Damage from starting up Mavic Air with Gimbal Protector?
8178 8 2018-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stormageddons
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14472 ft
Canada

Hi there,

I just got my Mavic Air a couple days ago, and unfortunately, when I went to fly it this most recent time, I forgot to take my gimbal protector off before turning the drone on! My phone wasn't connected yet, so I'm not sure if there were any errors as a result of this happening. I turned off the drone, removed the gimbal protector, turned it back on, and then connected my phone and controller. I proceeded to recalibrate the gimbal and everything seems to be fine with it.

I've read a lot of posts online from people forgetting their gimbal protectors on their drones, and the general consensus seems to be that forgetting to take your protector off once or twice probably won't break it (at most, it'll trigger a "gimbal overload" warning), but that repeatedly doing it can break the gimbal. However, almost all of the posts I can find are talking about the Mavic Pro. While I'm sure the Air would be no different, I just figured I'd check: does this also apply to the Mavic Air? That is to say, if the protector is left on by accident once or twice during startup, is the drone likely to be fine?

I obviously don't intend to leave the protector on, but accidents do happen! I should probably attach a ribbon so it doesn't happen again haha.

Sorry if there's a post already regarding this, I personally wasn't able to find anything specifically about the Mavic Air's gimbal. I might just be bad at searching though haha.

Thanks in advance!
2018-12-1
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Should not have problem a few times. I did it a few time before to calibrate the gimbal.
2018-12-1
Use props
Bart B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 878852 ft
United States

Forgotten a couple times at first on my MPZ so far no issues.
2018-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Stormageddons, thank you for bringing this query to us. A gimbal error may occur if the gimbal's motion is obstructed. Just to make it sure, we strongly suggest removing the gimbal cover from the camera before turning ON. Have a safe flight always.
2018-12-2
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never heard of anyone damaging the gimbal by leaving the gimbal protector attached. However, it's something you certainly want to always remove before powering on your Mavic. Attaching a ribbon to the gimbal protector sounds like a good option for you if you don't think you're always going to be able to remember to remove it.

2018-12-3
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

The gimbal uses brushless motors for the 3 axis. There are no gears or anything to strip like one might think. However when you hold a brushless motor from moving when electrical power is applied to it you create heat. Do it long enough and create enough heat and you will burn out the wire windings inside the tiny motors. Once or twice wont hurt it, but if you leave the protector on for long periods with power turned on I could see that causing enough heat to do some damage.
2018-12-5
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I've flown my MA having forgotten to take the gimbal protector off before.  Didn't realize it until I took off and the video was terrible.  I landed, removed it and took off again.  No damage done.
2018-12-5
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Happened to me once but now I really make a point of pre-flight checking.
2018-12-6
Use props
djiuser_R79Ab7tfGlri
lvl.1
United States

dont slow down Posted at 2018-12-5 06:59
The gimbal uses brushless motors for the 3 axis. There are no gears or anything to strip like one might think. However when you hold a brushless motor from moving when electrical power is applied to it you create heat. Do it long enough and create enough heat and you will burn out the wire windings inside the tiny motors. Once or twice wont hurt it, but if you leave the protector on for long periods with power turned on I could see that causing enough heat to do some damage.

Thank you so much for the peace of mind Lol Appreciate your knowledge!
2020-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules