1477 15 2018-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Howdy All.

How many of you do actual flight planning, like which route you want to fly etc, for leisure flying?

I use Google Earth to determine heights from where I will be flying and then set my RTH to 20m higher than the highest point for that flight.
2018-12-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. I would recommend as well checking the preferred location if it would be restricted or not. You can use the link below to check it. Thank you for the continued support and have a safe flight always!
https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2018-12-10
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

DJI Tony Posted at 12-10 13:35
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. I would recommend as well checking the preferred location if it would be restricted or not. You can use the link below to check it. Thank you for the continued support and have a safe flight always!
https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Thank you, however I`m not even close to a restricted zone.
2018-12-10
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Normally I just pull up - Think this is a great area, check the NFZ and wind and off I go! Seen some amazing things that way.
2018-12-10
Use props
peter walker
New

Indonesia

Klinik Utama Gracia merupakan salah satu klinik terpercaya di Jakarta untuk mengobati masalah kesehatan andrologi, ginekologi dan penyakit kelamin. Dengan dibantu dengan peralatan medis yang canggih dan modern serta tenaga medis yang ahli dibidangnya, membuat Klinik Utama Gracia menjadi tempat rekomendasi untuk pengobatan.
2018-12-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sometimes - if I'm flying at a new location I have no visited before.
2018-12-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

4WDaus Posted at 12-10 17:07
Normally I just pull up - Think this is a great area, check the NFZ and wind and off I go! Seen some amazing things that way.

I used to do that but since I`m now trying to get better and more interesting footage I try to plan in some way.

Thank you for your comment though.
2018-12-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-10 22:58
For my Waypoint missions I plan them in advance, performing manual RECON flights for city missions to determine required altitudes & test approach vectors to interesting scenes.

For manual flying I generally just eyeball something interesting in the distance & head that way.  My RTH altitude is usually fixed @ 650' since than covers me for city flights.  If I lose signal I am usually behind something so as soon as the bird pops back into view & contact is restored I cancel the RTH.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I agree. The main reason why I plan is for the exact same scenario. Loss of signal.
2018-12-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 12-11 02:21
Sometimes - if I'm flying at a new location I have no visited before.

Makes a lot of sense as one can easily lose sight due to weather conditions.

Thank you for your reply.
2018-12-11
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

HendrikJB Posted at 12-10 16:40

I have no plan whatsoever,  like yourself NFZ where i live does not exist,  so I usually follow the river and the hills, for something new I will go a couple of miles up the road where there is all kinds of things to discover from the air. safe flying Hendrik
2018-12-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HendrikJB Posted at 12-10 16:40

Hi, we're glad that there are no restrictions on your end. Please have a safe flight ahead and enjoy flying!
2018-12-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Picanoc Jack Posted at 12-11 06:50
I have no plan whatsoever,  like yourself NFZ where i live does not exist,  so I usually follow the river and the hills, for something new I will go a couple of miles up the road where there is all kinds of things to discover from the air. safe flying Hendrik

Thank you Bro.
Same to you!!
2018-12-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

DJI Tony Posted at 12-11 08:43
Hi, we're glad that there are no restrictions on your end. Please have a safe flight ahead and enjoy flying!

Thank you, I most definitely enjoy the flying. Trying to get better control all the time.
2018-12-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I very seldom fly just for fun, always plan where I am going to fly, I sometimes use google maps or just do a recci when I arrive on site, then I figure out what might look the best and what’s the best way to fly to get the best coverage, also taking into account what photos might look best and if I can see/find some good compositions.

But before I fly I always check around to find at least two safe landing areas if something were to go wrong.

I always keep these two below things in my head when flying, and always use both preflight list and shut down check.

1/ Loss of GPS
Loss of GPS will lead to SUA drifting with the wind. Inertial Monitoring Unit (IMU) will maintain aircraft stability. Return-to-Home function will be lost. GPS signal can be lost when operating in mountainous areas, built-up areas, forest areas and any other areas where GPS signals are blocked. Vision positioning systems may not work if heights in excess of 5m are maintained.

Actions
• Maintain lateral position using right stick (mode 2) control inputs
• Land as soon as practical

2/ Forced Landing
If the stability of the SUA is in doubt, it is best to attempt an immediate landing instead of returning to land at the assigned landing point. Delay in landing might allow stability issue deteriorate further. Suitable Emergency Landing sites must always be identified and briefed prior to flight.
Actions
• Route to pre-determined Emergency Landing site
• Land

2018-12-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 12-11 11:24
I very seldom fly just for fun, always plan where I am going to fly, I sometimes use google maps or just do a recci when I arrive on site, then I figure out what might look the best and what’s the best way to fly to get the best coverage, also taking into account what photos might look best and if I can see/find some good compositions.

But before I fly I always check around to find at least two safe landing areas if something were to go wrong.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Though I fly mostly for pleasure I keep all these things in mind anyway.  I did the RPL Training in Johannesburg and passed with a mark of 81%.

Kind regards.
2018-12-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 12-11 06:36
Makes a lot of sense as one can easily lose sight due to weather conditions.

Thank you for your reply.

You're welcome
2018-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules