:43
Was just flying in Sedona AZ this morning and had several Hawks trying to have sex with mine in the  ...

Video or it never happened!!!!   J/K

I was down in Santa Cruz a few weeks ago and it must be territorial as the local birds were not very friendly to my I1 in the air. No issues but they sure made me uncomfortable.
2015-6-5
Use props
eXpeL
lvl.2

Poland

Yeah the same here... Don't play with them. I've noticed that they are less aggressive between 100m/200m above ground. When you're reaching 30m-80m...well hunting starts. One of this aggressive bird almost catch me! It's seems that air flow from props saved me. I suppose this was new for seagulls but they didn't gave up. I've installed shark teeth sticker but it didn't helped. Maybe prop guards will help (it oversized inspire in birds eye) or some kind of whistler.
2015-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules