Tilted horizon
2941 26 2015-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rivera_albert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377966 ft
United States

I have tried everything I read on trying to fix the tilted horizon, still is an issue, all I want to know from someone maybe from dji is should I wait for a software fix maybe a firmware, or do I need to send it in? I'm just asking for a little help to go in the right direction, my phantom is only 2 weeks old, no crashes or hard landings, I have had the issue sine day one.  I don't want to send it back and wait many weeks if there is a fix by firmware, please just some advice, I emailed dji support twice and have not gotten any response.

Thank you all
2015-6-3
Use props
gregl This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-3
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

You've probably already done this but to be sure....
1. You've done an advanced IMU calibration? (Do it a couple times)
2. Then a gimbal calibration?

If you don't see improvements after this, and It's been happening since day 1, I'd say you've got a defective unit. Hopefully you can just exchange it for a replacement with the dealer you purchased it from. Can't imagine a dealer that wouldn't immediately offer this for something so expensive.

Best of luck.
2015-6-4
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-4 22:18
You've probably already done this but to be sure....
1. You've done an advanced IMU calibration? (Do ...

Well I have done all the imu & gimbal calibrations, Made sure it was completely level, I used a bubble level to make sure, phantom was cold, everything I read I did.  I seems to work for a bit, then it goes back to being a bit tilted.  I contacted dealer, but all I got was, your phantom is under warranty so contact DJI.  It's a bit disappointing when you buy something that is not cheap, & right from the start seems to have a defect that is not the fault of the consumer, and you get this response.   I have emailed DJI support team 3 times & still no reply.   When I was looking around to find someone who had the phantom 3 in stock I came across several hobby shops that said Oh we don't carry DJI because of their poor product support, I ignored those comments of course since I have 2 phantom vision pluses without a single problem, but now I am bothered by the situation because I truly feel that as a loyal supporter of the product, we should get some better response, I have not sent any angry or rude messages to DJI, Im just wanting to get some help on something that should be working.  I totally understand that no matter what you buy, you can have a defective product, it happens, the issue is how the company deals with the defective product.  I want to know if the issue is something that I need to send it to get replaced or if they think the issue is a firmware issue & should wait a bit, but I can't get an answer.  I tried the 24hr chat support & even uploaded picks of how the gimbal is not straight, but again, I was told to call the support team.  I believe that if my Phantom is brand new, the gimbal should not be repaired, it should be replaced with a new one.  I'm just frustrated because I have been going around and around without a definite solution.  I just think it's not fair.
Sorry for sounding a little bitter.   
2015-6-4
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

rivera_albert@c Posted at 2015-6-4 22:58
Well I have done all the imu & gimbal calibrations, Made sure it was completely level, I used a bu ...

I don't think you sound "out of line" or unreasonable. You certainly don't sound like a noob who's claiming some kind of "quad 101" issue when it's really user error. Any issues with any product at this price point should be handled with urgency by any and every dealer. With a full, new replacement. Period. Not a return for assessment. Not a repair. No one, that's still in business, handles brand new defective products this way.

I had the same issue with another "dealer". Product was within the timeline for their return policy BUT I was told their policy no longer allows straight out replacements for defective DJI merchandise. They gave me the technical support information for a DJI service center out west and wished me well. So I feel your pain.

This is exactly why I now only buy from dealers that have a "100% satisfaction guarantee or we'll replace it/refund it immediately" policy. So far these dealers haven't been hard to find.

Best of luck.
2015-6-4
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Maybe just adjust your gamble roll until the better fix is available.
2015-6-4
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-4 23:44
I don't think you sound "out of line" or unreasonable. You certainly don't sound like a noob who's  ...

Well I spoke to DJI support this morning.  The said I should try resolving with dealer first about a replacement.  The issue is the dealer I got it from is in Los Angeles & I live in Fresno, I picked it up from the on my way to San Diego.  The have a 7 day return policy.  I discovered the issue when I got back home, so by the time I found the problem, it was pass the 7 days.  I emailed the dealer & I hope they will help me since I explained to them that the problem was right out of the box.  I didn't panic just tried to follow all the information I found on this forum.   DJI says I can send it in & it will be 5-6 weeks for them to repair it.  As I told DJI, this is brand new & I think its only fair that I get a new replacement.  I hope the dealer does the right thing here.  They have nothing to lose, Im sure they expect to get service from their venders when they get a defective product.  It's a bit frustrating because all Im asking is what I paid for, a working product.  It's funny when you email or send any type of message to these dealers when you are interested in buying something from them, man, they respond to you in a matter of a few minutes.  Once the sale is done, they take forever to respond.   I got an email from them a few days after the purchase to write a review, I told them Im not going to write a review until I see how they resolve my problem.

This industry is just going to grow & grow & there will be other companies offering similar products, if DJI takes care of their customers, then we will stay loyal & continue buying from them and make them bigger, so they just need to make sure the quality of service doesn't end at the time of purchase.

It's not fair for a customer to have to wait for 5-6 weeks to get something repaired that should just be replaced due to a defect that is not the fault of the customer.   
2015-6-4
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-5 01:29
Maybe just adjust your gamble roll until the better fix is available.

The gimbal roll is not the issue, it's the gimbal angle that is not straight, the horizon is not straight.
2015-6-4
Use props
Arct1C0n
New

United States

I had same issue with my first P3. I exchanged it and my second p3 STILL had the issue!  I finally got desperate and I put my P3 Pro in the fridge for 30 minutes WITHOUT the battery.  The cold tempratus makes the IMU calibration a better range of temprature apparently.   

I took it out immedately and did a full IMU calibration and then did the gimbal alightmenta and amazingly enough, it worked!!
2015-6-4
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

rivera_albert@c Posted at 2015-6-5 02:32
The gimbal roll is not the issue, it's the gimbal angle that is not straight, the horizon is not s ...

OK, I guess it was my imagination that I corrected mine with the gamble roll.  YMMV.
2015-6-4
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-5 02:45
OK, I guess it was my imagination that I corrected mine with the gamble roll.  YMMV.

Hello sir;  I hope I didn't sound like a butthead with my reply, I guess Im just trying to figure this out.  I thought the roll adjustment only corrects the gimbal movement to the right or to the left & not the tilt.  So you had the same issue?   
2015-6-4
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

rivera_albert@c Posted at 2015-6-5 03:16
Hello sir;  I hope I didn't sound like a butthead with my reply, I guess Im just trying to figure  ...

I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish with your issue.  The gimble roll should alter the horizon level left/right.  If you need more vertical plane adjustment to see more of the horizon then click the "Gimble Pitch Limit" to on.  This will allow an additional 15 degrees of vertical movement upwards.  One of these two adjustments should get you closer to the preferred horizon view you desire.
2015-6-4
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-5 03:32
I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish with your issue.  The gimble roll should alte ...

Well folks, say hello to the King, the Emperor, the president & CEO of the idiots, me!   Well I thought all this time that the gimbal adjustment only effected the left & right rotation of the gimbal & not the tilt.  Mr. Bob I am in your debt.  I went into the menu & discovered just like you said the roll adjustment would correct this.  I was able to make the fine adjustments and the gimbal is straight.  Now do you know if this adjustment needs to be done often or should it hold?  Man, I have been going nuts on this & was about to send in the unit for repair.  It's amazing how something can be right in front of you & not see it.

Thank you sir for your help.  You made my day.  Thank you.
2015-6-4
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

rivera_albert@c Posted at 2015-6-5 04:32
Well folks, say hello to the King, the Emperor, the president & CEO of the idiots, me!   Well I th ...

Man, I hate to break this to you - You ain't the only one....

Thanks for saving me having to prove the idiocy here....
2015-6-4
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Well folks, say hello to the King, the Emperor, the president & CEO of the idiots, me!   Well I th ...

Problem solved.  Yay...are we having fun again?  I don't know if you need to readjust for every flight.  I'd check it every time and see if the adjustment maintains over time.  The gimble could drift.  
2015-6-4
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-5 04:38
Problem solved.  Yay...are we having fun again?  I don't know if you need to readjust for every fli ...

Do you know what the difference between reset gimbal yaw & change gimbal mode?  I have one of the back buttons on the transmitter to switch between PFV & Follow
2015-6-4
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

rivera_albert@c Posted at 2015-6-5 05:55
Do you know what the difference between reset gimbal yaw & change gimbal mode?  I have one of the  ...

I haven't used gimble yaw in practical application so I'm a poor resource.  Personally, I don't really like the FPV mode so I stay in follow view.  I can see how the tilt in FPV might be handy for turning but I don't think its conducive to filming.  Perhaps someone else will chime in and help you out with the yaw.
2015-6-4
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Yep the roll adjustment is nice. And no unfortunately the app won't remember that setting when you power down. You'll have to reset or tweak that setting again when you power on.

I've just finished some preliminary tests. Did a quick edit with footage i shot last night and tonight to see how well the footage color grades. Still had to keep tweaking the gimbal roll adjustment. Wish that thing would just stay level like my P2 but at least you can adjust on the fly. (No pun intended)

2015-6-5
Use props
spectrum_dynami
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68389 ft

United States

Hello,

I just tried cooling my P3P down to around 63 F over our air conditioner vent (cool dry air) and immediately performed a cold IMU calibration followed by a Gimbal calibration. My gimbal is now level at start up. Another temporary method  is you can use the gimbal rotation adjustment in the DJI App setting to add or subtract camera tilt. If you do use the DJI App settings adjustment it has to be done every time you start up your drone.  (Not a perfect solution  but a good work around)
2015-6-6
Use props
info.marcelvoss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1795 ft
Netherlands

spectrum_dynami Posted at 2015-6-7 03:27
Hello,

I just tried cooling my P3P down to around 63 F over our air conditioner vent (cool dry air) ...

Just to be absolutely sure...do all of you have a tilted horizon ALL OF THE TIME, or , like me, a horizon that changes tilt during flight?

Mine seems to go wrong when I rotate the Phantom clockwise , and seems to get leveled when I turn counter clockwise. Would changing the gimbal roll value change that behavior?

Like all others here, I would hate to send mine back, but I have to be fast before they tell me to send it in to DJI instead of replacing it with a new one. I also can't  imagine they have to actually change something in the hardware?

Marcel
2015-6-6
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rivera_albert@c Posted at 2015-6-5 05:55
Do you know what the difference between reset gimbal yaw & change gimbal mode?  I have one of the  ...

If I remember correctly (I'm not near any of my Phantom stuff at the moment), the "gimbal yaw" option with those buttons lets you rapidly alternate between having the gimbal point straight out or straight down. The wording is somewhat confusing.

The Change Gimbal Mode is for changing between FPV view of "follow view."

Frankly, it would be nice if the switch options included a few more things than what it currently can do. Just wishful thinking probably.
2015-6-6
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Reset gimble yaw is actually reset gimble tilt..  Chinese I think are using the wrong English word..  What it's meant for is a quick way to put the gimble straight without having to move the dial.. Gimble tilt makes the camera go up and down, gimble roll makes the camera look left and right, and gimble yaw make the camera spinning circle..  Reset gimble yaw should say reset gimble tilt because that is what it does when you push the button..
2015-6-6
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

This thread is a lifesaver! It does appear that this is the #2 most prevalent issue found in the P3, and has a vast number of folks being disappointed in their P3 performance - SO THANK YOU FOR THE SOLUTION, BobbyB! You are a true HERO!

That said, I believe DJI deserves a big hug of appreciation from all of us for a wonderful machine, while receiving A SWIFT KICK IN THE BUTT for NOT CLEARLY pointing out and emphasizing solutions to this major and frequent issue! Say, provide a clear troubleshooting guide or (even better) an upfront mention that this tilted horizon issue may appear?! Come on - how hard would that be?! They have probably lost hundreds of thousands of perfectly good currency in potential future revenue from browsing buyers reading about these issues over and over again. It is scary risking so much money. People should never, ever be concerned that their $1000+ purchase may be a bummer in any respect. AND new owners should never have to crawl the internet looking for solutions to issues after the purchase is made!  It just ain't right, Man!

Oh, and the #1 most frequent (my opinion) issue which forces folks to search EVERYWHERE for answers? That would be a the absense of a COMPREHENSIVE LIST of tablets that work with the P3 Pilot App! Offering only a rather pitiful short list in DJI's FAQ section forces us all to spend hours of usually fruitless searching elsewhere on the web. Why would such a list be important? Firstly, the tablet or phone mounted to your controller is absolutely essential to the full intended enjoyment and features of this fine product; it's like the eyes in your head or the control panel of your car - the device and the Pilot App on it are VITAL yes? Secondly, THEY CAN AFFORD TO BUY AND TEST SAY, 100+ TABLETS and add to that as technology improves. Geez - most device companies would be glad to provide a few models to them to test for FREE!  In fact, DJI would be smart to establish a test lab expressly for that purpose, right next door to the software department.  

It will be a big WIN/WIN for DJI to provide answers to help us avoid spending a ton of precious time searching for issues and solutions on the internet...instead of flying.

Just my two cents.
2015-6-6
Use props
t0mmyK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119111 ft

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed horizon tilt issue with my drone as well. I made IMU and gimbal calibration but I didn't have the chance to fly it yet.
However what I noticed is that even when it is in idle, placed on the table the picture from the camera is tilted.
Is it normal or it should be leveled?

Regards,
Tom
2015-6-8
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
United States

t0mmyK Posted at 2015-6-8 18:20
Hello Everyone,

I have noticed horizon tilt issue with my drone as well. I made IMU and gimbal cali ...

I just upgraded firmware, did imu calibration, gimbal calibration, tilted horizon is back, I was hoping Dji was going to resolve the issue with lates firmware,  it's getting frustrating having to deal with this again, I know I can adjust gimbal, but it should not be an issue, never had this issue with vision 2 plus.  Please DJI, take care of this, I love the phantom 3, but this is not fair to us.
2015-6-20
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
United States

rivera_albert@c Posted at 2015-6-21 04:46
I just upgraded firmware, did imu calibration, gimbal calibration, tilted horizon is back, I was h ...

This is really getting frustrating.  I have followed every tip, idea, technique I have found on this forum to try & correct my tilted gimbal issue.  It works for a while, then sometimes it comes back.  Nobot seems to know if this is a software issue or hardware.  Im not sure if I should send it in for repair, wait who knows for how many weeks, or sit tight for a firmware solution.  I know that others are also having this issue.
2015-7-2
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Okay, let's face it. There appears now to be some evidence that the roll motor output shaft may be mis-positioned on some of our P3's.  Actually, there was a Youtube instruction recently showing the NOT RECOMMENDED surgery to correct the problem - if indeed the shaft problem exists - but I cannot find the link or the courage  to try it. As a 30-year manufacturing engineer, I can see how this might occur in the assembly process when a go/no-go design is absent. Variation happens. It is not the best situation, but no need to panic - DJI has some really smart people, and they will eventually solve this for us.

If no software or DIY fixes become available from DJI pretty soon, does anyone have an idea of a workaround for now - other than adjusting roll every fight? Sounds silly, but what if you do the IMU and gimbal calibration on a slightly tilted surface? The pull of gravity direction won't change of course, but this would do one of two things: It would straighten the image, or it would REALLY mess things up! I'd try it, but live in a congested area full of trees - only nearby clear places are lakes and an Air Force base (no thank you).

There just has to be a good permanent patch or technique.  Hey! Maybe DJI could offer a way to SAVE the roll adjustment - THAT would be great!
2015-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules