Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Little confused about Crystal Sky and maps
2375 4 2018-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anthony8858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9711 ft
United States

My Crystal Sky 7.85 Highbright will be arriving tomorrow. yay
I've been doing some reading and watching youtube videos and I have a couple questions.

1) CS is only WIFI, so live map streaming is not possible without a hotspot. I will NOT use a hotspot, but instead download maps for the designated area. However, no matter how many instructional videos I watch, I do NOT see the option to download maps in the Go4 app.
Maybe someone can show me where to find this option.

2) I understand CS has a built in GPS.. Whats the role of the GPS in the monitor?

Just need a little clarification.. Using the CS doesn't seem as straight forward as connecting an iPad.
2018-11-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

2) I understand CS has a built in GPS.. Whats the role of the GPS in the monitor?
Almost every Android tablet has a GPS receiver so it's no great surprise that the CS does as well.
It's of very limited use for you.
The only two flight functions that can use it are:
Follow-me flight
Resetting the home point to the current location of the controller.
So if you don't do follow-me or fly from a moving car or boat, it's no use at all.
2018-11-30
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Anthony,

Good choice!  If you find that the screen is not bright enough, you can easily make a sunshade for it like I did.  Look for the DJI 7.85 CS sunshade to see what the design looks like (the sides have to be open).

As for saved maps.  That has been a real pain.  But, at one point I was able to download the Native program for the maps (I think it was Here! maps) and that allowed me to save maps for use without WiFi.  I think the current map provider is MapBox.  They have a controller app that is available (or so I have heard), so maybe they will allow you to download or save maps for use without WiFi.  Worth looking at anyway.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-30
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The role of GPS in the monitor is to allow apps (like DJI GO) to find the mobile device's current location.
2018-12-1
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Crystal Sky uses "MapBox" not Google Maps which makes things very difficult. You need a Wi_Fi connection and if the maps do not appear, keep entering and closing the App until they do. If you use your iPad you will have Google Maps. The 7.85  Ultra Bright is a bit too bright. You can lower the intensity with the upper left Menu. There is also a Sun Shade Screen Protector av mailable from DJI, a bit pricy, but a great quality add on.
2018-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules