Using a chopper to take down a drone.
1007 12 2018-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Pretty bizar and imho completely irresponsible. Call for a chopper to take down  a drone.

Dutch read
Google translated

2018-12-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow - not impressive - thanks for sharing
2018-12-7
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not the first time a helicopter was deployed to take out a drone...Great Falls, VA in 2014 comes to mind instantly.  Personally, seems an extreme measure to take, but, I don't get what the drone pilot was thinking either.  It seems pretty obvious they are throwing things in an unfriendly or unappreciative manner.  Take the hint, leave them alone.  Also, did the drone pilot not hear the helicopter coming?
2018-12-7
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As far as I am concerned that is 2 irresponsible pilots, drone and helicopter pilots.
2018-12-7
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Heli could have hurt someone when it shot the drone back to the water. Irresponsible flying on both pilots.
2018-12-7
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

maihem.rc Posted at 12-7 06:21
Not the first time a helicopter was deployed to take out a drone...Great Falls, VA in 2014 comes to mind instantly.  Personally, seems an extreme measure to take, but, I don't get what the drone pilot was thinking either.  It seems pretty obvious they are throwing things in an unfriendly or unappreciative manner.  Take the hint, leave them alone.  Also, did the drone pilot not hear the helicopter coming?

Indeed, bizar actions from both.
2018-12-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

XJET on YouTube gives a fairly good "rant" about this incident, and I agree, both pilots here were totally out of line, but the actions of the heli pilot were almost criminal, and I'd be taking away his pilots license forever after this stunt!

2018-12-7
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

A poor show for both pilots.
2018-12-7
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

2 wrongs don't make a right
2018-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah. Saw it on FB.
Stupid x 10
2018-12-7
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

First you have to wonder if the surfing meet organisation had exclusive access by contract with the local coastguard and area authority? Then what public notice did they put out that bans anyone else from aerial filming in the area? Does a 'congested area' extend into the sea? I would hazard a guess 'no' to all three questions. So in effect the organisers of the event and the subcontracted helicopter pilot were completely in the wrong before any drone was launched into the air. As to the foolish behaviour thereafter surely that would garner a suspension of the pilot's license, plus for their license to operate commercially - and the meet organisers could also be on the hook for a fine if they specifically instructed the helicopter pilot to 'downdraft' the drone. Aside from all that the Mavic pilot should have flown out of the area given that it would have been obvious there was a helicopter flying in the same space.
2018-12-7
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

I fully agree that both pilots were being irresponsible.  What I cannot understand is why the drone pilot did not land when the chopper came onto the scene.
2018-12-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
2018-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules